Epic Review - November 16-23

soccersharon

Funny story, which I should have included in my St. Thomas portion of the review.

We stopped at the Mountain Top, and as I was shopping, I asked my husband to buy us a couple of banana daquiris. The woman who served him asked if he was here with his wife, to which my husband replied yes. She then proceeded to pour a triple-shot of rum into my drink! I knew something was up, because after my first sip, I could feel the alcohol in my knees! It wasn't until after I had completely finished my drink, that my husband told me the story. Great drink!

Sunny Liston is wonderful. He is high energy, and gets the bus singing (still humming a few songs in my head!). Sunny is professional, and I would highly recommend him. You can book his tours directly through his website here: http://www.sunnylistontours.com/

Did you book this as a private tour? We are thinking about doing this in January. Go to Sapphire Beach and mountain top. There are only 4 of us or do they wait until the bus is full? And can you tell me the difference between Mountain Top and Paradise Point.

Mary

Hi Sharon, we are heading on the Epic for the first time in January. I am pretty nervous about going on such a large ship and your review is certainly helping! I see you were in 10082, we have 10080 booked.

Can you tell me about the balcony? Was it a good size? In talking with NCL, my PCC indicated that the B6 cabin balconies are anywhere from 90 - 150 sq ft. Is it large enough for a lounger (assuming that is possible?)

Thanks so much and I am really looking forward to more of your review!

Jai

Hi Jai,

My advice - don't be nervous, and approach your cruise with a positive attitude :) Things may not go exactly as you planned / hoped; just roll with it. You'll have a great time!

Yes, 10080 was right next to me. Please see the deck plan below. 10080 certainly seems larger when compared to 10082. When we first entered our cabin, there was a lounge chair, two regular chairs, and 2 small tables on our balcony. The room steward took the lounger away - but everything fit.

According to the deck plans, cabin 10082's balcony size is 56 sq. ft, and yours, cabin 10080, is 65 sq. ft. - so yes, it is larger. I can't answer on the exact dimensions, sorry.

epic_10080.jpg

Enjoy your cruise! Hope you come back and post a few pics and share your thoughts.

Hi,

I usually dont comment on reviews,but in addition to liking yours,I think its appropriately timed,as there are several threads on here either trashing the Epic or panicked about going on her(upon reading the first). I think your review is interesting,positive and balanced,and I think a few(myself included) have directed people towards yours in order to offset some of the negativity.

That being said,looking forward to reading more! I don't know why,but your balcony pics are luring me into upgrading on my cruise...

Stacey

Hi Stacey,

Thank you for the wonderful compliment :) Over the past few years, I've learned to not take the "everything was perfect" or "everything was horrible" reviews too seriously. Nothing is perfect - it's how one reacts to a situation that's key.

Was everything perfect for us? Nope. But we did not encounter anything which I would describe as horrible. The seasickness we experienced the first couple of days was surprising, but we went prepared, and really, it was not the end of the world.

I'll be posting more of my thoughts, in point form, at the end of the pictorial.

As for the balcony, if you can afford it, do it! I won't sail without one anymore. I love, love, love looking out into the ocean. We actually got to see (from a distance) a Disney ship's fireworks, shooting stars, and during the day, flying fish! I find it so calming and relaxing. Big highlight for us on any cruise. Come back and let me know what you decide :)

Did you book this as a private tour? We are thinking about doing this in January. Go to Sapphire Beach and mountain top. There are only 4 of us or do they wait until the bus is full? And can you tell me the difference between Mountain Top and Paradise Point.

Mary

Hi Mary!

Yes, we booked Sunny privately through his website. He will ask for a small PayPal deposit, and the balance is payable on the morning of your tour. Our first tour with Sunny, we went to Sapphire with the kids. We had a blast :) We were anxious to tour with him again.

Paradise Point is closer to the cruise terminal, and overlooks Havensight Mall. and Mountain Top overlooks Megan's Bay. Here's their website for more info. http://www.mountaintopvi.com/

After a great day in St. Thomas, we decided to try the Noodle Bar for dinner. This was one of my favourite meals on the Epic. We started with Pork pot stickers, fried (you can select steamed as well). Very good! I chose the singapore noodles, which were nice and spicy. Just the way I like it! Mike chose (I think) the Peking Style Shrimp and Chicken. Delicious and worth the small surcharge. Here's a menu: http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/noodle_bar.pdf

We were really looking forward to the Legends Show. The band was awesome! They could really play, considering the 3 styles they worked with: Steven Tyler from Aerosmith, Katy Perry, and Elvis.

Of the 3 performers, Steven Tyler blew away Katy and Elvis. He had his vocals, moves, gestures, facial expressions - everything down to a "T". We often saw him around the ship, chatting with fellow passengers.

After the show, I managed to get a picture with "Steven":

steven_tyler_epic.jpg

Many of my friends couldn't get over how much of a resemblance there was to the real Steven Tyler!

The Elvis impersonator was just ok. Didn't have the moves, but sang quite well. Katy Perry was meh.

