Travel Insurance...Necessary Or Not While Pregnant & Cruising?

kbset

I've read about people getting travel insurance due to their health insurance not covering them while on board (not sure if this is true or not) but my husband and I are debating on whether it would be a good idea or not to get travel insurance for me during our B2B cruises since I am pregnant.

I will be 17 weeks at the departure of our first cruise and this is also our first baby so we are pretty much clueless on what to do about the whole travel insurance idea. Yes, we have informed Royal Caribbean about the pregnancy and we know we have to get a letter from my doctor stating how many weeks I am and that I'm fit to travel.

Has anyone had any experience with travel insurance and is it a good idea? Sorry if this seems like a weird question to ask but I would really appreciate some input :o Thanks in advance!

I've read about people getting travel insurance due to their health insurance not covering them while on board (not sure if this is true or not) but my husband and I are debating on whether it would be a good idea or not to get travel insurance for me during our B2B cruises since I am pregnant.

I will be 17 weeks at the departure of our first cruise and this is also our first baby so we are pretty much clueless on what to do about the whole travel insurance idea. Yes, we have informed Royal Caribbean about the pregnancy and we know we have to get a letter from my doctor stating how many weeks I am and that I'm fit to travel.

Has anyone had any experience with travel insurance and is it a good idea? Sorry if this seems like a weird question to ask but I would really appreciate some input :o Thanks in advance!

I would get travel insurance and make sure pregnancy is covered. Better to be safe than sorry. Also see if you can get a scan and OB appointment prior to sailing. Just make sure everything is ok.

I found out I was pregnant just before a cruise ie not that far along. Sailed from Australia to New Zealand but the pregnancy was eptopic. My OB was furious as my tubes could have burst in the middle of the 3 day sail across the pacific. Imagine paying for a medical evacuation that far out from sea!

I had a personal experience while onboard our b2b honeymoon on the Allure. I had gotten pretty sick during the second half of the trip, strep throat fever and double ear infection. Not fun! We had the ins thru the cruise but they did not cover anything from the medical center. We ended up paying for the medical care and meds outa pocket. We were told the ins would not cover! For us after that we never took ins again.

Shop for appropriate insurance to cover your needs. So many different things can happen before or during your cruise; the amount the insurance costs is small potatoes to protect your expenditure and to cover for catastrophic events.

I for one wouldn't want to be on the hook for transport back to the US if I had to be left at a foreign port for medical reasons.

My folks had to disembark a cruise for immediate family issues; the airfare home was $2K along. Their trip insurance reimbursed the unused cruise days and the airfare.

My opinion is to purchase appropriate and adequate insurance, consider it as part of the cost of the trip, and hope you never have to use it.

Shop for appropriate insurance to cover your needs. So many different things can happen before or during your cruise; the amount the insurance costs is small potatoes to protect your expenditure and to cover for catastrophic events.

My opinion is to purchase appropriate and adequate insurance, consider it as part of the cost of the trip, and hope you never have to use it.

I agree with this^

Definitely get insurance. But not what the cruise line is selling. Shop around for coverage that meets your specific needs. Get evacuation to $50k (not just $25k) and make sure pregnancy is covered in your policy. Try insure my trip dot com.

Pregnant or not everyone should get travel insurance. Most health insurance does not cover you once you leave the country. If you had to go to a hospital or get other medical care could you afford a multi-thousand dollar bill? Far too many people think "I'm young and healthy, I don't need insurance" and hopefully they (and you) won't have to use it, but who knows?

I agree that you should shop around. Usually the cruise line insurance has the least coverage and for the same (or possible less) you can get much better coverage.

P.S. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Edited by Scrapnana

The only way to know if your current health insurance covers you while on the cruise is to call or email and and ask. You will want to know (and get in writing):

1. will it cover care in a foreign port? Also, will it cover hotel/food bills for your spouse while staying in the foreign port with you?

2. Will it cover care provided on the ship?

3. Will it cover medical evacuation from the ship (up to what amount? Personally, I always want 100K or more there)?

If you do not already have this coverage, I agree with others that you should research travel insurance (insuremytrip.com is a good place to start) and buy something sooner rather than later.

Other things you may want to look for would be:

will they cover lodging if you are released from the hospital but not cleared to travel and must therefore remain local to the treatment area for a period of time?

Will they cove airfare home (for you only, or you and spouse) after treatment that required not finishing your cruise?

Will they cover the cost of upgraded seats if needed to travel home (if you have a broken bone that requires you keep your leg elevated, so you need a first class seat, etc)?

