Snorkelling equipment advice

Eager2Explore

It's our first time going on a cruise and we also plan to snorkel . Most ppl recommend purchasing the snorkelling equipment. Should I order from amazon or is their a store in Orlando you can recommend? Also, are their certain brands you recommend and also share some brands I should avoid like a plague!

Thank you.

M.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I would recommend against ordering on line, or buying at a "big box" store. Here's why:

The mask fit is critical to having an enjoyable experience snorkeling. It is quite individualized from person to person. In other words the right mask for me would likely not be good at all for you, and vice versa.

Fins are another item that make a huge difference in how well you enjoy your snorkeling. The cheap sets, and most rental gear, will be a "full foot" type fin. These are the ones that are sized, like a shoe, and have a rubber heel. The problem is wet rubber is, by nature slippery. You often end up with significant movement at the heel, and frequently they rub where the toes exit the opening in the front. A better choice are "open heel" fins. These require a neoprene booty, that you can select for a perfect fit. The booty then slips into the fin, which has a heel strap for adjustment. The booty protects your foot from slipping in the fin, and the fin tends not to move on booty, so you get more efficiency from your kicking. Another advantage is the booties give your feet protection if you need to walk on rocks or gravel to get to your snorkeling site.

Even the snorkel, which seems so basic as to be fool proof, has things to look for. The cheap ones are nothing more than a curved plastic tube. For a few dollars more you can get a snorkel with a purge valve, so you can clear it almost effortlessly after submerging.

Look in your area for a Dive Shop. They will be able to set you up with good quality equipment that is fitted properly. You can ask about a snorkeling class (they may throw it in with the purchase of the gear). 2 hours in the pool, with professional instruction will make a huge difference in your enjoyment on your trip.

Harris

Denver, CO

If this is the only time you'll be snorkeling, the excursion will provide gear. It is cleaned thoroughly. That's why some recommend bringing your own stuff...they are afraid of "germs"! All of the mouthpieces are soaked in a heavy bleach solution....no germs remain!

You don't bring your own silverware on a cruise....and yet, other's use it!

If you plan to continue snorkeling, then sure...buy your own. But if this is the only time you're likely to do this, don't spend the money.

Since we aren't snorkelers by nature and last time was our only/first time we bought big box store ones, not the cheapest and were totally happy. They even have the purge valve when your surface. I didn't want to put something in m y mouth that a million others had and to top it off I ended up sick and I am sure someone wouldn't have wanted to use one after me. We were very happy. Didn't buy the fins. So now that my sis and her family are going I ordered for xmas from a big box box store starts with K a couple that are the same as we used for xmas gifts. HTH

It's our first time going on a cruise and we also plan to snorkel . Most ppl recommend purchasing the snorkelling equipment. Should I order from amazon or is their a store in Orlando you can recommend? Also, are their certain brands you recommend and also share some brands I should avoid like a plague!

Thank you.

M.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

The mask especially needs to fit your face. There are many shapes, sizes styles of mask, snorkels and fins. If you are going to be in Orlando there should be stores that stock equipment for water sports. Here are some I found with a Google search.

http://scubaquestusa.com/

http://www.scubaworld.net/

http://www.divestation.com/

http://www.diversdirect.com/

All of the mouthpieces are soaked in a heavy bleach solution....no germs remain!

Sorry, have to disagree. I've been on numerous snorkel excursions all over, and in some instances, have seen the 'used' snorkels just get dumped back into a 33 gallon garbage can filled with questionable water.

I like US Divers, have also used Speedo and Aqua Lung....most of all, all hair needs to be pushed away from face to get a good seal.

Also, they make stuff to keep it from fogging up, if don't want to spend the $, just spit on inside of mask, smear around, rinse out, works like a charm lol.

I am sure I will get flamed on here about this, but it does work :)

I like US Divers, have also used Speedo and Aqua Lung....most of all, all hair needs to be pushed away from face to get a good seal.

Also, they make stuff to keep it from fogging up, if don't want to spend the $, just spit on inside of mask, smear around, rinse out, works like a charm lol.

I am sure I will get flamed on here about this, but it does work :)

I think the ones I bought from the big box store are US Divers and I did order the spit from the A store and it worked because DH didn't do his and he was fogging up but mine not at all. Wasn't sure I'd have that much spit...lol..yes the stuff IS called spit.

