Regent First-Timers Just Off the Navigator - our impressions.

LordSpain

We saw a lot of HAL customers on Oceania. It is nice to have a choice between an all-inclusive cruise line and one that does not include alcohol or excursions but has great food and accommodations.

This might be a question for another thread but I wonder what HAL customers particularly like about Regent. Alternatively, what do you consider better on HAL?

One HAL loyalist tried Oceania recently---I believe Riviera. She didn't think the food or service was better (and sometimes worse) than on HAL. She agreed that our favorite HAL ship, Prinsendam had superior food and service. I don't think all HAL ships are equal, so I don't think you can fairly compare them as a line to Regent, or Oceania. But, there are several that are pretty comparable to our experience on Navigator. I know food is subjective, but I wasn't impressed with the food on Navigator. I think HAL has better and more personable service, although I haven't tried any other Regent ship.

We haven't been on the Prinsendam so I can't compare that. We will be doing our first Regent cruise on the Navigator in March and are looking forward very much to experiencing the Regent way of cruising.

We have found the servicelevel of HAL to have dropped significantly in the last few years. They seem to be much more revenue generation focussed then a few years ago.

E.g.

- the Pinnacle Grill is now only open for the regular menu just over half the days of the cruise. The other days there is : Le Cirque, Sommelier diner, Chef's diner etc. All wonderful, but more important, all much more expensive, therefore increasing the Pinnacle Grill revenue significantly.

- the quality of the wines in the premium wine tasting has dropped significantly, in fact, at a wine tasting the now sell 35-45$ bottles of wine (ships price) at $7 per glass in an amount that will give you 10 glasses per bottle. And that in an event that has turned from a pleasurable learning experiment to one big infomercial.

We haven't been on the Prinsendam so I can't compare that. We will be doing our first Regent cruise on the Navigator in March and are looking forward very much to experiencing the Regent way of cruising.

We have found the servicelevel of HAL to have dropped significantly in the last few years. They seem to be much more revenue generation focussed then a few years ago.

E.g.

- the Pinnacle Grill is now only open for the regular menu just over half the days of the cruise. The other days there is : Le Cirque, Sommelier diner, Chef's diner etc. All wonderful, but more important, all much more expensive, therefore increasing the Pinnacle Grill revenue significantly.

- the quality of the wines in the premium wine tasting has dropped significantly, in fact, at a wine tasting the now sell 35-45$ bottles of wine (ships price) at $7 per glass in an amount that will give you 10 glasses per bottle. And that in an event that has turned from a pleasurable learning experiment to one big infomercial.

I won't sail any HAL ship other than Prinsendam. It costs a LOT more than the other HAL ships, but the service and food is very close to REGENT, if not better.. In fact, I was quite critical of our cruise last year on Navigator, comparing it to Prinsendam. We will sail Regent again in the future, but we also look at itineraries. Have you sailed Maasdam or Ryndam? They are supposed to be better than the rest of the fleet.

I won't sail any HAL ship other than Prinsendam. It costs a LOT more than the other HAL ships, but the service and food is very close to REGENT, if not better.. In fact, I was quite critical of our cruise last year on Navigator, comparing it to Prinsendam. We will sail Regent again in the future, but we also look at itineraries. Have you sailed Maasdam or Ryndam? They are supposed to be better than the rest of the fleet.

We've only sailed the Eurodam, Zuiderdam, Noordam and Westerdam, so only the bigger ships. After an not so succesful sidestep to the NCL Jade we chose to sail only with HAL, and being Dutch, it's sort of a natural preference. Itinerary and length of the cruise have always been our drivers to pick a cruise. 7-10 days are usually the most we can affort timewise as I must have a few days between sailing and flying, both before and after the cruise. If I don't do that, I feel rushed, something I don't want on vacation. And....my wife wants to shop in the US so....

As the Maasdam and Ryndam usually have 14 day schedules, we have not been on them yet.

In the past money would be the limiting factor and I had more time available, now this somehow has turned around :)

But reading more on this forum, it sound that the Prinsendam is a class of it's own within the HAL fleet. It may therefore be something to consider.

For the big ships, they just don't seem to appeal to us anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, if you sail in SA or S class cabin in HAL (access to Neptune lounge, etc), don't you end up paying about the same or more than sailing with Regent by the time you add drinks, gratuities, tours, etc?

