Tipping

gadabout60

Quick question - does everyone routinely tip the porters who take your luggage from your car / taxi?

I haven't in the past but wonder if I am being mean ?

Probably the best way to find out is to set up an anonymous poll (if it can be done on this forum)

Quick question - does everyone routinely tip the porters who take your luggage from your car / taxi?

I haven't in the past but wonder if I am being mean ?

Yes, I would say always but sometimes the blighters are too quick and are off before you can catch them.

I think it is more important to tip the porter at the end of the cruise who takes your luggage to your car. Especially for me as they alway help with my scooter.

As Dai has said the porters are so quick when you arrive at the port that you hardly have time to think about a tip. By the time you've ensured that they have taken only the cases you want to go with them and that you've kept your hand luggage and then have signed your car over to CPS the porters have gone. I went with a female friend on a cruise earlier this year and we did have a porter to take our cases from the luggage hall to the car - and he kindly loaded them into the car - and we did give him a hefty tip - it was well worth it to us.:)

I tip the porters £5 or $10 for the two of us, (2 big suitcases total) depending on where in the world I am, they do a good job. I understand they are supposed to pool their tips and split the kitty at the end of the day.

Made round to go round as we say in Australia.

While I am here, is it the norm to tip Taxi Drivers in UK ? I rarely take cabs in Australia these days, not living in the big smoke, but generally round out the fare if the driver and ride is ok, i.e. $15 fare, give the driver $20 and tell him/her to keep the change. So that would be acceptable in UK?

Edited by NSWP

I tip the porters £5 or $10 for the two of us, (2 big suitcases total) depending on where in the world I am, they do a good job. I understand they are supposed to pool their tips and split the kitty at the end of the day.

While I am here, is it the norm to tip Taxi Drivers in UK ? I rarely take cabs in Australia these days, not living in the big smoke, but generally round out the fare if the driver and ride is ok, i.e. $15 fare, give the driver $20 and tell him/her to keep the change. So that would be acceptable in UK?

Errrr...... Yes

Molly/Dai, thanks for advice, don't want to upset the locals when we are in UK next year.

Yes, rounding up is the way we do it here for cabs and restaurants, well the way I do it anyway.

Have a great Christmas.

If your taxi fare is £15, rounding up to £20 is being extremely generous. What I usually do (not saying right or wrong,but it's me..) if the fare is £15.50, I wait for the change and then hand back £1.50. If it's £18, then I just hand over the £20 and say 'keep the change'.

For the porters at Southampton taking luggage at embarkation I usually try to give them something, even if only £1 for my one bag. I do that because many of them have given up their Saturday for extra wages. Tips are certainly not expected at Southampton, and the porters will not 'hang around' for them. As has been said, they are usually so quick you don't even time to put your hand in your pocket.

When disemabarking and you use a porter to take your luggage to the car then thats a bit different. Couple of £ per bag would be good.

If your taxi fare is £15, rounding up to £20 is being extremely generous. What I usually do (not saying right or wrong,but it's me..) if the fare is £15.50, I wait for the change and then hand back £1.50. If it's £18, then I just hand over the £20 and say 'keep the change'.

For the porters at Southampton taking luggage at embarkation I usually try to give them something, even if only £1 for my one bag. I do that because many of them have given up their Saturday for extra wages. Tips are certainly not expected at Southampton, and the porters will not 'hang around' for them. As has been said, they are usually so quick you don't even time to put your hand in your pocket.

When disemabarking and you use a porter to take your luggage to the car then thats a bit different. Couple of £ per bag would be good.

Copied SwissDave, thanks for the advice.