Still, all and all, a good show.

Afterwards, we went and grabbed a coffee, and walked around the ship. After walking around, we decided to listen to the piano player and vocalist at Shaker's Martini Bar. Great place to have a quiet drink, and listen to some music.

Again, an early night (I think we're getting old!). We thoroughly enjoyed our day with our friends in St. Thomas, and look forward to going back again some day soon.

Sea Day

Beautiful day at sea!

Epic2013235.jpg

After our usual morning routine of room service, enjoying our balcony, and getting ready for the day, we set off to our roll call Cabin Crawl. I am so glad we decided to put this together, and am very grateful to those folks who opened their cabins up to us.

We decided to start our tour in Studio Lounge. Norwegian really caters to the solo traveler, and we had quite a few on our roll call. It was wonderful for them to meet up with others and have dinner together, plan excursions, and have company for the cruise. Truly an innovative concept, and well-received.

The Studio Lounge Area

Epic2013247.jpg

Sorry, I didn't get pics of the studio cabin I saw, but a quick Google search should provide you with some great pictures.

On our way the next stop, through the studio corridor. The lighting in here was funky and fun.

Epic2013249.jpg

We saw a regular balcony cabin, which was just a little smaller than a mini-suite. The balcony appeared to be about the same size. Very pretty cabin, and I would certainly stay in one.

Next on our tour was an aft penthouse. Wow! Just beautiful. The views alone are worth the price.

Epic2013253.jpg

Epic2013259.jpg

Cabin Crawl, cont'd

We saw an interior accessible cabin as well. Very rooms and well-adapted for those travelers in wheelchairs or scooters. Very tastefully decorated, like all the other staterooms on the ship.

The showstopper of our tour was the The Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite. We were completely blown away at it's beauty, functionality, and décor.

Just a few pictures of the Epic Club Lounge

Epic2013260.jpg

Epic2013261.jpg

Epic2013262.jpg

Epic2013263.jpg

Epic2013264.jpg

Hi Jai,

My advice - don't be nervous, and approach your cruise with a positive attitude :) Things may not go exactly as you planned / hoped; just roll with it. You'll have a great time!

Yes, 10080 was right next to me. Please see the deck plan below. 10080 certainly seems larger when compared to 10082. When we first entered our cabin, there was a lounge chair, two regular chairs, and 2 small tables on our balcony. The room steward took the lounger away - but everything fit.

According to the deck plans, cabin 10082's balcony size is 56 sq. ft, and yours, cabin 10080, is 65 sq. ft. - so yes, it is larger. I can't answer on the exact dimensions, sorry.

epic_10080.jpg

Enjoy your cruise! Hope you come back and post a few pics and share your thoughts.

Thanks Sharon! Believe me, I am going in with an amazing attitude, but going from the Sun to the Epic is crazy to me. But we are really excited to go and give her a try! Thanks for answering!

Jai

I am enjoying your review of your Epic cruise very much. Thanks for posting it and the great photos.

I was booked on the sailing the week before yours, but had to cancel due to some uncontrollable happenings in my life. I cancelled in time for a full refund. It broke my heart to do so, as I had planned the cruise about a year away and spent months on here reading every review and comment and looking soooo forward to the cruise.

Anyhow....I still do plan to cruise on this ship some time when I am able to, and your honest and balanced review encourages me to keep looking to the future with optimism.

Thanks again for your excellent review. :)

We had a lovely time! Juli and John arranged for some treats, and someone brought wine (sorry, can't remember who!). We had a fabulous roll call, and we became friends. For the size of the ship, and the number of passengers traveling on her, it amazed me how we could always count on bumping into a friend or two.

Sun was setting, and we headed back to the cabin to get ready for sushi tonight!

Epic2013284.jpg

The Wasabi Sushi bar was very enjoyable. We each started with a miso soup. Very good and nice and warm. They keep that ship cold!

We decided to order 2 Diamond combo plates, which included Ahi Sashimi, Ebi Sushi, Rainbow Roll, California Roll. For $12.00 per person, very reasonable, and very good. Here's the rest of the Wasabi menu: http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/18372_sushi%20web%20Epic%20.pdf

Now remember, I'm trying to stay awake so we can get to the White Hot Party. So far, so good!

Of course, after filling up on sushi, we went for, you guessed it, a coffee! Must stay awake!

After coffee, it's time to head back to the cabin, to change into our "whites" for the evening. I think I'm going to make it! Yay!

Epic2013289.jpg

We saw our cruise director, Soozie who told us that the last 2 WHP were held indoors, because the weather didn't cooperate. It sure was great for us! Big crowd at Spice H20, great music, and a fantastic atmosphere.

Here's yours truly whooping it up with Mike

Epic2013292.jpg

We met up with some folks from our roll call, and danced until everything hurt! Best evening on the Epic, and I'm so glad I managed to stay up for it!

After a couple more drinks on deck, we decided to call it a night. It was about 2:30 am by the time we went to sleep. Way past my bedtime!

