Carnival cancels my reservations

missouri mike

Don't get me wrong, I like cruising the fun ships. I have been on quite a few over the years, Princess, Celebrity, etc...and have always had good service.

This just rubbed me raw

I completely agree. There something wrong with Carnival given the number of people who have reported their reservations being cancelled. Give that hey need o grow their business, it would be in their interest to proactively retain as many bookings as possible rather than to cancel them outright.

Ouch I was hoping for some sympathy....

...big corps stealing my money.

Here are the two problems you have Mike. 1-You did not read the terms and conditions of what you were booking. And when Carnival imposed those terms, you take it as a big corp. stealing your money. 2- You expect people to feel sorry for you becuase you bought somthing without turly knowing what it was. If you had said heck I screwed up and did not know what I was doing and this is whast happened. Yes I would have some sympathy for you as Carnival should do a better job at commucatting changes. But when as you did, you don't take responsiablty for your mistake and bleam others nope no sympathy.

amazing how people will get the emails telling them not to arrive to port till such n such time, but Carnival can't get the emails to the customers telling them that their cruise will get cancelled if X amount of $$ is not paid by the due date.

I agree as well, I knew that when I booked my cruise with the 50% reduced deposit that when my other friend decided she wanted to come along on our cruise, I told her she would have to pay her full share to compensate for the balance of our deposits because that special was no longer available.

I always try and read up on everything to do with what I'm booking/paying for and where my money goes. It pays to pay attention to avoid problems down the line.

WOW! After all the press on the find a lower rate and we will honor it, Carnival blew this one. I applied on line for the lower rate about $200. Filled the on line form out, sent it, and a few days later the booking shows the new rate. Awesome it works I thought to myself. This weekend I could not log into my booking. I figured they were having web site problems again. Today I call to figure out how to see my bookings. I was told that an email was sent to myself and my wife telling us they needed another $100 for the deposit. We booked under the reduced deposit before, so, this rate forced into paying the full deposit. No problem with that, I can handle it if I was informed of it. Neither wife nor I seen an email from them informing us of this and after 3 days they cancelled our reservations! I guess they could have called me, or put a note on the doc's, but, they already have my money, so, why bother. I rebooked our cruise for $100 less than our original fare, but, $100 more than our savings fare.

I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about Carnival right now! Hopefully the new CEO can right the SS Carnival.

Sorry for the rant, just want people to know that the online form has some problems with it! I will call from now on

with my lawyer sitting beside me...lol. ===> MUCH cheaper than using a TA.

This is precisely why I book through a Travel Agent.

You know...one of those things from the past? ;)

I let them deal with Carnival Bookings and save me all the stress! ;)

So how's about ignoring the 50% thing.

You know full well you're still going to end up paying 100% of the deposit

so who are you fooling? Yourself?

You're not saving any money on this 50% deal.

Ask for and request/insist that you're going to pay the full deposit

just like the grown-ups do. What could be simpler?

Me too. If I see something in my internet ramblings I shoot her an email and she is all over it. No worries mate....Cheers...sorry about the British stuff. Just finished reading all of John H's Facebook posting's. Kind of rub's off on you. :D

Ouch I was hoping for some sympathy....

...big corps stealing my money.

Who stole your money?

It's right in the explanation of the reduced deposit booking - change in pricing means you have to pay the full deposit immediately. Sorry you didn't pay attention to that.

Only from seeing this issue posted on here would I never do this 50% deposit thing. Too much trouble if you change in any way. Better off just paying the deposit in full. I read the fine print and saw nothing directly indicating that the full deposit would become due with changes. Just the generic info about the reservation being subject to cancellation. So I'm not going to slam the OP for not knowing this would happen. Sure it is your job to read the details. But Carnival can fix this easily by either flagging bookings once a change is made or mandatory verbage read to the customer that the full deposit is due if they book this way.

