New menus and ***** !!!!!

trebork

Normally I try not to respond to MDR postings but this one threw me for a loop. I can't imagine all of those fancy plates and glasses sitting on a table with no linen. What about germs if they hap-hazzardly wipe them down between meals.

Plus I cannot imagine they are going to say anything with the added expense of new tables.

Most won't agree, but tablecloths are currently considered "out of date" and old fashioned in the restaurant world. Very few places use them any more. It's considered much more environmentally friendly as well.

As long as the food and service are good I don't really care if there are tablecloths or not.

There are lots of fine dining places around that no longer use them, either.

Then it is not "Fine Dining". Sure, they may charge higher prices and have better food; but that does not make it "fine dining". "Fine Dining" is an experience, which atmosphere is inherently a part of, not a place. IMHO

Then it is not "Fine Dining". Sure, they may charge higher prices and have better food; but that does not make it "fine dining". "Fine Dining" is an experience, which atmosphere is inherently a part of, not a place. IMHO

That is false! Maybe a trip to a major city like NYC and LA. Then you will see you are wrong about your response!

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Table linens have nothing to do with whether or not it's "fine dining." Not a requirement in my book.

I'm familiar with what fine dining entails since I put myself through college while working in a 4 diamond rated restaurant. It has more to do with the food, the style of service, and the place settings and linens are not required (most designers now won't use them considering them out of fashion.)

Just as an example - here's one of the top rated fine dining places in Miami and not a tablecloth in sight.

http://www.zumarestaurant.com/zuma-landing/miami/en/restaurant/

Edited by vacruizer

The harder surface is less likely to harbor germs than linen which must be washed at a high enough temp to kill things and holds those germs in the fibers if something gets on them (think a waiter sneezing during table setup.)

I can't count the amount of times I have been in a restaurant and seen the busboy wipe down the table top and use the same cloth to wipe down the chairs or booth seats. Do they use the same cloth over and over - more than likely.

I can't count the amount of times I have been in a restaurant and seen the busboy wipe down the table top and use the same cloth to wipe down the chairs or booth seats. Do they use the same cloth over and over - more than likely.

Technically against health code if it's done without rinsing the rag in a sanitizing or bleach water solution. Yes, you use the same rag, but it should be placed in a sanitizing bucket between wipes.

They should wipe table first, then seats. After that, the rag should be re-wet with sanitizing solution before moving on to the next table. Not saying it happens, but that's how it's supposed to work. If most people really knew what went on in some restaurant kitchens, though, they'd never eat out again.

Edited by vacruizer

I have never eaten a table cloth, didn't realize they helped the quality of the food. :D

They don't have anything to do with the taste of the food , but to some they are the justification for wearing a gown or tux or suit in the MDR. :)

I have to agree with some of the posters. We have been to several upscale restaurants and they don't use table cloths.

Plus I cannot imagine they are going to say anything with the added expense of new tables.

New tables are a one time expense. Linen is expensive and also there is the EPA factor. We own a restaurant and put linens on for Dinner starting at 4:00 p.m. Linen is expensive!

Yes, but as Vacruizer said they use Sanitizer! I agree if most people knew what went on in restaurants, they wouldn't eat out again or put lemons in their water! I only eat in "open" kitchens unless I know the Management at the restaurant and have seen the kitchen. :eek:

I for one do not care whether or not there are linens on a dining table. I actually hope CCL is taking a "greener" approach, rather than a "cheaper" approach in eliminating the table linens. I look forward to some new menu items, as for my past few cruises I have sat in the dining room and seem to have gotten a bit bored with the menu choices- which I never thought would happen! And as far as passing an appy around a table for others to share - as long as it is only my family, I am good with that. If there are other diners at the table, it kinda skeeves me out to share, as I have seen others with not-so-great table manners touch and not take food.

I for one do not care whether or not there are linens on a dining table. I actually hope CCL is taking a "greener" approach, rather than a "cheaper" approach in eliminating the table linens. I look forward to some new menu items, as for my past few cruises I have sat in the dining room and seem to have gotten a bit bored with the menu choices- which I never thought would happen! And as far as passing an appy around a table for others to share - as long as it is only my family, I am good with that. If there are other diners at the table, it kinda skeeves me out to share, as I have seen others with not-so-great table manners touch and not take food.

As in a "hands on" approach:confused::eek:

Perhaps along with the platter of calamari, or the big bowl of Caesar salad, Carnival will supply tongs or another serving utensil?

Perhaps along with the platter of calamari, or the big bowl of Caesar salad, Carnival will supply tongs or another serving utensil?

Did you mean this seriously?:eek: Of course they will supply serving utensils. What would you expect grabbing a handful of calamari with your fingers. EWWWWW

Did you mean this seriously?:eek: Of course they will supply serving utensils. What would you expect grabbing a handful of calamari with your fingers. EWWWWW

Well that takes the fun out of family style dining *LOL*

Seriously, I am sure they will be providing utensils. At least at a table in a dining room you can see everyone use the tongs or serving spoons . At the buffets who knows what someone did 5-10 minutes before you got there.