Edited by soccersharon

Nassau

Needless to say, we slept in. Thankfully, no hangover this morning!

Our arrival time in Nassau was scheduled for noon, but we arrived a little earlier. It always amazes me how the captain can get a monster ship backed into a spot!

Approaching Nassau. Looked like a storm up ahead.

Epic2013294.jpg

The view looking aft

Epic2013298.jpg

There's our parking spot!

Epic2013302.jpg

Squeezing in next to the Sensation

Epic2013309.jpg

Almost there

Epic2013319.jpg

I have to admit that it was pretty cool being on the Epic, and watching folks on other ships looking her over in amazement :)

Our view

Epic2013311.jpg

Epic2013313.jpg

Epic2013314.jpg

Epic2013315.jpg

We had decided not to get of the ship today. We had visited Nassau in 2008, and did not feel the need, on this day, to revisit the city. We've always gotten off at every port we've visited, so we were looking forward to near empty ship.

While on the pool deck, we bumped into Carol and Brian. Carol was going to the beach with friends, so we sat talking to Brian. A couple of drinks later, and it was time for lunch. We got Brian back into his wheelchair, and went to the Garden Café. Again, the offerings did not disappoint, and I ended up with a pretty full plate of food. We had a nice lunch, chatting and laughing with our new friend. Before long, we decided to go back outside to enjoy the warmth and sun, as tomorrow, we would all be back home to the cold:eek:

At 4:00 pm, we rolled Brian back to his cabin and we headed back to our to start packing and enjoy a little more balcony time.

The sun set quickly

Epic2013325.jpg

Epic2013326.jpg

Epic2013331.jpg

Epic2013333.jpg

After packing, we decided it was time for dinner. We opted for the Garden Café, once again. We enjoyed our last dinner aboard the Epic.

It was a very early night for us. We were content to sit on our balcony (can't get enough of that), and watch the other ships depart. After it was well dark, it was our turn to leave.

Debarkation was the quickest and easiest in 5 cruises. We opted for Easy Walk off Debarkation. Since the elevators were very busy, we decided to walk down stairs to deck 5. We lined up, scanned our cards for the last time, and walked off the ship. I was expecting the usual lines at customs, but that didn't happen either! The agent just asked to see our passports, and that was it. We grabbed a cab to the Miami Airport, and arrived 20 minutes later.

The Air Canada desk was not yet open, so we chatted with other Montrealers coming off their cruises to pass the time. The security line was minimal, and before we new it, we were sitting in the food court having breakfast. Our flight home was on time, and we were looking forward to seeing our kids. It was very cold in Montreal, a harsh "welcome home" from mother nature.

I'm going to take a little break, but will be back with my final thoughts a little later, and some more pictures too.

Thanks Sharon! Believe me, I am going in with an amazing attitude, but going from the Sun to the Epic is crazy to me. But we are really excited to go and give her a try! Thanks for answering!

Jai

I think you'll have a great time too :) We are looking at a Bermuda cruise on the Dawn sometime in our future. Will be interesting going from the Epic to the Dawn for us. Every ship has it's unique personality, and part of the fun is discovering the differences!

I am enjoying your review of your Epic cruise very much. Thanks for posting it and the great photos.

I was booked on the sailing the week before yours, but had to cancel due to some uncontrollable happenings in my life. I cancelled in time for a full refund. It broke my heart to do so, as I had planned the cruise about a year away and spent months on here reading every review and comment and looking soooo forward to the cruise.

Anyhow....I still do plan to cruise on this ship some time when I am able to, and your honest and balanced review encourages me to keep looking to the future with optimism.

Thanks again for your excellent review. :)

My pleasure :) I remember reading you had to cancel. I hope things are better for you now. I'm sure you'll be on the Epic one day soon.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Sharon great job with the review and the Pics just curious how would u compare Carnival to NCL

Hi!

I will be covering my thoughts / comparisons. I did not want to bog down the review, so thought I'd leave it to the end :) Stay tuned, and thank you for following along.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the review, I'm sure you LOVED coming home to our lovely Montreal weather afterwards too :) I'll be on the Epic in January and I've also previously only cruised with Carnival so I'm looking forward to it, I'm doing a back to back Epic/Breeze combo for our 15th wedding anniversary :)

Thanks for the review, I'm sure you LOVED coming home to our lovely Montreal weather afterwards too :) I'll be on the Epic in January and I've also previously only cruised with Carnival so I'm looking forward to it, I'm doing a back to back Epic/Breeze combo for our 15th wedding anniversary :)

Hey, a fellow Montrealer! Yes, walking out of Trudeau airport into the wind was no picnic! I could very easily get used to tropical weather ;)

Wow! A B2B on the Epic and Breeze sounds awesome! Happy anniversary! I'm kicking myself now, of course, but I see the Liberty and Breeze come into POM last Saturday, very early in the morning. The Breeze is my next Carnival cruise, for sure!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Would be great to hear your perspective when you get back.