New menus and ***** !!!!!

trebork

Thre will be much comotion here, as I mentioned in another post, there are other changes as well. If you keep an open mind, I think overall, the changes are what their buying public wanted and will be well received.

Not going to decide which line to cruise with based on tablecloths but seems like another nicety of cruising would be falling by the wayside.

Personally we have been happy with the food up to now but a freshening of the menu cannot hurt.

Wonder about the no tablecloths either. I put on one, with a pad under it for nice dinners. My table is solid oak. I wonder if they will have wooden tables? Place mats? Nice place mats could work.

Sounds like another controversial decision. Bound to cause consternation. You would think they would build their clientele back up, before doing things automatic to hack some folks off..

We sail in March. It will be my daughter's first cruise so she won't know the difference. But we will. Our next cruise after that, already booked is on Princess.

The easiest way to sum it all up is that humans are creatures of habit and generally hate change. Change brings the unknown and humans fear the unknown more than anything.

Yes, it would be nice if every cruise was up to the standards set by the luxury cruises of 100 or even 50 years ago.

But then everyone would be griping about the cost of the tickets.

You can't please all the people all of the time, so the best thing is to just kick back with the frosty beverage of your choice and enjoy the show!:D

1. I will concerned about my own health, been doing it for a lot of years, so no need for "help" from those concerned over germs.

2. Read through the thread, seems many do not care about the atmosphere....which validates the concerns of others that Carnival is entering an era of 'Luby's of the Seas'.

3.All started with a rumor, we know the menu is changing, so whether it happens on Friday or 8 Fridays from now....wait and see....

PS. Our favoriite restaurant is rated one of the Top 10 Steakhouses in the USA. They use tablecloths.

Most won't agree, but tablecloths are currently considered "out of date" and old fashioned in the restaurant world. Very few places use them any more. It's considered much more environmentally friendly as well.

As long as the food and service are good I don't really care if there are tablecloths or not.

There are lots of fine dining places around that no longer use them, either.

True. I don't recall a single high end contemporary restaurant I've been to having tablecloths.

I like that they are trying something new. Much to the dismay for the "I don't like change" peeps. :)

If you reread the announcement Modern table décor and place settings sounds to me that there will be no linen!

Our Server on the Glory in November said December 8th was the date for the roll out and also the new tables.

We shall see.

1. I will concerned about my own health, been doing it for a lot of years, so no need for "help" from those concerned over germs.

2. Read through the thread, seems many do not care about the atmosphere....which validates the concerns of others that Carnival is entering an era of 'Luby's of the Seas'.

3.All started with a rumor, we know the menu is changing, so whether it happens on Friday or 8 Fridays from now....wait and see....

PS. Our favoriite restaurant is rated one of the Top 10 Steakhouses in the USA. They use tablecloths.

Luby's of the Seas is already trademarked by Royal. :p

True. I don't recall a single high end contemporary restaurant I've been to having tablecloths.

I like that they are trying something new. Much to the dismay for the "I don't like change" peeps. :)

I think your comments are right on.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I posted the question to John on the facebook page about the linen and it was confirmed.

I don't know why I feel so sad about this but I think it is because I have cruised since the early 80's and it was always a special part of cruising that you went to a beautifully set dining room to eat.

To me a beautiful meal is complemented by a beautiful table setting...to each their own.

Edited by roundthebend

If you reread the announcement Modern table décor and place settings sounds to me that there will be no linen!

Our Server on the Glory in November said December 8th was the date for the roll out and also the new tables.

And potentially/possibly/probably the demise of the decorative chargers (with the "ghost people") as well.

I have to admit In was a bit dismayed and disappointed when I heard that Carnival might be getting rid of table cloths, but if executed properly it could actually look nice. It could potentially look like this:

iJRqIicTyixQ.jpg

The tables actually don't look that bad.

It doesn't sound too terrible to me, to be quite honest.

Tablecloths are a thing of the past. No one noticed there are no tablecloths in the Steakhouse? I'm not too torn up about their demise. Modern contemporary upscale dining usually has no tablecloths.

The menu NEEDED and overhaul. Some of the dishes that were listed sound absolutely delicious. The Ports of Call section is something many people have been asking for forever. Local flavors from the ports we visit on the menus.

The only thing that I'm not convinced about is the family style concept. What's the point? What if I want pie and no one else does? Is the rest of the pie going to waste? No thanks. I see them getting rid of this part post haste.

Everything else looks interesting and I'm interested in the experience. Can't wait for pics and menus tomorrow.

I don't knock Carnival much, but removal of table cloths is over the top for me.
It's going to look awfully tacky! :cool:

How much lower does Carnival go before re-installing the fuel surcharge that we grumbled about?

I see the root ROOT cause of all this cost-cutting (leading down to hell)

as non-payment of the fuel surcharge.

We thought we got away from that? Laughing Out Loud!

You are now discovering the cost to you...of non-payment of fuel surcharge.

Carnival used to nickel and dime it outa you

but now they dime-ing and quartering us, and there ain't nuthin we can complain about

because we get what we pay for, and we don't wanna pay!

I posted the question to John on the facebook page about the linen and it was confirmed.

I don't know why I feel so sad about this but I think it is because I have cruised since the early 80's and it was always a special part of cruising that you went to a beautifully set dining room to eat.

To me a beautiful meal is complemented by a beautiful table setting...to each their own.

Impacts me the same way. I'm disappointed, but this one thing isn't a deal-breaker.

However, downgraded entertainment is.