I find that I am feeling decidedly old fashioned. Cost and effort aside, I love having table cloths on the tables, it gives everything a more finished look. Now, having said that, do I really care if there are cloths on the tables? No, not really, but in my own home, it is my preference. I'm traveling with friends, so it will be more my dinner companions and the food itself that I will be focusing on, not what is decorating the table.

I think that due to all the complaining about how long it is taking to get service and the food being luke warm Carnival has made changes to the manner in which we now get our food. The less trips the faster the service the better the service should get. That being said i think that passing a plate around the table is fine provided it is done with family and friends only. I think that with strangers it would be awkward and not in good taste.

Why for an extra charge?

I'm trying to wrap my head around that one. The extra charge. Maybe I am not understanding?

Included food all over the place but these specific items are not? Trying to understand the reasoning here. So, you can have the steak and lobster, etc. but if I want a share-able portion of say... flatbread or salad, there is a charge for that?

I'm trying to wrap my head around that one. The extra charge. Maybe I am not understanding?

Included food all over the place but these specific items are not? Trying to understand the reasoning here. So, you can have the steak and lobster, etc. but if I want a share-able portion of say... flatbread or salad, there is a charge for that?

From JH's FB page:

To clarify: No charges for any food on these new menus

cheers

THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE FOR FOOD MENU ITEMS ON THE NEW MENU (Alcohol is always an additional charge).

No need to wrap your head around anything. Everyone is spewing bits and pieces that end up misconstrued and people end of ticked off.

This menu is being rolled out ONLY on the Carnival Glory, Sunday December 8 Sailing. I will be on it so look for information possibly during the sailing from me, and definitely when I get back.

I think that due to all the complaining about how long it is taking to get service and the food being luke warm Carnival has made changes to the manner in which we now get our food. The less trips the faster the service the better the service should get. That being said i think that passing a plate around the table is fine provided it is done with family and friends only. I think that with strangers it would be awkward and not in good taste.

It is ONLY 'family style' by choice! If you are at an 8-topper and only two of you are together, there is no expectation that you will share your meal with anyone else other than your travel-mate.

Been cruising since I was 11, starting on RCCL. Back then, cutting up steaks for, using the crumb cleaners after dinner to make the table cloth nice was part and parcel of cruising. Noticed on CCL, no crumb cleaning of the table with that fancy little 'scrapper'. Now they are taking away the table clothes completely. There is just something that is nice and comfortable about a table cloth. I also appreciate how it can kinda 'hide' certain wardrobe issues. (I have a tendency to try and fit a certain dress and it just may look better standing, but when I sit down, I don't have to worry about did it ride up too high, is it hiding certain flaws? I know it sounds silly, but the fancy table really does add to the dinner. I think atmosphere tends to say a lot. For instance, you can have a highly expensive very upscale dinner without tablecloths and the expected attire may be nice evening clothes with a pair of dark jeans. But at a fancy venue, the expectation would be different. I guess that's where formal wear is on the way out too.

For me, I like to feel like a nice dinner out is part of the cruise every night. My last cruise line had crumbs cleaned off the table before dessert so that they didn't get all over you. I appreciated it.

Maybe I just was raised to expect a certain level from cruising.

Been cruising since I was 11, starting on RCCL. Back then, cutting up steaks for, using the crumb cleaners after dinner to make the table cloth nice was part and parcel of cruising. Noticed on CCL, no crumb cleaning of the table with that fancy little 'scrapper'. Now they are taking away the table clothes completely. There is just something that is nice and comfortable about a table cloth. I also appreciate how it can kinda 'hide' certain wardrobe issues. (I have a tendency to try and fit a certain dress and it just may look better standing, but when I sit down, I don't have to worry about did it ride up too high, is it hiding certain flaws? I know it sounds silly, but the fancy table really does add to the dinner. I think atmosphere tends to say a lot. For instance, you can have a highly expensive very upscale dinner without tablecloths and the expected attire may be nice evening clothes with a pair of dark jeans. But at a fancy venue, the expectation would be different. I guess that's where formal wear is on the way out too.

For me, I like to feel like a nice dinner out is part of the cruise every night. My last cruise line had crumbs cleaned off the table before dessert so that they didn't get all over you. I appreciated it.

I have to agree with others that say tablecloths are considered old fashion and a thing of the past. I have two friends that are GM's at two of the better fine dinning places here in Denver. I know neither of their places use them so after reading this thread I sent them a text asking their opinion since both have worked their entire life in fine dinning both said that they wouldn't use them and has been years since it was common practice to use them. They both mentioned they would probably even be a little skeptical if they walked into a place that was supposed to be upscale and they were still using them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I don't recall my raising having anything to do with a certain level of anything....let alone cruising, but that is just me.

Carnival actually used to have that little scraper as you call it. I always thought of it as over the top. Bottom line is they tink they have enhanced the MDR experience. People will either confirm that or not. I applaud their effort to do just that.

If crumb scrapers and tablecloths do that for you (or anyone else for that matter), then you have a choice to make. I think most will wait and see.