Another Dress Code Query

sardensav

Hello everyone

My first Cunard cruise with the new dress code is coming up (Christmas on QV). I note from the Voyage Personaliser that there are only 2 categories of dress code for evenings now: formal and informal. I'm fine with formal but could use some advice regarding informal. This only relates to female - male seems more straightforward.

My interpretation is that new formal = old formal & old semi-formal. New informal = old elegant casual.

Given that there are only 4 formal nights on my cruise, I'd be disappointed not to have opportunity to wear something quite dressy (e.g. cocktail dress, which was something previously commonly seen on semi-formal nights). My question is about overdressing really. Perhaps someone who has cruised under the new dress code would be kind enough to describe how things are different now (if they are?) than with the old dress code? Dressing for dinner is a big part of cruising for me, so I am hoping the general consensus is that people are more semi-formal than casual...

Really appreciate your thoughts and experience with this query.

Kind regards

Sarah

Hello everyone

My first Cunard cruise with the new dress code is coming up (Christmas on QV). I note from the Voyage Personaliser that there are only 2 categories of dress code for evenings now: formal and informal. I'm fine with formal but could use some advice regarding informal. This only relates to female - male seems more straightforward.

My interpretation is that new formal = old formal & old semi-formal. New informal = old elegant casual.

Given that there are only 4 formal nights on my cruise, I'd be disappointed not to have opportunity to wear something quite dressy (e.g. cocktail dress, which was something previously commonly seen on semi-formal nights). My question is about overdressing really. Perhaps someone who has cruised under the new dress code would be kind enough to describe how things are different now (if they are?) than with the old dress code? Dressing for dinner is a big part of cruising for me, so I am hoping the general consensus is that people are more semi-formal than casual...

Kind regards

Sarah

Your interpretation is accurate, on QM2 recently the ladies were mostly dressed very smartly every evening. Of course there were a few Primark moments but overall everyone looked very glamorous.

As a "stick in the mud die hard" I dress up- scale every night. Formal means "bring out the family jewels - even if they are fakes", the rest of the time I wear semi formal for dinner (Britannia). First and last nights I wear ELEGANT Country Club Casual.

I do not go on a cruise costing many $$$$$ to wear the same clothes as when I go grocery shopping.

I hope you will wear your very elegant dresses with pride and pleasure.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Having cruised under both the old and new dress codes there is hardly any real difference as far as I can tell.

In a nutshell;

Gentlemen follow it.

Ladies follow it less and less with age, i.e. the older the lady the less they follow it.

And does "it" refer to the old code, the new code, or any dress code?

Hello everyone

Kind regards

Sarah

Hi Sarah, I've just got back from a 12 day trip on QV, I took the same clothes that I always do when sailing with Cunard. I always dress up whilst on the ship. I would say most ladies had long gowns for formal nights and yes there was some more casual than others on the other evenings. Take what you want and enjoy every moment.

Catherine

After asking I Googled it and discovered that Primark is the current owner of JC Penney...

From the information I've found, I don't think they have anything to do with each other.

J. C. Penney Company, Inc., known as JCPenney and originally known as Penney's, is a chain of American mid-range department stores based in Plano, Texas.

Arthur St. John Ryan (born 1935)[1] is the founder of Primark, an Irish clothing retailer with stores in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and Spain. It trades under the name of Penneys in Ireland.

He opened the first Penneys shop on Mary Street in Dublin in 1969.[5] Subsequently, in 1974, he took the model to Britain – renaming the stores Primark to avoid legal problems with US chain JC Penney.

Hello everyone

Kind regards

Sarah

Hi Sarah. I was also concerned about being over-dressed after the change in dress code. On the two voyages I've taken on QM2 since the change in dress code, I have noticed a discord regarding the way women dress on Informal nights. My impression was that what women wear it is somewhere between semi-formal and elegant casual for experienced Cunard passengers, while newbies took the "Informal" code to various levels.

Amazingly enough, the women at our table were all dressed in a compatible fashion, as were the men. But all of us were past Cunard passengers, so we knew the drill. However, not too many cocktail dress in view - more often dressy tops with fashionable trousers, low heels, moderate jewelry on Informal nights.

Formal Dress code, from my recent experience, was observed by both men and women: Tuxedos and formal gowns were the norm.

Having said that, if you wish to wear your finest cocktail dresses on Informal nights, you won't be alone in that decision - although you might be in the minority (nothing wrong with that ;))

I hope you have a very nice time on board. Regards, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Amazingly enough, the women at our table were all dressed in a compatible fashion, as were the men. But all of us were past Cunard passengers, so we knew the drill. ...

Great! It is for all of us oldies to demonstrate to all the newbies that on Cunard you dress formal or semi-formal (yes, guys, wear a tie for "elegant casual", dammit!) disirregardless of the latest fad dress code.

