Taking Wine Onboard

anmajojo

I stand corrected. Thank you. :o

We have never flown from MHT and only SFO a couple times when buying alcohol wasn't on our list of things to do. Guess I should research which US airports have shops stationed inside the secure area which would allow for full bottles of wine to be carried on... even for non international flights.

Edited by eandj

I agree with both of you. I think that "carry-on" in this context refers to wine that you "bring on board" whether that is physically carried on by you or given to a porter. After all, they often call people down to a security room to pay for and collect the wine that was observed in the scanners. Checking luggage on a ship is not analogous to checking luggage on a plane. On the latter, you don't get your bags in transit and collect them at your final destination. On a ship, your luggage is delivered to you in a matter of hours. Since it all finds its way to your cabin, it really doesn't matter if you carry it on or hand it over to a porter. So I think your wine can be placed in either a carried on bag or portered bag. That said, there is always a risk in encountering a port employee who just doesn't get this and implements the rules as s/he sees fit. To avoid all doubt, my wine stays with me. I have no problem checking it on a plane since air travel rules are unambiguous. Wine is a liquid, so it gets checked, no questions asked.

I agree with you except that port employees shouldn't have anything to do with the contents of your luggage.

The scanners would be when the luggage is actually loading on to the ship and I would think that at that point it's Princess employees.

Still makes me nervous to put wine in the checked luggage, though. :(

He does. He says 'from a US airport'.

Says "from here" to a US airport, not "from" a US airport.

Still can't carry bottles on board if flying to Florida or any other US airport from here. Needs to go in checked luggage.

Says "from here" to a US airport, not "from" a US airport.

Previous post:

"These are not US airports. International flight TSA rules are different from flights originating/connecting in and ending in a U.S. airport. If you pick up bottles for example in ORD/Chicago, you need to put it in your checked bags to get it to MIA or Ft. L. Doesn't matter where you bought it, at the airport or the local store. "

If I put a box of wine wrapped In a plastic (there are now better quality boxed wines at Total Wine) in our checked luggage will there be an issue ? I was think in that and a bottle of sparkling wine as a carry on for an embaq toast . Any thoughts ?

Your best bet to avoid a hassle is to bring bottles (vs a box) and to carry it on (vs check it).

There are conflicting anecdotes re boxed wines. No definitive answers. As long as you know it can be removed from your suitcase and/or you will be charged corkage fees for it, if above alloted amounts for room consumption, go ahead pack it. What exactly are you asking? No one here will tell you what exactly will happen at your time/date/ship embarkation. Try it and come back here to report.;)

We have been on two Princess cruises since the new rules have gone into effect. Both times, we checked a case of wine with no problems. They just charge the corkage fee on 10 bottles and deliver it to your room.

On our Alaska cruise, we also bought wine in ports with no questions asked. Our first Hawaii port is today, so we will give it a try and let you know how it goes. :-)

I had checked 2 cases with my luggage in a shipper earlier this year in Fort Lauderdale and had no problem.

I'm hoping you are following this thread or it forwards to an email to you.

We love the big styles of wine: Shiraz/Cabs/Chards and the ones with the big mouth feel. We find that those styles are in the upper end of the $$ on board. And we're going to be on Crown Princess for 7 weeks so I'd like to be able to continue to enjoy wines with dinner. And if we're looking at $45 bottle wines for 7 weeks...well.....

*If prices on board are high, I wouldn't mind investigating bringing multiple cases (two) of wine on board at embarkation.

*We're staying near the beach at a hotel we haven't stayed at before. FLL is unfamiliar to us, so we're trying to find a wine store near the hotel. Consequently we have no idea of how the store/s handle people buying/taking two cases of wine from the store to the ship.

*How did you handle getting them on board and to your room? How do you 'carry them on'? or How do you check them so they get to your room unbroken? Where/when does one pay the $15 corkages?

I can live with paying a $15 surcharge knowing that the wines I like on board are costing $45+. Even with corkage, I'd still save $15 a bottle by buying before embarking.

Brian has mobility issues, so if we just purchase a bottle or two at every port, it could get costly/time consuming trying to chase down liquor/wine stores in each port if we have to go by taxi for just two bottles of wine.

And then there's the added puzzle of being unfamiliar with various wines. Coming from the Great White North, most of the wines we see on listings are unfamiliar to us, so in order to get the biggie mouth feel, it can get costly just working our way through the listings to find one in a style that we like at a reasonable price. Ditto for picking up wine in port. What's the old line...There are only two types of wine..good and bad. If I like it, it's good. If I don't like it, it's bad.

Our email addy is yknot05 at hotmail dot com if you have any suggestions. That's yknot and then the digits zero and five.

Thanks.

We love the big styles of wine: Shiraz/Cabs/Chards and the ones with the big mouth feel. We find that those styles are in the upper end of the $$ on board. And we're going to be on Crown Princess for 7 weeks so I'd like to be able to continue to enjoy wines with dinner. And if we're looking at $45 bottle wines for 7 weeks...well.....

*If prices on board are high, I wouldn't mind investigating bringing multiple cases (two) of wine on board at embarkation.

*We're staying near the beach at a hotel we haven't stayed at before. FLL is unfamiliar to us, so we're trying to find a wine store near the hotel. Consequently we have no idea of how the store/s handle people buying/taking two cases of wine from the store to the ship.

*How did you handle getting them on board and to your room? How do you 'carry them on'? or How do you check them so they get to your room unbroken? Where/when does one pay the $15 corkages?

