Block parties

Nigella

Not being a sailor, to my ear "stern glands" sounds like something one would buy in the butcher's :p. A bit like sweetbreads. Nice lightly fried with a squeeze of lemon juice.
LOVE all this British humor! I have no idea what stern glands are?? As an American I don't like the block parties either but maybe it's because I am never ready in time to enjoy all afternoon activities, have a drink in the club and make dinner! The block party just slows me down more from all the things I like on Seabourn! Edited by redheadednancy

What a silly thread!

Why is a thread asking whether Seabourn still holds block parties any more silly than a hundred other questions/thread topics that people post every day?

Edited by Nigella

LOVE all this British humor! I have no idea what stern glands are?? As an American I don't like the block parties either but maybe it's because I am never ready in time to enjoy all afternoon activities, have a drink in the club and make dinner! The block party just slows me down more from all the things I like on Seabourn!

Nancy, I've noticed that nobody has explained to me what stern glands are yet, so I'll have to resort to Google. :D

I find that there's plenty of opportunity to meet people on the ships anyway, because they're small. Most of our cruises have been 14 days plus, which gives lots of time to get to know many of our fellow guests.

Stern glands are the bit which stops water ingress into a vessel where the prop shafts go through the hull assuming traditional shaft driven rather that outboard, out drives or pods.

There are many different designs but traditionally you need to pack them the some form of material and lots of grease. No one likes doing the job hence we got a very good rate on the cabin :)

Oh, and as for bumping into people late at night in the corridors I meant you are unlikely to see them once you have disembarked the ship and are back home on dry land.

Henry :)

Stern glands are the bit which stops water ingress into a vessel where the prop shafts go through the hull assuming traditional shaft driven rather that outboard, out drives or pods.

There are many different designs but traditionally you need to pack them the some form of material and lots of grease. No one likes doing the job hence we got a very good rate on the cabin :)

Oh, and as for bumping into people late at night in the corridors I meant you are unlikely to see them once you have disembarked the ship and are back home on dry land.

Henry :)

I can't imagine why Nigella and I did not know what Stern glands were! :) Thanks for the explanation. We will be very informed if this should EVER come up in a conversation???? I miss MarianH on these Boards and Writer100....their posts were the funniest but they have left the Seabourn boards for greener pastures! Both writers with great wit, one American, one British!!!

I was last on a little sister and there was no block party

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

I think it depends on the CD, if they want to organize one, and the itinerary and how much time they have. Last spring on the Pride we had lots of sea days and on each segment they had a block party Edited by redheadednancy

Hey, sure hope there's lots of these then! Even at the Pool Bar I've lately been having trouble holding anyone for long. But, from this, it seems they'll be standing outside my front door for some time. How good is that! Tho', on reflection, an Owner's really has just the one opposite... Will I be welcomed down the corridor a bit? Who cares, count me in!

Never had a block party on Seabourn but most always on another luxury line, if the cruise is long enough. I personally enjoy meeting the people who are in my hallway so that I can speak by name to them throughout the cruise.