I was injured in Hawaii. Broken knee cap & dislocation. We are from Australia. OMG $10,000USD medical costs. I had full travel insurance. As I didn't have an American Medicare card I could not even get prescription painkillers & over the counter painkillers they were reluctant to sell me. An American woman offered to help me.

Don't recommend getting injured in a foreign country.

Go the travel insurance. We have full coverage for our cruise.

Our first cruise in Hawaii with NCL was cut short due to damage. I managed to claim enough back from travel insurance for a trip to New Zealand. Made a ruined trip not so bad.

Btw will not be going back to Hawaii for quiet some time......

Some cruise friends of ours had a medical emergency and one of them was hospitalised in Norway.

They had Royals insurance package and RCI were wonderful, arranged everything including a member of staff to stay with them for the first 5 days until the needed operation so do not discount Royals insurance deals.

They told us what the cost would have been if they had to pay for everything and it was huge specially the air ambulance needed to bring them home when fit to travel.

You absolutely should get travel insurance with at least $50k evacuation coverage. Check your medical insurance and see what it covers (ours had medical evacuation at one point) and make sure you buy a travel policy that will cover you where your current medical insurance doesn't. Your pregnancy will be considered a pre-existing condition so since you didn't purchase insurance at the same time as booking your cruise, the premium will be higher. Check out insuremytrip.com for a lot of good information and policies.

I

Don't recommend getting injured in a foreign country..

Who would?:p

There are a few people here who say travel insurance is a waste of money. They're in the minority.

We buy it for cruises, not travel in the US. It's not that expensive. In addition to additional medical coverage beyond your normal policy, the evacution coverage is a big plus if something serious comes up. You also get a lot of smaller things with most policies (trip interruption, extra baggage coverage, 24 hour help line, etc). Look for one that has PRIMARY medical, meaning if you need the coverage they pay up front and you don't have to use your regular policy first.

I had a personal experience while onboard our b2b honeymoon on the Allure. I had gotten pretty sick during the second half of the trip, strep throat fever and double ear infection. Not fun! We had the ins thru the cruise but they did not cover anything from the medical center. We ended up paying for the medical care and meds outa pocket. We were told the ins would not cover! For us after that we never took ins again.

That's awful. DId you get an explanation for why your travel insurance didn't cover your expenses?!

Yes, definitely get it. Hopefully, you will have a wonderful and uneventful cruise but in case something happens, you want to know that you won't have to deal with crazy medical bills afterwards.

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand the policy? You have to pay the medical costs upfront and then you submit a claim with Berkley when you get home. Your expenses should have been reimbursed.

Important : Regarding Pre-exiting Conditions.

Since OP's pregnancy would be considered a pre-existing, most travel insurance companies require that the policy is purchased within 10-14 days of the initial booking date in order for any pre-existing conditions to be waived.

Also if purchased through RCCL directly than OP must check to make certain pre-existing conditions are covered as many policies offered by cruise lines do not waive pre-existing conditions.

If OP is still within the 10-14 day period from the booking date following are websites that she can compare travel insurance policies.

http://www.insuremytrip.com

http://www.squaremouth.com

http://www.quotewright.com

First, congrats on your first baby !!!

We always take insurance, so I could talk all day about why you should buy it. ;)

Your main concern is you and being pregnant, but have you given any thought to what "IF" anything happens to your husband? Or if something happening right before you depart and need to cancel, you would be out all your expenses.

Please get insurance, if nothing else peace of mind!!

The only way to know if your current health insurance covers you while on the cruise is to call or email and and ask. You will want to know (and get in writing):

1. will it cover care in a foreign port? Also, will it cover hotel/food bills for your spouse while staying in the foreign port with you?

2. Will it cover care provided on the ship?

3. Will it cover medical evacuation from the ship (up to what amount? Personally, I always want 100K or more there)?

If you do not already have this coverage, I agree with others that you should research travel insurance (insuremytrip.com is a good place to start) and buy something sooner rather than later.

Other things you may want to look for would be:

will they cover lodging if you are released from the hospital but not cleared to travel and must therefore remain local to the treatment area for a period of time?

Will they cove airfare home (for you only, or you and spouse) after treatment that required not finishing your cruise?

Will they cover the cost of upgraded seats if needed to travel home (if you have a broken bone that requires you keep your leg elevated, so you need a first class seat, etc)?

Great points and obviously exisiting health insurance does not cover most of the above issues. Also, hospitals and doctors in foreign countries will not take your "Blue Cross card" since they have no way of getting reimbursed. Good Travel Insurance will guarantee payment to hospital or doctor and make arrangements. Without travel insurance, you will need to pay all bills in cash or credit card and then get reimbursed for covered expenses from your health insurance provider in the U.S.

