Travel Insurance for Domestic Australian Cruise

If they were Aussies, I don't know why the hospital would care where it happened so that should be fine for medicare/ health cover. As for the ambulance bill that may have another story if you didn't have your own ambulance cover.:D

The Doctors bills for when they were onboard before getting into the ambulance. ;)

I don't believe the on-board doctors' bills would be covered because the doctors would not be registered as Medicare Providers.

Yes, that would certainly define it. Maybe they mightn't even be registerable (:confused:) in Australia. :o

Yes, that would certainly define it. Maybe they mightn't even be registerable (:confused:) in Australia. :o

Any doctor employed by a cruise line would be registered to the highest International standard. The cruise lines could not risk employing any one less.

The requirements for medical services on a cruise ship are very high. .....

and without any Govt subsidy , the costs are very high .

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

The on-board doctors I have encountered have been South African or British. I'm sure they would be able to become registered in Australia, but I don't believe this is automatic.

The on-board doctors I have encountered have been South African or British. I'm sure they would be able to become registered in Australia, but I don't believe this is automatic.

I am sure that they wouldn't need to be registered in every country, as long as they are registered in the country that the cruise line feels is of a high standard. Just as important as the high standards is the Drs bedside manner and their ability to be on board for long periods of time.:D

I am sure that they wouldn't need to be registered in every country, as long as they are registered in the country that the cruise line feels is of a high standard. Just as important as the high standards is the Drs bedside manner and their ability to be on board for long periods of time.:D

Exactly. They wouldn't have to be registered in Australia to work on a cruiseship based in Aust, or calling to Australian ports. The fact that they are not registered to practice in Australia should not in any way imply that they are not as good as doctors practicing here. :)

Exactly. They wouldn't have to be registered in Australia to work on a cruiseship based in Aust, or calling to Australian ports. The fact that they are not registered to practice in Australia should not in any way imply that they are not as good as doctors practicing here. :)
Perhaps they are even better.:D

I agree with your comments. The domestic travel insurance premium is worked out on the basis that the traveller can access our free hospitals. Medical attention is very expensive on cruise ships. On our recent cruise, one person's bill was $7,000 and running. The lady had a fall and broke a bone in her ankle.

I agree that the previous poster was lucky.[/quote

This is from the Royal Carribbean cruise pages

Q: Do I need extra insurance? Does Royal Caribbean offer travel insurance?

A: We recommend that all guest purchase appropriate personal travel insurance before departure, which includes a minimum cover for the cost of cancellation by yourself, the cost of assistance including repatriation in the event of an accident or illness, and cost of the medical treatment in the onboard medical centre. Royal Caribbean current does not offer travel insurance and recommends that you contact your travel agent or an independent insurance broker for details of a suitable policy

Insurance - never leave home without it. Australian waters come under the "Pacific Region" better to be safe than out of pocket.

Edited by dizzy1948

I agree with your comments. The domestic travel insurance premium is worked out on the basis that the traveller can access our free hospitals. Medical attention is very expensive on cruise ships. On our recent cruise, one person's bill was $7,000 and running. The lady had a fall and broke a bone in her ankle.

I agree that the previous poster was lucky.[/quote

This is from the Royal Carribbean cruise pages

Q: Do I need extra insurance? Does Royal Caribbean offer travel insurance?

A: We recommend that all guest purchase appropriate personal travel insurance before departure, which includes a minimum cover for the cost of cancellation by yourself, the cost of assistance including repatriation in the event of an accident or illness, and cost of the medical treatment in the onboard medical centre. Royal Caribbean current does not offer travel insurance and recommends that you contact your travel agent or an independent insurance broker for details of a suitable policy

Insurance - never leave home without it. Australian waters come under the "Pacific Region" better to be safe than out of pocket.

Yes, totally agreed. Too many horror stories (from relatively small incidents) out there to take the risk.:D