Statendam or Oosterdam?

CobbClan

We are sailing August 2014 to Alaska, and it seems the two ships depart on alternate weeks. Has anyone sailed on both shops? I can compare the two on HALs site, but would like to hear if anyone has are sonar opinion. If everything else is equal, which would you pick?

Sailed on both Oosterdam and Statendam and we will always pick the smaller ships. Love them, so for us no question, pick the Statendam. Smaller crowds, better layout, bigger cabins, and a more intimate connection overall with the voyage itself.

The two-story open windowed main dining rooms on the smaller ships like the Statendam particularly is a bonus when traveling in Alaska with the long days since you will have dramatic views during the dinner daylight hours. Oosterdam and other Vista ship dining rooms are much more closed in and just don't have the same visual drama found on the smaller ships.

We've been on both and I prefer the Oosterdam, but DH would probably say the Statendam. Just check to see if either ship is just coming out of drydock. Seems the first cruise after drydock the work isn't always complete. At least that's what I've read here.

We've been on both and I prefer the Oosterdam, but DH would probably say the Statendam. Just check to see if either ship is just coming out of drydock. Seems the first cruise after drydock the work isn't always complete. At least that's what I've read here.

The OP is considering August 2014. No cruise line in their right mind would schedule a drydock during the busiest part of Alaska season.

I would sail a cardboard raft through shark infested waters rather than sail on the Oopsterdam! Their carelessness and negligence killed my husband. And what was their response after they inflicted the fatal injury? They sent a little plate to the room with a few pieces of chocolate and their "oh, we're sorry" note card. Cruel, cold and heartless they are!

Statendam. Absolutely, positively. No question about it. The smaller ship, with larger cabins, will help you feel part of the grand wilderness that is Alaska. The Oosterdam, as a larger ship, is less intimate, not at all cozy.

If the Statendam does a mid-week itinerary and the Oosterdam does the weekend departure itinerary along with other larger ships, you might have fewer crowds in port on the Statendam. Checking those "whose in port" websites could confirm how busy each port would be for each ship, if this matters.

We agree however, smaller ships are always our favorites too. The fact these smaller ships may soon be lost means to us, sail them every time we can. Though no complaints about twice sailing the Oosterdam - lots of public spaces and quiet nooks and crannies, plus those great mini-suite cabins, one step below the Neptune Lounge offerings. Don't like the Explorations Cafe/Library sharing now with the Crows Nest however on the Oosterdam.