It makes no sense to me to pay for a penthouse in Hal and then pay for all the extras, when you can get a F, D, or E cabin in Regent which is just as big as S cabins in HAL (I think). There is a big difference between sailing with over 1500 people and 700. We sailed in HAL once and probably will never try it again. We had a balcony B something cabin which was pretty small. While the crew was nice the food was mediocre. I didn't enjoy going to breakfast and lunch looking for a table they had to clean up and didn't have tablecloth, etc.

Call me a snob but I enjoy those little touches with Regent. Once we tried Regent we have never looked back. I just hope Regent does not keep on increasing rates so much it will make it prohibitive to sail with them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, if you sail in SA or S class cabin in HAL (access to Neptune lounge, etc), don't you end up paying about the same or more than sailing with Regent by the time you add drinks, gratuities, tours, etc?

It makes no sense to me to pay for a penthouse in Hal and then pay for all the extras, when you can get a F, D, or E cabin in Regent which is just as big as S cabins in HAL (I think). There is a big difference between sailing with over 1500 people and 700. We sailed in HAL once and probably will never try it again. We had a balcony B something cabin which was pretty small. While the crew was nice the food was mediocre. I didn't enjoy going to breakfast and lunch looking for a table they had to clean up and didn't have tablecloth, etc.

Call me a snob but I enjoy those little touches with Regent. Once we tried Regent we have never looked back. I just hope Regent does not keep on increasing rates so much it will make it prohibitive to sail with them.

After reading your post I had to look up "Neptune lounge" on HAL. As expected, only passengers in certain levels of cabins can visit the lounge. No one could call you (or I) a snob for sailing Regent. IMO, people who sail on ships that have cabins with limited access are more in the "snob" category.

As you mentioned, HAL customers that sail in these cabins could sail Regent in the lower categories for just about the same price. The big difference is that they are allowed anywhere on the ship since once you walk out of your cabin, no one knows (or cares) what level suite you are in.

On the other hand, if you enjoy larger ships, signing for things, paying for specialty restaurants and having the opportunity to feel superior to others on board, luxury cruising may not be the right choice. Sorry for the sarcasm -- sometimes I just can't help it:o

And that's why we are booked on the Navigator for March. Adding everything up, it came to about the same price. Actually, we booked a PH C to see what the butler is like.

Looking forward to it very much.

What you do need to realize is that the SA suites on HAL are significantly bigger then e.g. the PH C on Navigator that we are getting. So, there will be less cabin space for the same amount.

Edited by jongbj

jongbj, For what it's worth, we too have sailed with HAL and were in a SA suite. While the suite was very large, the furniture, especially the couch, were really uncomfortable, in my opinion. I also much prefer the closet space on the Navigator, and the suite itself is very comfortable, and the balcony is adequate. Yes, the balcony on HAL was large, but we weren't able to use it very much because of smokers next door. I also liked the bathroom on the Navigator much better.

And, there's the small size of the Navigator--much more enjoyable as far as getting to know the staff and fellow passengers. Once we sailed on Regent, we never looked back. Enjoy!

i completely agree with you observation on the couch. Very uncomfortable. We do you our balcony quite a lot so we will see how we like the smaller balcony. Looking at the room plan, it looks like the Regent suite is designed somewhat smarter with better use of the available space.

We did hesitate a bit since the Navigator is about 1/4 in size compared to the HAL ships we were on. That would suggest a lot less public space. Thankfully we read some reviews that state that it is never crowded on a Regent ship

We are looking forward to it very much.

You will also love not having to sign anything when you order that exotic drink!:)

We are looking forward to that. And not having to check the onboard account every week or so. We were wondering what to do with the OBC we got through Amex. But then again, my wife is coming too, she'll find a way to spend it. :)

Jongbj - Yes, there will be "a lot less public space" onboard a Regent ship, but......there will also be a lot less of "the public" (passengers) on a Regent ship that you'll have to share the available space with.

On Navigator (and Voyager) , there have often been times when I'd be the only person sitting at a bar and would welcome the company (other than the bar tender's) of someone walking up and sitting down next to me for a chat.

There were afternoons when the pool deck would be almost vacant, except for me and a few wait staff. I began wondering if everyone else had left me as the only passenger onboard!

At 10pm-11pm at night, my wife and I would walk up onto the top deck (the jogging track) to just watch the stars, or the passing coast, and would realize that all the other "inmates" had all turned in for the night. We had the entire weatherdeck to ourselves - we would then wander on down to one of the still open lounges (which were nearly always completely empty) for a "nightcap".

