Question about Luggage?

Batana

My husband and I have been debating about what to travel with on our next cruise. Is there any type/brand/etc??? luggage that is better for a cruise?

Personally I like the Delsey line. They're light and seemed to have held up quite well for both business and personal travel. Used my complete set last year to and from Europe without any issues. We have three Macy's within almost equal driving distance, like 10 miles, so we get most of our luggage from them when they have one of their frequent luggage sales.

We just took our new Samsonite Ziplite hardside luggage on its inaugural trip on the Eurodam. We were very impressed by this luggage....we have two 28" bags. They survived the airlines and the port/hotel shuffle and didn't even get a scratch. I even noticed that my clothes did not get as wrinkled in these bags as our old soft-sided ones. Very impressed....it holds a bunch of stuff (very roomy) and is very lightweight (9lbs or less), has 4 wheels on each bag for easy steering. Great integrated locking system as well, no need for a separate lock. Got this luggage on sale at Kohls, but I am sure you can buy it online or elsewhere. Comes in many colors (we got bright green so you can see it on the luggage carousel easily). We felt if it would survive a cruise, it would survive tours, etc. After trying many types of luggage available, we really love these bags. Just our opinion, of course. :) And PS - they fit under the beds in the stateroom!!!

Edited by Irish Eyes Are Sailing

We have some Delsey pieces also and have had good luck with them.

We never buy really pricey luggage as the airlines/ships will ruin it same as less costly and expensive looking luggage screams to thieves to 'take me'. Our Delsey pieces are middle of the road, adequate quality to stand up and yet not to stand out as looking like it would have expensive contents.

Edited by sail7seas

I've had good luck with my IT (International Traveller) bags. Survived two plane trips, a hotel stay, and a cruise with only a small stain. I tried this brand mainly because of its light weight. For example, this 29" case weighs under 5 pounds.

Unless you are looking for an entire matching set of luggage, try TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Steinmart. They have very good prices on luggage but often have only one or two pieces in the same color/model.

Edited by Scrapnana

And OP, the best investment for you will be a small handheld luggage scale. They sell them online and at travel/other stores probably for about $10. They work great and will prevent you from being overweight on your luggage. We carry ours in our backpack/carryon bag(s) on every trip. Very much worth it.

We buy our luggage on line from LL Bean in part because of the many buyer reviews. They also give the weight of each piece. (They offer free shipping.)

We use two light weekend size pieces to cruise and even use Bean messenger bags as carry-ons.

So far they have all held up, but in large part that's because we avoid the items with unfavorable reviews.

Edited by tangerinebunny

I do not mean to "highjack" this thread but....

What luggage is good for not being so weighty on its own?

My Travel Pro is heavy on it's own!

Thanks!

The lightest I have had/have are Lipault which come in at 8 lbs. empty for a 28" bag. The Samsonite Ziplites are 10.7lb. empty but are still many pounds lighter than other soft-sided luggage I have owned which come in at 13lbs-14lbs empty...(I just went and looked up the paperwork that came with the luggage). The Lipault I find are good for short (less than a week) trips, but the Ziplite is good for longer trips......even though they are the same 28", the Ziplite seems to have more room, IMO.

Edited by Irish Eyes Are Sailing

We have 2 = 29" Lucas luggage cases

http://www.luggagefactory.com/lucas.shtml

which have survived 2 cruises and many flights so far. They are lightweight (7 lbs). For longer cruises, we have 2 older Samsonite cases we add, but we really like the Lucas ones. And they are easy to spot at baggage claim!

We have some Lucas pieces and they wear like iron. They have survived many attempts to destroy them. :) They weigh next to nothing.

Their expandable soft side garment bags are the best ever BUT they don't have wheels.

Edited by sail7seas

My idea of good cruise luggage is probably different than most. First of all, I look for the most unusual and bright color I can find. That makes it really easy to spot on the luggage carousel and in that sea of luggage on disembarkation day. I also look for something inexpensive so it doesn't bother me so much when it comes back filthy. Although I think of it basically as disposable luggage, it usually lasts for several cruises.

It doesn't seem to matter what kind of luggage we buy, either the cruise line or the air line ruins a piece about every other trip.

We must be very lucky since we have never had any major damage to luggage - dents and scratched here and there but that's about it. We don;t by expensive luggage either.

We have some Lucas pieces and they wear like iron. They have survived many attempts to destroy them. :) They weigh next to nothing.

Their expandable soft side garment bags are the best ever BUT they don't have wheels.

Wheels are very necessary for us now. We don't want to have to carry bags that weigh 50 pounds. Even if someone picks you up at your home and you do curb side check in, once you get to the port, you're usually on your own till you get outside to get a taxi.