Question for Bill re Luxor/Azamazing 29/4

scotpom

Hi Bill

I nearly booked the "Luxor/Valley of the Kings on Sunday April 27th off the Azamara Journey when I noticed an anomaly. This tour starts at 6.30 am and lasts apparently for 14 hours ie.8.30pm back on board and then I saw that the Azamazing evening starts on board at 7.00 pm and is scheduled for three hours. Forgive me if I have my facts wrong but if I don't then you have to accept that this will probably be the most popular tour at this location and the reason why many people are on this cruise, why would anyone in their right mind schedule an Azamazing evening when maybe over half the ship's passengers will be too tired from a long day and even allowing 30 minutes for people who might want to go it's nearly over. If this has been addressed before I've missed it or got my facts wrong I apologise,if not could you clarify please.

Hi Bill

I nearly booked the "Luxor/Valley of the Kings on Sunday April 27th off the Azamara Journey when I noticed an anomaly. This tour starts at 6.30 am and lasts apparently for 14 hours ie.8.30pm back on board and then I saw that the Azamazing evening starts on board at 7.00 pm and is scheduled for three hours. Forgive me if I have my facts wrong but if I don't then you have to accept that this will probably be the most popular tour at this location and the reason why many people are on this cruise, why would anyone in their right mind schedule an Azamazing evening when maybe over half the ship's passengers will be too tired from a long day and even allowing 30 minutes for people who might want to go it's nearly over. If this has been addressed before I've missed it or got my facts wrong I apologise,if not could you clarify please.

Yes, I wondered about that as well? This excursion is one of the selling points of this cruise and we will be booking it but sorely disappointed that we may miss the Azamazing evening. Please advise.

I must admit I thought the Azamazing Evening had been re-scheduled for the 18th April when we are in Fujairah. That port stop has been extended until 10pm. Perhaps Bill can confirm.

Phil

Edit: this post from Bill in July seems to confirm the above http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39289476&postcount=44

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I must admit I thought the Azamazing Evening had been re-scheduled for the 18th April when we are in Fujairah. That port stop has been extended until 10pm. Perhaps Bill can confirm.

Phil

Edit: this post from Bill in July seems to confirm the above http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39289476&postcount=44

Well, if that's the case why have I booked the Azamazing evening on the website today for April 27th?

Phil

Thanks Phil. The confusion seems to come from the fact that the Azamazing Evening is shown in the Shore Excursions section of My Azamara as taking place on 27/4 when we are in Safaga. The website is causing confusion.:confused:

Hi All, We were wondering the same thing as all of you. Also we have a long day the previous day when we are going to Petra so will be double dead!!!

Bill might have put that post up in July but if it is correct, why is it taking so long to correct it on Azamara website. If it isn't correct perhaps Bill will update us all ASAP.

Would really like to be able to attend the Azamazing Evening but haven't signed up for it because of the anomaly.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that it is indeed the 18th April. Itinerary wise it makes perfect sense to do it then. I just wish that the departments within Azamara would talk to each other so anomalies like this don't occur. Having a "report an error" tab on the website which is regularly monitored would help. Sometimes the guests have the best sense of proof reading.

Phil

I'm keeping fingers crossed that it is indeed the 18th April. Itinerary wise it makes perfect sense to do it then. I just wish that the departments within Azamara would talk to each other so anomalies like this don't occur. Having a "report an error" tab on the website which is regularly monitored would help. Sometimes the guests have the best sense of proof reading.

Phil

Great idea Phil - provided of course the reports do not go into an IT blackhole but get acted on!

I once worked in an organisation with such a function. The first person who reported valid issues was given a small reward (c$5). The reward spend was what we would now call a KPI for the IT team. When the Head introduced the scheme, the website was bad (though I regret to say not as bad as Azamara/Celebrity). Within a year, payouts were rare because the monetary implication of errors focused the in house team during any writing and loading of content.

Perhaps OBC of $5 would be a great way to clean this site up!

Edited by uktog

Perhaps OBC of $5 would be a great way to clean this site up!