It's absolutely wonderful! After our Regent experience/s, I couldn't possibly imagine now going on a cruise on one of the "floating cities" (Oasis, etc.), with 2,000 - 4,000 other passengers onboard. Best Regards

Jongbj - I might also add (as an afterthought) that the "luxury experience" of Regent (which you'll read many of us talking about here) is not limited to just the tangible or quantifiable items (drinks included, no upcharges for "special dining rooms or menus, included excursions, linen in all the dining venues, etc.).

The intangibles are also a big part of the whole Regent experience, and I truly hope they never go away. The friendliness of the staff, the larger staterooms, the feeling of privacy (or a small town community) even when sitting in a public venue like the Observation Lounge, or the Pool Bar, or CR at dinner time, or (dare I mention it :eek:) the Connoisseur Club for a quiet after-dinner drink and a good cigar with a friend.

There are many quiet and uncrowded corners tucked away on the Regent ships, despite their relative small size (compared to other cruiselines). Enjoy!

Despite navigator being a much smaller ship, there are lots of little nooks and crannies where you can hide out. No worries there. And I too have often been the only person in the bar, or early in the morning, in the coffee bar,

Thank you all for the information on the public spaces. It's nice to know that it is not crowded at all. Just booked Prime7 today for our first sea day.

My wife is constantly searching for Youtube movies on the Navigator. Really fun to watch. We can't wait for March :)

@forevertravel: Your comparison with Regent and a B-balcony on HAL is not very fair. The HAL room is significantly less expensive. If you would have booked an SA you probably would have a somewhat (I am not saying large) different experience. E.g. we always took breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, never the buffet, so never a problem with looking for a table.

Edited by jongbj

• 3 weeks later...
After reading your post I had to look up "Neptune lounge" on HAL. As expected, only passengers in certain levels of cabins can visit the lounge. No one could call you (or I) a snob for sailing Regent. IMO, people who sail on ships that have cabins with limited access are more in the "snob" category.

As you mentioned, HAL customers that sail in these cabins could sail Regent in the lower categories for just about the same price. The big difference is that they are allowed anywhere on the ship since once you walk out of your cabin, no one knows (or cares) what level suite you are in.

On the other hand, if you enjoy larger ships, signing for things, paying for specialty restaurants and having the opportunity to feel superior to others on board, luxury cruising may not be the right choice. Sorry for the sarcasm -- sometimes I just can't help it:o

:confused: I know that Riviera and Marina are not Regent but still I wonder about their Executive lounges with their exclusivity...??? Then too, on Regent, your key card shows your Seven Seas level and suite level, at least if you are in the uppermost 3 levels of suites. Your continuing rant on class systems is a bit much... IMHO.... Edited by AWED23

:confused: I know that Riviera and Marina are not Regent but still I wonder about their Executive lounges with their exclusivity...??? Then too, on Regent, your key card shows your Seven Seas level and suite level, at least if you are in the uppermost 3 levels of suites. Your continuing rant on class systems is a bit much... IMHO....

I don't get your point. On our last Voyager cruise we were in a Grande Suite. Very large and very nice. NO one on the ship knew that we were in that suite except some friends we met on the cruise --and they told us their suites as well, all in that category or above.

Frankly I find it creepy that you go around asking to see fellow cruisers' key cards. I have found no class system at all on Regent, and yes we we are forced to do a HAL cruise for one reason or another, we DO get a suite with access to the Neptune lounge. It saves standing in line for ordinary shipboard services.

I don't get your point. On our last Voyager cruise we were in a Grande Suite. Very large and very nice. NO one on the ship knew that we were in that suite except some friends we met on the cruise --and they told us their suites as well, all in that category or above.

Frankly I find it creepy that you go around asking to see fellow cruisers' key cards. I have found no class system at all on Regent, and yes we we are forced to do a HAL cruise for one reason or another, we DO get a suite with access to the Neptune lounge. It saves standing in line for ordinary shipboard services.

fIRST, First, I do not go around asking to see others' key cards as I do not care where a person books on board. I, like you, do not find a "Class system" on board Regent's ships. I never felt there was a class system aboard Holland America either. We have way over 500 days on HAL. If you read my reply to anothers post again with an open mind you might see that I was replying to a person who can not let go of the idea that HAL employs a class system. That same person gives very high marks to Oceania's Riviera even though they have not one but two exclusive lounges. As for the key cards, it is printed on the key card for anyone to see; but I suppose it is meant for staff to notice; that a person has "Platinum" status. I was told by the future cruise booker that he could tell that I was in a "Marina Suite" by my key card...We prefer Regent to all other lines because of space per passenger, very superior service, excellent food service, general over all ambiance and the passenger demographic. We find Oceania to be our best alternative to Regent but it does not have the same passenger count or the same amenities. I hope this clears up the meaning of my reply post. :)....P.S. We left HAL due to an over all lowering of the quality of their product after Kurt Lanterman retired and was replaced.