I too vote for using s TA. I love the one we use since in most cases, no deposit is required at all upfront. They pay it. And I can get all the price drops I want without worry of being cancelled since that particular perk is tied to the agency. Not Carnival.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

WOW! After all the press on the find a lower rate and we will honor it, Carnival blew this one. I applied on line for the lower rate about $200. Filled the on line form out, sent it, and a few days later the booking shows the new rate. Awesome it works I thought to myself. This weekend I could not log into my booking. I figured they were having web site problems again. Today I call to figure out how to see my bookings. I was told that an email was sent to myself and my wife telling us they needed another $100 for the deposit. We booked under the reduced deposit before, so, this rate forced into paying the full deposit. No problem with that, I can handle it if I was informed of it. Neither wife nor I seen an email from them informing us of this and after 3 days they cancelled our reservations! I guess they could have called me, or put a note on the doc's, but, they already have my money, so, why bother. I rebooked our cruise for $100 less than our original fare, but, $100 more than our savings fare.

I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about Carnival right now! Hopefully the new CEO can right the SS Carnival.

Sorry for the rant, just want people to know that the online form has some problems with it! I will call from now on with my lawyer sitting beside me...lol.

Been there done that, happened to us on our upcoming cruise. We paid the 50% deposit then when we put in for a credit our cruise was cancelled. After a phone call to my pvp all was good!!

Also wanted to add a big CONGRATULATIONS on kicking the smoking habit!! Its been 25yrs for me :D

Who stole your money?

It's right in the explanation of the reduced deposit booking - change in pricing means you have to pay the full deposit immediately. Sorry you didn't pay attention to that.

I didn't see that either. Lol. But no the OPs money wasn't stolen. That's ridiculous to say.

I don't care if you've been on the boards for 10 years! Carnival has a responsibility to the customer to do the right thing.:mad:

I'd call and speak to a supervisor and get the sale price you thought you had. And if that supervisor won't help, get that person's supervisor. If you speak to them as a repeat customer and not a pi**ed off demander you might get help.

Why should I be responsible to be looking in my spam folder (wherevere the heck that is!) to find out if my cruise was cancelled?

How about something on Manage My Cruise page re: CALL IMMEDIATELY, need more deposit?? How about when you call they tell you this???

You're not saving any money on this 50% deal.

I totally agree. I think they need to ditch this 50% deposit nonsense. Carnival is using this instead of lowering prices. It is not saving the consumer anything. It does, however, grant someone the availability to book a cruise when they otherwise probably can't afford it, and shouldn't be doing it.

Also, this is wreaking havoc with me checking for price drops, which is probably their motive. :(

Thank you! The very minute I change a rate code in the booking engine for a client, the system tells me there is more $$ due.

No chance of the booking getting cancelled, because seeing this info I immediately notify the guest, apply the payment and all is well.

For online bookers, I don't understand why Carnival can't manage to put this in the public booking engine as well.....:confused:

Here are the two problems you have Mike. 1-You did not read the terms and conditions of what you were booking. And when Carnival imposed those terms, you take it as a big corp. stealing your money. 2- You expect people to feel sorry for you becuase you bought somthing without turly knowing what it was. If you had said heck I screwed up and did not know what I was doing and this is whast happened. Yes I would have some sympathy for you as Carnival should do a better job at commucatting changes. But when as you did, you don't take responsiablty for your mistake and bleam others nope no sympathy.

How about this. Carnival is bad at business. What he should have done is taken responsibility, and his money and booked on a different cruise line. The corporation should make it easy for the consumer, not more difficult. Whether or not he was technically correct or made a mistake is meaningless unless you're an unabashed Carnival apologist. They chose to implement a system that lots of customers routinely are confused by. By doing so, the company has failed and deserves criticism.

Don't get me wrong, I like cruising the fun ships. I have been on quite a few over the years, Princess, Celebrity, etc...and have always had good service.

This just rubbed me raw

Mike:

This is one of the downsides to "representing yourself" when booking a cruise.

Had you used a PVP or TA, either one would have told you about the rules and regulations ....

but since you elected to represent yourself, then you are accepting the responsibility that comes with being the authorized representative.

If you do not know what you are doing, then you should not blame Carnival when they enforce the rules.

Instead use a PVP or TA ....

How about this. Carnival is bad at business. What he should have done is taken responsibility, and his money and booked on a different cruise line. The corporation should make it easy for the consumer, not more difficult. Whether or not he was technically correct or made a mistake is meaningless unless you're an unabashed Carnival apologist. They chose to implement a system that lots of customers routinely are confused by. By doing so, the company has failed and deserves criticism.

