Behind the Scene Tour

Monalis

I have heard that NCL has a Behind the Scenes Tour, kind of like Carnival's. Can anyone tell me any information about it, price (I think it's $55pp), where to sign up (Guest services, shore excursions?), are there any goodies or extras included in the price like a picture with the Captain?

We are heading out on the Jewel in 4.5 days and this is something we are a bit interested in. Thanks.

In September on the Jewel, it was $55 per person. I booked through the concierge (suite) but guest services is where you do it.

Typically done on the last full sea day of the voyage. Pictures of the bridge officers are possible (there are restrictions on video on the bridge). The captain did not participate in the tour when I did it. First officer was there though and was happy to take a photo or two.

If you're interested in some photos and a review of what you might see (spoiler alert), I posted just that a little while back:

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40004566&postcount=40 (post #40 through #48)

It's a fun tour, about 2 hours, lots of walking... read the review, you'll see.

Edited by triptolemus

Yes, it was $55 when we did it too. They limit the number of participants so the group doesn't get to large so, if you're interested, sign up early in the cruise. I remember it being a lot of walking too and I thought it was more than 2 hours. More like 3 1/2. It was very interesting and worth it, to us anyway.

I did I on the Gem last year. It was $55 and you signed up at Guest Services. It was very popular as they ran it on multiple days and they still filled up quickly. There is a lot of walking. Our tour met the Captain when we went in the Bridge and he allowed you to take still pictures of the Bridge and with him.

Awesome, thanks everyone. This is our first cruise on NCL, our last 2 being on Carnival. We have never done the Behind the Scenes tour (opted for the Chef's Table last year). It's alot more expensive, but you get a bunch of goodies on the other line, but can't take pictures. I just think it would be interesting to see how things work, and the Hubs is hoping to see the engine room, and I am always interested in the galley and food prep/storage and housekeeping areas (though I told him that probably won't happen). We'll be sure to sign up as soon as we board on Sunday!!

and the Hubs is hoping to see the engine room, and I am always interested in the galley and food prep/storage and housekeeping areas (though I told him that probably won't happen).

Engine room 99% likely will not happen.

Galley, food storage, housekeeping/laundry 99.9% will happen.

Did you look at the pics in the link i posted above?

Yep, the paid tour usually is MDR galley, food storage and preparation areas, laundry facilities, waste management/recycling, theatre backstage and bridge (either access to bridge itself or only the bridge viewing room (if available), it completely depends on the amount of tour groups and the captain on duty - we've been on both kind of tours).

Also if there are several groups at the same time, the order of stops can be reversed - this July on Jade we met another tour group going in opposite direction when we were approaching the theatre.

And once you reach Latitudes Platinum status, the ship's tours are free.

Unfortunately while the tours used to be the same, it seems that since this summer they have been rolling out new light version of the tour for Platinum members. The shorter tour is (in my experience) held by the Cruise Consultant, is much poorer by the information content and is a lot shorter (about an hour) - we went on both Platinum and normal tours this July on Jade.

Engine room 99% likely will not happen.

Galley, food storage, housekeeping/laundry 99.9% will happen.

Did you look at the pics in the link i posted above?

Yup looked at the pics, and can't wait. He'll just have to be happy with the bridge. lol

Yup looked at the pics, and can't wait. He'll just have to be happy with the bridge. lol

While the engine spaces are restricted (even most crew are not allowed), I believe the tour includes the Engine Control Room, where the Chief will explain things, and there will be CCTV cameras showing the engine spaces.

While the engine spaces are restricted (even most crew are not allowed), I believe the tour includes the Engine Control Room, where the Chief will explain things, and there will be CCTV cameras showing the engine spaces.

Never on all NCL ship tours we've been on. Maybe an another cruise line?

Carnival its the Engine Control Room, not where the engines are. Still very interesting. Carnival NO PICTURES are allowed, they even use a metal detector to enforce this, no cameras cell phones etc.

Security is with you in the engine control room and the bridge. Three pictures are provided from the ship, group shot on the bow (weather permitting), group shot with Captain or Officer and your party shot with Captain or Officer.

Never been on NCL tour, might try it this time. Have been on bridge tour with Cruise Critic Meet and Greet Group.

I've done a galley tour (as part of the Chef's Table experience) and also a bridge tour because our concierge invited us (we were in a suite) on Star. I remember that for several sailings before that one (March of this year) they did offer a bridge tour especially for those at the Meet & Greet, but on the sailing I was on they did not. I had hosted that Meet & Greet myself, but the tour I went on was only guests from the higher category suites. I don't know if they offered any other bridge tours for other groups aside from those who paid for a behind-the-scenes tour and nobody from the M&G mentioned being asked to go to one.

It was all fascinating. On the bridge tour we were served champagne and mimosas. On the galley tour they served us warm chocolate chip cookies. :) The Chef's Table was to-die-for and included an unspeakable amount of food, champagne and wine, so the galley tour was the following morning. If you are going to do a galley tour, you will NEED closed toe shoes or they won't allow you to proceed. Some areas can be wet and slick.

Unfortunately while the tours used to be the same, it seems that since this summer they have been rolling out new light version of the tour for Platinum members. The shorter tour is (in my experience) held by the Cruise Consultant, is much poorer by the information content and is a lot shorter (about an hour) - we went on both Platinum and normal tours this July on Jade.

Must depend on the ship? We are Platinum and last month on the Star I went on the Behind the Scenes tour for Platinum. It was led by a ship's officer and was quite lengthy. We spent more than an hour touring the kitchen areas for various prep and storage areas. Then we spent time in the laundry listening to explanations and watching machines that dry tablecloths and towels and then fold them automatically. After that, since the captain allowed bridge tours, we spent more than thirty minutes on the bridge where the electronics were explained and questions answered.