Love that idea. We'd be rich onboard. OK, I'm being facetious, but it's a great thought. I'd be happy for all the $5 to go to someone at Azamara if it meant we could be confident that the website was up to date.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Hello Scotpom and Azamara Journey April 15, 2014 17-Night Travelers -

Next week I will be able to reconfirm the schedule about the impact of the 14-hour "Luxor/Valley of the Kings" Land Discoveries on Sunday April 27th and the AzAmazing Evening, "An Egyptian Moulid Festival scheduled for the evening of April 27.

Please note that this AzAmazing Event will be held onboard the ship with specific event locations details and timing being provided onboard. The event is described as follows:

§ Ritual chanting, dancing, whirling dervishes and circus performers are among the many attractions of an Egyptian Moulid, a festival that’s part carnival and part mystical celebration of a holy person’s birth. Tonight you’ll experience a Moulid’s “big night” finale onboard your ship. You’ll love the party atmosphere and bright strings of lights, with stalls featuring fortune tellers, henna painters, Moulid games, Egyptian treats and more. The highlight is a Whirling Dervishes zikr performance.

It seems that the information that I posted on July 26 stating that the AzAmazing Evening ( a "Magical Bedouin Evening in the Desert") would take place in Fujairah on April 18 has been changed; however, I will need to reconfirm that with global tour operations.

I'm sorry for any confusion that the July posting might have caused. Please stand by for the final response.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Disappointing to read Bill. Whilst appreciating there's less flexibility to organise an evening on a cruise with so many sea days it is a shame it's on a day when as scotpom says there are long tours involved. Fujairah and an evening in the desert seemed a great plan, but maybe there were issues with it. Will await to hear more.

Phil

Next week I will be able to reconfirm the schedule about the impact of the 14-hour "Luxor/Valley of the Kings" Land Discoveries on Sunday April 27th and the AzAmazing Evening, "An Egyptian Moulid Festival scheduled for the evening of April 27.

Please note that this AzAmazing Event will be held onboard the ship with specific event locations details and timing being provided onboard. The event is described as follows:

§ Ritual chanting, dancing, whirling dervishes and circus performers are among the many attractions of an Egyptian Moulid, a festival that’s part carnival and part mystical celebration of a holy person’s birth. Tonight you’ll experience a Moulid’s “big night” finale onboard your ship. You’ll love the party atmosphere and bright strings of lights, with stalls featuring fortune tellers, henna painters, Moulid games, Egyptian treats and more. The highlight is a Whirling Dervishes zikr performance.

It seems that the information that I posted on July 26 stating that the AzAmazing Evening ( a "Magical Bedouin Evening in the Desert") would take place in Fujairah on April 18 has been changed; however, I will need to reconfirm that with global tour operations.

I'm sorry for any confusion that the July posting might have caused. Please stand by for the final response.

Hi Bill

Could you point out to those awfully nice people in Miami that if they put on an Azamazing evening on board after possibly 300-400 passengers have spent 14 hours going to the Valley of the Kings either with the ship's or a private tour and returning to the ship at 8.30pm they will not feel like joining in an event that started at 7.00pm. They will be tired, want a shower, a drink and something to eat. It would not reflect very well on Azamara if these performers were putting on a show to a half empty ship. Could you pass this message along please.

I've received confirmation that the AzAmazing Evening Event, "An Egyptian Moulid Festival" will be scheduled for the evening of April 27 onboard the ship because the long full day tours, especially the 14 hour "Luxor/Valley of the Kings" on Sunday April 27th off the Azamara Journey. Actually, the Luxor Tour is the main reason for the call.

We will update the exact time onboard the ship to accommodate the local conditions and probably will set 9:00 PM as the time. The idea of having the AzAmazing Evening in Fujarah was considered for a while, but we ended up keeping it in Safaga.

Again, I'm sorry for any confusion that the July posting might have caused.

Best Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Thanks for clarifying, Bill. I am pleased that we will be able to do the Valley of the Kings excursion and the Azamazing evening. It will be a long day but, hey, we will have plenty of sea days under our belts and opportunities to catch up on our beauty sleep. :)