NCL Proving Guardianship?

xwhenximxgonex

So, I'm aware that the drinking age on all NCL cruises leaving the US is 21, unless a parent or guardian is present to sign the waiver allowing "young adults" to purchase and drink beer or wine.

My question is, how can they prove that someone is a parent or guardian? My parents aren't going, but I don't have the same last name as my mom. So if it was only me and her going, how could it be proved that she's my mom?

My older sister is coming, though. How would NCL be able to prove that she's not my legal guardian? If it means anything, I'm going to be 20 at the time of the cruise and my sister is 15 years older than me.

Someone told me they could check birth certificates, but I'm just taking my passport...

I'm honestly completely confused, because technically doesn't guardianship end in the US when a person turns 18 years old? Anyways, thanks for the help, guys!

So, I'm aware that the drinking age on all NCL cruises leaving the US is 21, unless a parent or guardian is present to sign the waiver allowing "young adults" to purchase and drink beer or wine.

My question is, how can they prove that someone is a parent or guardian? My parents aren't going, but I don't have the same last name as my mom. So if it was only me and her going, how could it be proved that she's my mom?

My older sister is coming, though. How would NCL be able to prove that she's not my legal guardian? If it means anything, I'm going to be 20 at the time of the cruise and my sister is 15 years older than me.

Someone told me they could check birth certificates, but I'm just taking my passport...

I'm honestly completely confused, because technically doesn't guardianship end in the US when a person turns 18 years old? Anyways, thanks for the help, guys!

Frankly, it's not up to NCL to prove legal guadianship. It's up to the passengers to provide the proof. Legally, they can't just take someone's word for it - and your post provides ample evidence why they can't.

Since you are only taking your passport, there's nothing to worry about. Your card will be set to not allow the purchase of any alcohol.

So what happens to "young adults" who don't have parents? They won't have a legal guardian if their parents died after they turned 18. Would NCL really discriminate against them? If that's the case, NCL should just make their drinking age 21+ Only.

If you pardon the pun, they would be in the same boat as you since you are cruising without a parent. I also believe a married couple that was 20 would also not be allowed to purchase alcohol, even though they are allowed to book a cruise.

However, the drinking age also varies by cruise. NCL cruises to Alaska and Hawaii don't even allow the waiver to be signed, the drinking age has to be 21. Cruises in Europe allow 18 and up to purchase alcohol.

And it's not just NCL that does this.

Edited by rpb718

My mother and I took my nephew, who is her grandson on a cruise. He was not yet 21. We obtained 2 letters from his mom and dad. One giving permission for us to take him. Another permitting him to purchase beer and wine.

No lectures please. At 23 now he is a GM and mskes more than me. Has always been beyond his years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

So what happens to "young adults" who don't have parents? They won't have a legal guardian if their parents died after they turned 18. Would NCL really discriminate against them? If that's the case, NCL should just make their drinking age 21+ Only.

Did you really say "discriminate"? I didn't know alcohol consumption was a God given right. Jeez......

For all intents and purposes, Norweigan is run like an American based company. I can't say what all state laws say, but in my state someone under 21 can drink with permission from their guardian. However, a business always has the right to refuse them. If a business serves you alcohol they take on all kinds of risk and liability, so much so that they always have the right to refuse you service, even if you are 21, if they feel it's appropriate. You will probably have better luck in port, I'd shoot for that if you insist on drinking.

And just as a side note, IMHO, a 20 year old traveling with her sister who is this concerned about her ability to drink sounds like it would be trouble anyway. Be careful, you're still over 18 and can be kicked off the ship if they catch you violating their rules.

Edited by sanger727