Suggestions for Santa Barbara and Monterey?

mommykim

I am taking my son who has never been to either Santa Barbara or Monterey and I am looking for suggestions for what to do and how to do it. I know about the aquarium but not sure how to get there from the ship. Renting a car would be fine if it's easy to do from the ship.

The Santa Barbara Zoo is a quaint little zoo that is just wonderful. You can feed giraffes, too!

The Monterey Bay Aquarium cannot be missed! You can get discounted rates online.

Are you docking in these 2 Places? They're not close to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Santa Barbara Zoo is a quaint little zoo that is just wonderful. You can feed giraffes, too!

The Monterey Bay Aquarium cannot be missed! You can get discounted rates online.

Are you docking in these 2 Places? They're not close to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't dock in either port. They are tender ports.

I agree on the Monterey Aquarium. Top of the line.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I also am curious as to how old the son is. We've been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium several times, and it is my favorite one. Much nicer than the national aquarium in Baltimore.

The Monterey aquarium has some lovely programs for very young children which provide a great "hands-on" experience. And everyone seems to find the fish feeding at the kelp bed fascinating.

The Mission in Santa Barbara is part of California history.

"The Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell is based on the life of a Chumash woman who is buried at the Mission.

The Santa Barbara Zoo is a quaint little zoo that s just wonderful. You can feed giraffes, too!

I live on the LA/Ventura county line. It takes 30 minutes to get to the LA Zoo. It takes an hour to get to the Santa Barbara Zoo. Grandkids are now 8 and 6. They vote for the Santa Barbara zoo every time. Dropped my yearly pass to the LA one for SB. It is smaller but it's flatter. They have a cute little train, a tiny hill the kids can slide down on (with cardboard), you can feed the giraffes and they have a cute dinosaur show that the kids love. It's so bad it's good. Every once in a while they'll have something unexpected. My 6 YO DGD loved touching the python while the 8 YO DGS hid his eyes and wanted to move away quickly LOL. It is about 2 miles from where you tender.

I am taking my son who has never been to either Santa Barbara or Monterey and I am looking for suggestions for what to do and how to do it. I know about the aquarium but not sure how to get there from the ship. Renting a car would be fine if it's easy to do from the ship.

no need. you can walk to Cannery Row, or take a cab the mile or so. if you are into wine, before you get to the Aquarium along the Row, stop at Taste of Monterey and indulge. and while there, take a seat along the glass wall and watch the ship at anchor.

for lunch I highly recommend Archie's right across from the aquarium.. their garlic fries are to die for. ( and their patty melts)

if you do Steinbeck, you can walk along the Row and stop at the various informational signs.

I also am curious as to how old the son is. We've been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium several times, and it is my favorite one. Much nicer than the national aquarium in Baltimore.

The Monterey aquarium has some lovely programs for very young children which provide a great "hands-on" experience. And everyone seems to find the fish feeding at the kelp bed fascinating.

I dunno if I agree with that assessment.. having been stationed in both places( first monterey and now the BWA Triangle) I think both are top notch but have different strengths and weaknesses.