Bon Voyage Dave (DMWNC1959)!!!

sunsetbeachgal

Hi Carole,

It will take me a day or two to get my thoughts together and put them down in writing. Hopefully in the mean time other folks will also chime in with their reviews and thoughts. Once I get back to West Virginia and download my camera pictures onto Flickr I'll post a link here as well.

I have to 'flip' my hours over again and get ready to go back to a life of midnight shifts. It was nice while it lasted. ;)

Thanks again...I hope you realize how many folks absolutely loved your photos and commentary!

It must be very hard getting your body to change its sleep pattern so dramatically! Good luck!

I won't get home until after midnight so Gray Kitty won't get picked up from my friends house until tomorrow.

It's going to be difficult at best to flip my hours, and will no doubt involve multiple energy drinks.

I'll have to check out this thread on a regular computer since I've only seen it on the small screen of my iPhone.

Looks like Royal Princess is getting ready to leave. I can see the ships from the airport...

11390614536_6e14525abe_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

I have so much I want to post about this cruise. It was great to spend time with Dave and some of the other cruisers and after I have had a good night's sleep in my own bed (although RP beds were wonderful), I will write a review. However, I did want to take a quick moment to comment on something only occasionally seen on any cruise ship (Thankfully!). As Dave mentioned in an earlier post, a gentleman on our cruise had a fatal heart attack. I was present when this happened. The gentleman, part of the Vacations to Go singles group, was dancing in the atrium when he collapsed. A passenger immediately began CPR and was within seconds joined by a crew member. Within minutes the medical staff arrived. They set up portable curtains to shield the victim from immediate view. Because I was one level up, however, I could see the valiant effort made by the team (at least eight from medical and general staff) to try to revive the gentleman. I was impressed by the speed of the response and the efforts made to help as well as efforts made to shield the passengers from the true outcome of this attack. I suspect that the gentleman was dead before he hit the floor, but no effort was spared by the staff. Bravo!

I believe they are late due to a missing life boat which lost a line the other day in Nassau and left at least 2 hrs late and add the issue they have had with only 75 power! Check if you have time and I believe you will see a lifeboat missing!

Yes, that is correct. I sat next to a couple on my flight home today that confirmed that.

Which terminal did they let everybody off at?
They go to as many terminals as they have passengers flying from. One note is that they are not allowed to stop at departures but have to go to a drop-off point beyond or between terminals. When we took this tour after the Royal, the bus went all the way back to the cruise terminal (by then, crowded and busy with arriving passengers) just to drop off the guide. She didn't want to be dropped off at FLL so we had to go back before going on to MIA.

What better way to end a vacation than to have your connecting flight cancelled. Will be spending the night in Dulles. :(

Damn, Dave-everything has been perfect up until this! I hope you are in a nice hotel and have a good dinner and a good night's sleep.

What is the reason for the cancellation? I assume bad weather on the route?

Best wishes!

Norris

What better way to end a vacation than to have your connecting flight cancelled. Will be spending the night in Dulles. :(

Dave,

Did you book airfare thru Princess & did you purchase the insurance? If you did, contact them, I believe you will be compensated.

We enjoyed meeting you and we wish you a safe flight tomorrow. And, Merry Christmas.

Ah......that is truly a downer. Our connecting flight back from Copenhagen to Kansas City was cancelled once we got to Newark. They routed us through O'Hare where we spent a very very long night. It's amazing how dead an airport can be at 3:00 in the morning. Best wishes for a safe flight home tomorrow and thanks again for the fabulous live reporting!

Sorry to hear about your flight cancellation. Reality can be a cruel companion. Of coarse you could look at it as a ticket to another adventure.

Truly enjoyed all your pictures and comments.

Have a good evening and a safe flight home tomorrow.

Marty

Ran into the comedian Carlos Oscar while standing in line at the Passenger Services Desk (yes, they made him stand in line too) and I asked him how long he was on the ship. He told me that he disembarks the next cruise in St. Thomas, so if you are embarking tomorrow DO NOT miss his show!!!

Dave, you are right. We were laughing so hard we were crying. He is hilarious. So glad he performed on our voyage this week!

So nice meeting you and the roll call folks. How nice that the captain was there too!

Sue

So sorry to hear this Dave - hope you've been put up in a nice hotel and can get a good rest before continuing on your way.

As so many have already said, a mere Thank You does not begin to express my gratitude for your generosity in sharing your trip with everyone. Looking forward to your final thoughts once you're home and have had time to recoup from your adventures.

I do hope all your expectations were met and whatever "surprise" that Princess had for you was enjoyable. Kay

Not sure why the flight was cancelled, but the Gate Agent/Customer Service Rep here at Dulles said something in 'airport lingo' that went right over my head, handed me a hotel discount voucher and directions to catch the mobile shuttle to the main IAD terminal, and the next thing I know I'm sitting at the Hilton waiting for 6am so I can head back to the airport for another flight. It's like I was never on vacation to begin with! ;) Oh well, roll with the punches. But I'm not paying $14 for a burger. :eek::D

Hi Dave,

Another one that wants to thank you for all you have given us. I almost wish I'd sailed on the Royal after you & not on the TA since there is so much I missed seeing after viewing all your photos.

Since we have only seen your iPhone 5 photos & they are so beautiful we must all be in for an extra treat seeing the rest on your regular camera. You truly take spectacular pictures.

Hope you make it home safely. Sorry to hear you won't arrive home tonight.

Donna

I hear you about those $14 burgers!!! We stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn, in NJ, one time. I trust you have some snacks with you. Am I assuming you're sitting in the Hilton Lobby, or do you have a room? The weather has really been bad up that way the last couple of days so I'm guessing that your connecting flight couldn't leave from where it was to get you and the others. What airport do you fly into?

I suppose it beats sitting in the airport, but not by much. I've also been in O'Hare after all the stores have closed. Not fun. Dulles may not be much better.

Anyway, I hope you don't have to work tomorrow night. (Monday). I guess this IS your last adventure.....

I missed the turnaround tonight-the Royal going back out-but I'm glad I got to see her arrive this AM.

The next time we hear from you -you may be home!! :)

Lynne

Dave, it was so wonderful to meet you and spend time with you this past week. You are as lovely in person as you are on this forum, full of good humor, informative and a pleasure to know! Thank you for your kind generosity of spirit! Hope I have the opportunity to cruise with you again!

Wow, what wonderful photos of the ships departing at dark....that is one of my favorite parts, and I bet you won the horn contest with the Love Boat Theme. :)

Lynne

Lynne, you are right! The Carnival passengers on deck cheered when they heard the love boat theme. I saw Dave taking pictures up there. It was amazing to experience the Royal backing up and then pivoting around to clear the Carnival ship in the dark. WOW !

Thanks for capturing the neat pics, Dave !

Sue

Busy day with lots of activities like vegetable carving demonstrations...

Carving Demonstration

11354064113_87bc94d286_c.jpg

Dave, glad you got the pics! They took my lanyard and put it on the "tipsy penguin" during the demonstration.

Sorry my sister and I missed the Royal Tea. Simply forgot about it in the midst of all the activities.... Wish we had experienced it.

Sue