DW and I dive and snorkle. We have good kit and good kit costs. It also lasts and performs flawlessly. I always recommend that you buy the best you can afford but if this is going to be a one shot deal it really is hard to justify the expense. As an example my wifes mask was over 250 because it has prescription lenses in it so she can go without her glasses. Mine was close to 200. For a one shot deal get one at a big box store and hope for the best.

Don't know if this applies to OP but...if one of you has a mustache it will likely need to be trimmed back enough for the mask to get a seal on the face. DH has a mustache and he found that he needs to do this. :)

This is very true. Hubby tried everything, mustache wax, trimming it back, but still his mask leaked with his facial hair. So, he decided while we were on a cruise on Oasis to shave before we went snorkeling.

We did not even think about it, but when entering the ship after our excursion, he plinks his card into the slot and all hell broke loose! Sirens went off, red lights flashing, security rushing in....yikes! Turns out the facial recognition software didn't recognize his clean shaven face. LOL!

We bought our equipment from Snorkel Mart on line. He sent in his eyeglasses prescription and got a mask made for him. The cost was around $60.00. He now really enjoys snorkeling since he can actually see. :)

Edited by alphakitty

As a Dive Shop owner, I can tell you that your best option is to go to your local dive shop. We handle this issue a lot. Ordering off amazon will result in fins that don't fit and a mask with a rigid rubber skirting. Snorkeling is no fun if you have blisters or your nose or head hurt from your mask. The good news is, snorkeling equipment will last a lifetime if you keep your mask stored in its box.

While many people will argue the point about going to a local dive shop to get "fitted" with the proper equipment, you will find that it's also fitted with a nice price tag to go along with it. Since this is your first time snorkeling, you probably don't want to spend an arm and a leg for equipment...especially if you find that you don't even like snorkeling once you have tried it.

So if you don't go with renting equipment while in port, you most certainly can get a "kit" online by a trusted brand that a lot of people on here recommend.

I have an US Divers "kit" and it came with everything and works great. I purchased the smaller fins so that everything fit easily into my luggage and it's easy to carry around. The hubby purchased a set too and loves his.

P5120100-L.jpg

While many people will argue the point about going to a local dive shop to get "fitted" with the proper equipment, you will find that it's also fitted with a nice price tag to go along with it. Since this is your first time snorkeling, you probably don't want to spend an arm and a leg for equipment...especially if you find that you don't even like snorkeling once you have tried it.

So if you don't go with renting equipment while in port, you most certainly can get a "kit" online by a trusted brand that a lot of people on here recommend.

I have an US Divers "kit" and it came with everything and works great. I purchased the smaller fins so that everything fit easily into my luggage and it's easy to carry around. The hubby purchased a set too and loves his.

P5120100-L.jpg

I think this may be an incorrect assumption. We sell US Divers (it is an aqualung brand) and we happily sell our snorkeling kits for less than Amazon and WalMart. My advice above is that dive shops know how to tell you what a good mask and fin fit are. We also give you advice that will help you use your gear for maximum enjoyment (eliminate defog with one treatment).

We sell our snorkeling kits at competitive prices for very good reasons. 1) we have to in order to stay alive while people and 2) we want you to come back to us when you decide that you want to take snorkeling to the next level.

But let's face it, a leaky, foggy or uncomfortable mask isn't likely to convince people that snorkeling or scuba are fun.

I think this may be an incorrect assumption. We sell US Divers (it is an aqualung brand) and we happily sell our snorkeling kits for less than Amazon and WalMart. My advice above is that dive shops know how to tell you what a good mask and fin fit are. We also give you advice that will help you use your gear for maximum enjoyment (eliminate defog with one treatment).

We sell our snorkeling kits at competitive prices for very good reasons. 1) we have to in order to stay alive while people and 2) we want you to come back to us when you decide that you want to take snorkeling to the next level.

But let's face it, a leaky, foggy or uncomfortable mask isn't likely to convince people that snorkeling or scuba are fun.

You might sell your kits for less, but I can guarantee that every time I have went to our local dive shop for anything, they were WAY more than what I can (and did) get online and they didn't have any of the kits. So I chose to go the cheaper route and I have been happy with it with no leaks. :)

We bought our equipment from Snorkel Mart on line. He sent in his eyeglasses prescription and got a mask made for him. The cost was around $60.00. He now really enjoys snorkeling since he can actually see. :)

Ditto. My wife and I are casual snorkelers and decided to buy our own on line. We got prescription lenses and they work VERY well. Call the store if your script isn't shown on their site. They suggested what I would need and it worked great. Well worth it.

Edited by kzf3m8