Regent First-Timers Just Off the Navigator - our impressions.

LordSpain

We often prefer an informal, light supper rather than full service dinner and the old Veranda evening buffet provided that option. Also, we never had to wait in line for a table which often happens with Sette Mari especially on the smaller Navigator. I know many people love Sette Mari and I agree that the Italian cuisine is very good if that's what you're in the mood for, but I wish we could just grab a quick soup or salad or some cheese/fruit if we aren't especially hungry which is often the case with advancing age! The small Veranda on Navigator can also become fairly chaotic during busy breakfasts with people spilling over in Prime 7 which isn't ideal. We therefore tend to use room service to resolve both problems.

One of the many reasons we prefer to sail with Regent is the LACK of "executive" facilities for "exclusive" passengers. I know some people just love to feel part of a chosen few but we find it divisive and unnecessary. It's one of the less attractive aspects of cruising - all lines - that this kind of snobbery often rears it's head, in some cases actively encouraged by the cruise lines.

I am in total agreement with you. We much prefer the atmosphere and passenger mix on Regent to all other so called Luxury Lines and yes, we have sailed them all. Thank God for choices...:)

I have been on all three lines.

No different than paying for the privilege of having a butler, or penthouse suite on Regent or Oceania, on HAL, I would not go if I could not dine in the Neptune's Lounge. I like that it's a small intimate place to dine. It's not anything to do with snob factor; No more than the Business class Lounge at the airport or the Executive or Concierge lounge on board the O class ships. I won't sail on any line with fixed time seating. Regent lost me on the quality of included excursions but Oceania for me is ideal where just like Burger King, I can have it my way.

Different strokes for different folks. I was on the same ship as the HAL passenger who was on Oceania and is going back to HAL; We dined together a few times. A huge complaint for her was that she could not get a grilled cheese sandwich. I love a good grilled cheese sandwich myself but for me - not a breaking point. We all want things that are in our own comfort zone and what defines our likes/dislikes - and whether or not we can pay for it as it all comes down to choice/financial ability and what we are comfortable with.

IMO, this is not a good comparison. You do not "live" on an airplane 24/7 for days/weeks at a time. People fly business class for many reasons. Being a snob is one of them as are physical disabilities that require more space, etc. We stay in the upper suites on Regent - always have a butler, etc. however, we are human beings like everyone else and do not care what suite level people we are having a drink with or chatting with are on. We have our reasons for travelling in the manner that we do and being a snob is not one of them.

Edited by Travelcat2

IMO, there is no HAL vs Oceania vs Regent. Regent is a luxury all-inclusive cruise line. The others are not...........Apple's and oranges.
.....No poster said differently...So why bring that up?......After you sailed on Oceanias' Riviera you wrote a very glowing and detailed report. FDR could hardly have written a better one. I agreed with your report almost 100%. How do you balance that glowing report with your posts here describing HAL of having and promoting a "class" system which you say is provable because they have a lounge (Neptune) for the exclusive use of their suite level passengers? Therefore, it only goes to reason that Riviera and Marina must also, (according to Travelcat2's definition), even though they each contain TWO exclusive lounges with admittance by key card.....It would save a lot of time if you would finally address this confusion in your logic....:confused:

.....No poster said differently...So why bring that up?......After you sailed on Oceanias' Riviera you wrote a very glowing and detailed report. FDR could hardly have written a better one. I agreed with your report almost 100%. How do you balance that glowing report with your posts here describing HAL of having and promoting a "class" system which you say is provable because they have a lounge (Neptune) for the exclusive use of their suite level passengers? Therefore, it only goes to reason that Riviera and Marina must also, (according to Travelcat2's definition), even though they each contain TWO exclusive lounges with admittance by key card.....It would save a lot of time if you would finally address this confusion in your logic....:confused:

+1 AWED. What do you expect from someone who is receiving special perks and has moved above the cheerleader level to almost becoming a shill?

Why do you feel Sette Mari is "ill conceived?"

Certainly it wasn't explained properly to us but once we got it into our heads that it's both a buffet and an a la carte restaurant in the same space, we found it fine.

Not only that, it has the best table for two on Voyager.

Additionallythe food (especially the fish stew) is awesome other than the lasagne I was served one night which was nowhere near as good as I'd get in my favourite corner caff.

R

IMHO, Sette Mari is "ill conceived" because it is nothing other than an extra Italian specialty retaurant. Many people like an additional dining room for a quick, casual meal. You need to plan 1 1/2-2 hours if you intend to eat there. I like the option of grabbing a quick bite at times, without having to eat in my cabin. This is going to stir the pot....the food is not good. I have had Chicken Marsala in more restaurants than I can keep track of. Regent's version is cooked down and reduced, to the point of almost being burnt. And, it was served this way more than once. I wish they would do a poll and see what others want.

IMHO, Sette Mari is "ill conceived" because it is nothing other than an extra Italian specialty retaurant. Many people like an additional dining room for a quick, casual meal. You need to plan 1 1/2-2 hours if you intend to eat there. I like the option of grabbing a quick bite at times, without having to eat in my cabin....... I wish they would do a poll and see what others want.

Totally agree. I'm glad I'm not the only voice in the wilderness on this! Maybe they could consider setting up a modest Evening Buffet (soup, salads, cold cuts, etc) in the Pool Grill or even extend the Pool Grill opening hours into the early evening (weather permitting of course). It would certainly take the pressure off Sette Mari's limited capacity.

Or maybe we are in such a tiny minority on this we will just have to suck it up and use room service more than we otherwise would.

Our first cruise 2 years ago did not have Sette Marie just La Veranda and I must say that was much better, on our 10 day cruise last year we dined only once in SM and we're not impressed!

I love the ambience (and fine dining) of Compass Rose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We enjoy Sette Mari and will be dining there tonight (our last night on board). I could (and should) make a meal from the appetizers everyone is given and some of the items on the buffet. By the time your main course arrives, you are not that hungry. I will try to control myself tonight:)