So let me get this stright no mater what he had done or in this case didn't do is meaningless. Every thing that goes worng is autiomaticly Carnival's fault. Sorry but if you are booking a cruise, in most cassses depending on on the length and cabin booked, you are making a multi $1000 purchase. If you want into best buy to purchase a new tv and after paying $2000+ for it found the stand was extra. Would that be best buy's fault. And keep in mind the money the op is saying was stolen was in fact money he was going to have to pay in the end anyways. Yes Carnival deserves crriticism but to say the op's actions are meaningless just shows your true position as a CARNIVAL HATER.

Mike:

This is one of the downsides to "representing yourself" when booking a cruise.

Had you used a PVP or TA, either one would have told you about the rules and regulations ....

but since you elected to represent yourself, then you are accepting the responsibility that comes with being the authorized representative.

If you do not know what you are doing, then you should not blame Carnival when they enforce the rules.

Instead use a PVP or TA ....

There have been posts on here by people who used both a pvp or a TA and had this same issue cone up. I just think Carnival's system should be able to easily have something pop up on the screen immediately to remind whatever type of agent that the pending change is going to result in the full deposit to be paid. This should be an easy fix.

OK, so depending on which camp your in I either am an idiot (could be), or Carnival doesn't take care of their customers (possible). Or maybe both. I have been involved with customer service my entire life in one way or another. If I had a customer complaining about the way I was treating them, I would take a good long hard look at that treatment (policy). If the treatment (policy) was in fact a good treatment (policy) I would take the time to explain it to the customer, if on the other hand it was a bad policy I would it change asap. Carnival can do what it wants. I just don't like the fact that weather it is a written rule or not, they canceled my cruise without any notification. They say they sent an email, when I asked if they could resend it so we could verify that it was sent correctly, I was told no. They send me emails and give me phone calls about all kinds of trivial stuff. No, I didn't read the rules and memorize them, but, I will from now on. Or maybe have a lawyer review all that stuff. Or if Carnival has some other types of problems maybe it will be RCL.

Thank you to the supporters, you are the people I like to cruise with!

So let me get this stright no mater what he had done or in this case didn't do is meaningless. Every thing that goes worng is autiomaticly Carnival's fault. Sorry but if you are booking a cruise, in most cassses depending on on the length and cabin booked, you are making a multi $1000 purchase. If you want into best buy to purchase a new tv and after paying $2000+ for it found the stand was extra. Would that be best buy's fault. And keep in mind the money the op is saying was stolen was in fact money he was going to have to pay in the end anyways. Yes Carnival deserves crriticism but to say the op's actions are meaningless just shows your true position as a CARNIVAL HATER.

Carnival's policy is as ridiculous as your original comment. Judging by the number of complaints on this board alone, it has to be a problem Carnival is aware of. They need to fix it one way or the other. If everyone is so 'aware' of it, why do we keep reading this same complaints over and over. If Carnival wants business, the need to make a booking as simple as possible. Right now that's not the case.

There have been posts on here by people who used both a pvp or a TA and had this same issue cone up. I just think Carnival's system should be able to easily have something pop up on the screen immediately to remind whatever type of agent that the pending change is going to result in the full deposit to be paid. This should be an easy fix.

That would be nice too but how about fixing it so a price drop doesn't effect the initial deposit. Get the programmers on it so your booking is worry free.

I wouldn't have known about this either if I hadn't seen posts from people like you who had this experience. Carnival needs to make this clear on the form you submit for the reduced rate. You should have been emailed when your new rate went through. It's just bad business to treat customers this way. Yes, they have a right to the full deposit if you change your booking, but they just need to let you know upfront.

Just an update, Carnival came through and gave me the price savings without the extra deposit required. They also admitted that the email addresses they sent the email to requiring more deposit money was wrong in their system. Looking at the doc's they have now added the disclaimer in much more prominent place. I still didn't like that I had to go through all of this, but at least things are where they should be. Maybe Carnival read some of the emails and suggestions that I sent because I seen at least one.

Now I can enjoy my Long Island Teas on the cruise.

Happy sailing to everyone!