I can live with paying a $15 surcharge knowing that the wines I like on board are costing $45+. Even with corkage, I'd still save $15 a bottle by buying before embarking.

Brian has mobility issues, so if we just purchase a bottle or two at every port, it could get costly/time consuming trying to chase down liquor/wine stores in each port if we have to go by taxi for just two bottles of wine.

And then there's the added puzzle of being unfamiliar with various wines. Coming from the Great White North, most of the wines we see on listings are unfamiliar to us, so in order to get the biggie mouth feel, it can get costly just working our way through the listings to find one in a style that we like at a reasonable price. Ditto for picking up wine in port. What's the old line...There are only two types of wine..good and bad. If I like it, it's good. If I don't like it, it's bad.

Our email addy is yknot05 at hotmail dot com if you have any suggestions. That's yknot and then the digits zero and five.

Thanks.

We have been on two Princess cruises since the new rules have gone into effect. Both times, we checked a case of wine with no problems. They just charge the corkage fee on 10 bottles and deliver it to your room.

On our Alaska cruise, we also bought wine in ports with no questions asked. Our first Hawaii port is today, so we will give it a try and let you know how it goes. :-)

Thanks.

My husband and I each carried 2 bottles of wine on board on our cruise Nov 24 on Royal Princess our of FLL. We each put 1 in backpacks and 1 in roller bags. Security asked me to move to a small table aside xrays but I moved right on through to check in line. It is a very busy time at security. My husband however, was redirected to table, told them he had one bottle and they noted that and he followed me to check in line. No further problems, no extra charges on bill. We consumed wine in our room and bought glasses of wine with dinner at times.

)

This is not up for dispute. Cruisers know they will now pay a corkage when carrying on a larger quantity of wine. Not like in the past when we carried on a box of 8 bottles without a wink or cash due.

In fact, when we had the embarking photo taken by the ship's photographers, DH is standing there with the box on his hip. :D And you know how the pictures are on display for everyone to see!

This is not up for dispute. Cruisers know they will now pay a corkage when carrying on a larger quantity of wine. Not like in the past when we carried on a box of 8 bottles without a wink or cash due.

In fact, when we had the embarking photo taken by the ship's photographers, DH is standing there with the box on his hip. :D And you know how the pictures are on display for everyone to see!

Bear with me...the -30 temps have frozen my brain! I don't have the problem with the $15 corkage. It's the logistics of how one gets the case of wine from the shuttle/taxi to the cabin.

So...you leave the case of wine with your checked bags?

Or you find a way to drag it on with you with your carry on through the security rollers and THEN they take it?

I'm a 60 year old woman, and I'm going to be wearing my backpack with laptop/photography gear. I can probably carry a case of wine through the lineups into the security area. Brian is mobility challenged so he won't be able to carry anything other than his camera equipment. Any suggestions if we hope to get TWO cases of wine onto the ship?

We had a rental car so we just drove by the ship and checked our wine and bag before we returned the car and jumped on the ship shuttle. Piece of cake.

As stated in another reply..the temps here have frozen my brain cells, so I'm just clarifying....

So...you leave the cases of wine with your checked bags? Did you have to protect the bottles in any way other than the way they are divided in the case by cardboard dividers? Were you ever concerned that the box would be scrunched/dropped when the forklifts bombed around?

So, would I just print an extra couple of 'luggage tags' and tape them to the boxes at the wine store, and when we got out of the taxi with our checked baggage, point out the two wine boxes were also coming to the room?

Sorry to be so thick!

We figured that if they had shipped it all the way from Chile to LA in that box, that it would probably make it from th dock to our cabin,ongshoreme. And forklift drivers notwithstanding. It did! So just slap on a label Andes d it to your cabin. :-)

Thanks.

I ship the wine from California to the hotel where we are staying over night. I first call ahead and ask the front desk how they handle shipments for guests.

The day of the cruise I put the case of wine the luggage with the room tag tag taped to the boxe.

I would hope the hotel will the handling of your package to your transportation. And once at the pier the longshoremen will take the case along with your luggage

My wife and I really enjoy wine in our room before dinner and even though we bring wine onboard we also order wine at dinner. I always give some bottles to our room steward and waitstaff. It make for great gifts.

Drink what you enjoy don't let the price influence you.

Edited by wineforhealth

Bear with me...the -30 temps have frozen my brain! I don't have the problem with the $15 corkage. It's the logistics of how one gets the case of wine from the shuttle/taxi to the cabin.

So...you leave the case of wine with your checked bags?

Or you find a way to drag it on with you with your carry on through the security rollers and THEN they take it?

?

I presume you are buying it in Fl? Then have it loaded into and out of the cab along with your suitcases. Yes, print out a couple extra luggage/room tags and tape them on the boxes when you head to the port. Then the luggage and cases of wine can be dropped off together. They will end up in your room,:) Not sure how they will charge you or if they will let two bottles in no charge. We haven't carried that much on since the policy is being more strictly (sometimes) enforced.

• 2 weeks later...
Still can't carry bottles on board if flying to Florida or any other US airport from here. Needs to go in checked luggage.

We put our wine, when we take it, into a carry on sized bag and check it for the flight. Since it is the size of a carry on, we don't have to check it when boarding the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, FYI we just returned from the Mexican Riviera cruise over Christmas. We had a party of 8. 4 people brought a bottle of wine in their suitcase no problem. We checked in a case of wine, as we always have, that we weren't questioned about and paid corkage drinking it at dinner. My father has always brought a bottle of scotch in his luggage to take a nip before dinner and never had a problem with 5 cruises before this, but they removed it this time so he lost it.