Sounds like OP has already booked cruises and is out of luck as far as coverage for previously existing conditions.

Really does not make sense to travel without travel insurance. If you have no previously exsting conditions just buy a nominal $1000 policy which gives you $1000 cancellation coverage and full coverage for all other issues - medical, evacuation, missed flights, etc. I I usually get this for less than $100 (wife and I). Of course if you have an expensive trip, you may want to purchase additional cancellation coverage. I can cover a few thousand for my trip but I do not want to cover $100,000 for medical evacuation.

I say get it.

The small cost of it would be so worth it, if needed.

Also, hopefully wouldn't have you come back on here whining about the meanies who wouldn't reimburse you, even though you didn't buy it.

People really do this.

I wish you the best, and hope you don't need it.

Wrong conclusion. That's why you don't purchase travel insurance thru the cruise line. In most cases you would be required to pay for medical attention on the ship and then get reimbursed.

FYI

There are a few travel insurers who will cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase within a very tight window, e.g., 24 hours, of final payment. One is CSA. (I don't have anything to do with them, but I am loyal to them, as they have promptly paid two claims over the years, one of which was based on a pre-ex condition, plus the ability to buy insurance with pre-ex at final payment suits is a good fit for our trip planning style--we often don't know until final payment if we're really going to go.)

OP, best wishes on your pregnancy!

Edited by Artemis

Definitely get the insurance, but you have to do it right after booking to get coverage for a pre-existing condition. Our niece booked an Alaska cruise in May for August right after she found out she was pregnant. They wanted a Baby Moon. All was well and her doctor provided a letter to the cruise line stating she was fit to travel, due date etc. Well, to make a long story short about 2 weeks before the cruise she goes for a check up and ultrasound and found out she had placenta previa. She had to cancel the cruise and was put on bed rest where she remains until delivery in January 2014.

Thankfully, Allianz refunded all of their money. Since she bought the insurance at the time she booked the cruise her pre-existing condition was covered. The letter from the doctor to the cruise line was instrumental in proving that her pregnancy was normal at the time of booking and that she was deemed fit to travel.

How long ago did you book the trip? I think to have pre-existing conditions covered by trip insurance you have to buy it in the first so long (2 weeks, 30 days, specified by policy). Am I wrong? Anyone? Pregnancy is certainly pre-existing.

Pregnancy is usually addressed as a separate line item - usually normal pregnancy expenses are not covered but complications of pregnancy are covered. You'd need to make sure of this exclusion/coverage in any Policy you're considering. ken

This debate has and will go on forever and ever. No matter how many people want to argue why it's not a good investment, or how many people want to argue "better safe than sorry", there is no single right answer.

If you want to make an informed decision, try this:

First, decide WHAT you are trying to obtain coverage for. Are you looking to make sure you're covered for medical care abroad? Are you after medical transport back home if something happens? Are you after cancellation coverage? If so, are you after it in case of certain medical eventualities? Or are you after blanked coverage for any reason?

Second. And this is the step that many here who always get insurance seem to skip. Check with your current health insurance provider and see what kind of coverage you currently have. Most people will be surprised to find they are actually very well covered. However, they usually have to make the payment and then get reimbursed from their insurer. However, this isn't much different than a lot of travel insurance products on the market.

Third, decide what your level of comfort is with regards to risk. As with any investment, travel insurance involves various risks and rewards. And only by looking at your own financial situation and comfort level can you make an educated decision.

Personally, I have chosen to purchase international medical transport coverage (I bought mine through MedJetAssist, but there are others to look at as well). I travel quite a bit, and this covers me any time I'm away from home with regards to getting me back to the medical facility of my choice from anywhere in the world. I paid a one-time fee, and I'm covered for the length of the agreement (the longer the agreement the less per-year, but you pay up front). In addition, I am comfortable covering the interim expenses if I need medical coverage overseas, and am happy to have the quality health insurance I already pay dear for reimburse me.

As for cancellation protection, I consider myself self-insured. I am confident that even if I should be unlucky once and lose the cost of a cruise due to last minute cancellation, I will come out ahead over the long term. In other words, I didn't find this to be a worthwhile part of my investment portfolio.

If, on the other hand, someone has health issues or family circumstances that make the possibility of cancellation a lot higher, or they are personally not comfortable with the potential financial loss, then insurance might be a more appropriate investment.

There is however, NO single right answer. Although people here will argue until they are blue in the face that there is.