As a "stick in the mud die hard" I dress up- scale every night. Formal means "bring out the family jewels - even if they are fakes", the rest of the time I wear semi formal for dinner (Britannia). First and last nights I wear ELEGANT Country Club Casual.

I do not go on a cruise costing many $$$$$ to wear the same clothes as when I go grocery shopping.

I hope you will wear your very elegant dresses with pride and pleasure.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hear hear! I agree with all you say. I never dress down! I dress to the nines every night of the cruise and it doesn't matter what the dress codes says. I dress up. I get out the jewels, or bling and a nice pair of shoes plus I always carry an evening bag/ clutch and a wrap for the dining room as it can get chilly from the A/C.

I also try to dress in theme for the the themed balls. I love to dress up and it is a very important part of cruising for me. One of the reasons I cruise Cunard.

I am going on the QE world cruise and I will have the correct dress for every themed ball and a different outfits for the whole cruise.118 nights!

I will be taking 37 pairs of shoes and as many bags. Plus all the long gowns and cocktail wear . I take the lot and why not?

As you say, we spend a small fortune to go on these cruises so why spoil it by not dressing up?

I never care if I am over dressed, or over the top for that matter, I have bags of confidence and I will go for it!

To the Opening poster I say you do the same. Go for it and do not worry what others are doing. The people on Cunard who do not dress up are in the minority :) Have a wonderful cruise.

Hear hear! I agree with all you say. I never dress down! I dress to the nines every night of the cruise and it doesn't matter what the dress codes says. I dress up. I get out the jewels, or bling and a nice pair of shoes plus I always carry an evening bag/ clutch and a wrap for the dining room as it can get chilly from the A/C.

I also try to dress in theme for the the themed balls. I love to dress up and it is a very important part of cruising for me. One of the reasons I cruise Cunard.

I am going on the QE world cruise and I will have the correct dress for every themed ball and a different outfits for the whole cruise.118 nights!

I will be taking 37 pairs of shoes and as many bags. Plus all the long gowns and cocktail wear . I take the lot and why not?

As you say, we spend a small fortune to go on these cruises so why spoil it by not dressing up?

I never care if I am over dressed, or over the top for that matter, I have bags of confidence and I will go for it!

To the Opening poster I say you do the same. Go for it and do not worry what others are doing. The people on Cunard who do not dress up are in the minority :) Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi maggiemou, how many cases will you need to take all your lovely outfits and shoes on board.

Lucky you going on the world cruise. Will you do a live from whilst on board? Would be great if you did.

Catherine

Hopefully, you're located midship. We wouldn't want the ship tilting too far to one side,now would we? Afterall it's a vista class ship & not a true ocean liner!

Hopefully, you're located midship. We wouldn't want the ship tilting too far to one side,now would we? Afterall it's a vista class ship & not a true ocean liner!

Keith, I do believe that Glojo has arranged some sort of barge to be in tow in order to accommodate all of our Dear Mrs. Mou's baggage. . . particularly the shoes! Glojo has even been so kind as to provide us with a preview picture of this arrangement so that those in the posh suites on the aft can be prepared for the sight that will greet them! :D :D

Barge_zps85c08385.jpg

Hi maggiemou, how many cases will you need to take all your lovely outfits and shoes on board.

Lucky you going on the world cruise. Will you do a live from whilst on board? Would be great if you did.

Catherine

Hi North East girl.

14 is the usual amount of pieces of luggage. We world cruise most years so I have it down to a fine art.

I have in the past written blogs for the forum www. Cruise.co.uk but I will paste it in on here also.

I am well known on that forum for my clothes etc. and dressing up. I even dress up to see the locals. In this case the penguins in Punta Arenas.

Being a Yorkshire lass at heart, I love a bit f fun and frivolity:D

johnreesjones081_zps73ba9cc9.jpg

Don't worry if we sink I can float on my extensive collection of ball gowns.:D

Keith, I do believe that Glojo has arranged some sort of barge to be in tow in order to accommodate all of our Dear Mrs. Mou's baggage. . . particularly the shoes! Glojo has even been so kind as to provide us with a preview picture of this arrangement so that those in the posh suites on the aft can be prepared for the sight that will greet them! :D :D

Barge_zps85c08385.jpg

Reminds me of my spouse! We ALWAYS go over the weight limit. Airlines love us! They make more$$ that way!

• 1 month later...

My apologies if this has already been asked and answered...but when I was aboard the QM2 last year, I heard that the number of formal nights on transatlantic crossings was going to be reduced. Does anyone know if this has taken effect, and if so, what is the new standard? Thanks.

My apologies if this has already been asked and answered...but when I was aboard the QM2 last year, I heard that the number of formal nights on transatlantic crossings was going to be reduced. Does anyone know if this has taken effect, and if so, what is the new standard? Thanks.

3 formal and 4 informal each way.