Why no cabins available????

LDVinNC

We previously traveled on the American Queen and loved it. We want to go again, so when we received a "2 for 1" email TODAY that gave available dates and cabin categories, we called right away and the only categories available were inside (and we want outside) on the two dates I asked about. They sent the email TODAY and are already booked? I am surprised and disappointed with them.

I am certainly not an apologist for AQSC, but come on! The whole idea is for the company to sell all cabins on the boat at a price the market will allow. The management should know by now the general trend for sales and how the inventory sells. Perhaps the inside rooms don't sell as well and to discount them heavily will ensure those rooms are filled. I can't see that AQSC has done anything wrong. These days to get the best price for travel one just has to be very flexible with their travel dates.

I agree - but I did not snooze. Received the email at 8 am EST (7 am CST in Memphis) before the offices were open. Called shortly after they opened and nothing was available. I called back and we are now waitlisted. A good compromise. If they had offered that option on my first call, I would not have complained.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree - but I did not snooze. Received the email at 8 am EST (7 am CST in Memphis) before the offices were open. Called shortly after they opened and nothing was available. I called back and we are now waitlisted. A good compromise. If they had offered that option on my first call, I would not have complained.

If you clear the waitlist, will you get the sale price, or will you have to pay a higher amount if you clear the waitlist?

I took the approach of asking them (via my TA) what dates were available with my desired cabin cat, and then selected from that list. I think "sales" require flexibility on the pax part. They are not misleading the public when every cat on every date is not available, imho. I would have preferred a later sailing, but I'm satisfied with what I got.

In reply to the question about getting the sale price if we clear the waitlist, the answer is yes. I checked with them yesterday and we are now at the top of the waitlist in our category. Final payment for the trip is due at the end of this month, so we should know soon if we will make the trip. I got another email just today with the same offer.