You are so right. However if some creepy person wanted to see my card (looking at it now) they would only know that I am platinum level, where my muster station is and the dates of our cruise. I rarely discuss our suite (we have stayed in all sizes). I have discussed our current suite because it is so aft ... and on the Voyager

Staff can definitely tell what suite category you are in on Oceania. I do wonder why this is necessary. IMO when your card is swiped, the computer knows who you are and your state room number. There is no reason for others to know.

I am a bit confused. Thought this was a Navigator thread. My only comment on the Navigator would be that I am not a fan:o

You are so right. However if some creepy person wanted to see my card (looking at it now) they would only know that I am platinum level, where my muster station is and the dates of our cruise. I rarely discuss our suite (we have stayed in all sizes). I have discussed our current suite because it is so aft ... and on the Voyager

Staff can definitely tell what suite category you are in on Oceania. I do wonder why this is necessary. IMO when your card is swiped, the computer knows who you are and your state room number. There is no reason for others to know.

I am a bit confused. Thought this was a Navigator thread. My only comment on the Navigator would be that I am not a fan:o

:confused: You are the poster that brought up the subject of class system aboard HAL ships because of their Neptune Lounge for their "Suite" passengers. And snobbish was also used by you. I refer you to your post #32. As to cabin class being on your key card aboard Regent, if you were to read my post you would see that I said I was told this by the future cruise booker. It was on the Voyager last February/March....:(...Now I feel much better.:D

:confused: You are the poster that brought up the subject of class system aboard HAL ships because of their Neptune Lounge for their "Suite" passengers. And snobbish was also used by you. I refer you to your post #32. As to cabin class being on your key card aboard Regent, if you were to read my post you would see that I said I was told this by the future cruise booker. It was on the Voyager last February/March....:(...Now I feel much better.:D

I really am having difficulty knowing what you are talking about. So what if people who swipe the cards on Regent know your suite #? The only time your card is swiped is when you leave or return to the ship, purchase ultra premium wine or spirits (which we never do), book a cruise or purchase something at the Boutique. Again, NO ONE looking at your card can tell anything other than what I mentioned previously (which is 99% of the crew on board since our cards are not swiped). If you were told otherwise by the Cruise Consultant, I think that the Cruise Consultant should look at a passenger's key card!

Yes - I do think cruise ships that have areas that are only accessible to certain guests create a "snobbish" atmosphere. Have I ever said otherwise?

Have a Happy New Year and I truly hope that 2014 is a mellow and calm year for you. You have a lot of Regent experience to share with others. Perhaps if you simply shared your experience instead of picking apart posts, you would have a better time on Cruise Critic.

Edited by Travelcat2

:confused:Pot vs. Kettle etc., etc., etc...C'mon TC, can't we all just get along. So then, by your definition, Oceania's Riviera and Marina have a class system ? This because they each have two lounges for the exclusive use of passengers in certain more luxurious cabins???

One of the many reasons we prefer to sail with Regent is the LACK of "executive" facilities for "exclusive" passengers. I know some people just love to feel part of a chosen few but we find it divisive and unnecessary. It's one of the less attractive aspects of cruising - all lines - that this kind of snobbery often rears it's head, in some cases actively encouraged by the cruise lines.

As for the Navigator, we've sailed on her twice and would avoid doing so again unless the itinerary is extra special. The infamous vibration problem didn't trouble us but the lack of forward facing lounge, cramped public/dining spaces when it's busy and the ill-conceived Sette Mari (applies to all Regent ships) means we prefer to stick with Voyager or Mariner.

Why do you feel Sette Mari is "ill conceived?"

Certainly it wasn't explained properly to us but once we got it into our heads that it's both a buffet and an a la carte restaurant in the same space, we found it fine.

Not only that, it has the best table for two on Voyager.

Additionallythe food (especially the fish stew) is awesome other than the lasagne I was served one night which was nowhere near as good as I'd get in my favourite corner caff.

R

Edited by Swyre