Diamond Princess & Voyager of the Seas in Melbourne today - 05 Dec 2013

The Queen Mary 2 and Celebrity Solstice are both in Melbourne in March! I'm on the QM2 - I am thinking bedlam at around 3-4 when the schoolkids are coming home from school and everyone trying to get back to the shop for departure at 6pm. I have my myki loaded from other Melbourne land trips.

The current passenger load today is 6,400! Makes my trip seem almost quiet at 5,500. In July next year we are cruising from Venice - where 15,000 passengers are expected.

At the moment QM2 down to dock in Webb Dock on 12th March and not a Station Pier. This ino on Port of Melbourne site.My eticket from Cunard says dock to be advised later.

I embark in Adelaide so don't see the Melbourne info in detail. The international port schedule site says Port of Melbourne. Is Webb port the same? QM 2 normally docks at the current port. Where is Webb port? Does it handle immigration?

Ok. I've just found it. I really hope it isn't Webb Dock.

Edited by Pushka

Great pics. There is something so wonderful about being on a ship and seeing other passengers on another ship close by and waving. :)

I think it is wonderful having people waving and taking photos when ships pass each other. One of the best times to do this is when traversing the Panama canal with a fellow cruise ship in the lane next to yours. Just grand.:D

I embark in Adelaide so don't see the Melbourne info in detail. The international port schedule site says Port of Melbourne. Is Webb port the same? QM 2 normally docks at the current port. Where is Webb port? Does it handle immigration?

Ok. I've just found it. I really hope it isn't Webb Dock.

We board in Melbourne on 17th February and eticket says Station Pier.Disembark in Melbourne on 12th March and eticket says disembark details to be advised.Port of Melbourne site has Spirit of Tasmania and Celebrity Solstice docking at Station Pier and QM2 docking at Webb Dock.

Spirit berths in the closest berth, on the right side when facing towards the city. a6uva4yv.jpg

In this picture QM2 is furthest out on the left side and a Navy vessel is closest. On the right and closest is where the Spirit was berthed.

Edited by Pushka

We board in Melbourne on 17th February and eticket says Station Pier.Disembark in Melbourne on 12th March and eticket says disembark details to be advised.Port of Melbourne site has Spirit of Tasmania and Celebrity Solstice docking at Station Pier and QM2 docking at Webb Dock.

The Station pier can normally take the spirit and 3 cruise ships but perhaps with the Solstice and QM2 being so large there may not be room.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Great photo of these two behemoths together.

Don't you just love it when the cruise lines bring in a ship to berth right in the middle of a city's peakhour and then phone the cab company and say we want 500 taxis to the pier please as if taxis are just sitting around in peakhour with no work to do.

The trick for Melbourne is to get off the ship and walk down the street past the trams terminus until you reach the next stop. Then you get on the tram heading towards the ship where hundreds will be waiting to board but you'll already have a seat and you just wait a few minutes whilst the driver changes ends to head to the city.

Great photo of these two behemoths together.

Don't you just love it when the cruise lines bring in a ship to berth right in the middle of a city's peakhour and then phone the cab company and say we want 500 taxis to the pier please as if taxis are just sitting around in peakhour with no work to do.

The trick for Melbourne is to get off the ship and walk down the street past the trams terminus until you reach the next stop. Then you get on the tram heading towards the ship where hundreds will be waiting to board but you'll already have a seat and you just wait a few minutes whilst the driver changes ends to head to the city.

Thanks for the advice, a great tip:D

Except now everyone on CC will know as well.:eek:

Voagher is still there was meant to leave at 5pm. Maybe too windy.

I was on the Voyager. We were suppose to leave at 6pm but due to strong winds the ship didn't leave until 11pm. We got off the ship at 9am. The crowd wasn't too bad. But coming back to the ship at 3.30pm was bedlam.....and the weather didn't help. We took the 109 tram back and it was packed!

[quote name='Sydney32203']I was on the Voyager. We were suppose to leave at 6pm but due to strong winds the ship didn't leave until 11pm. We got off the ship at 9am. The crowd wasn't too bad. But coming back to the ship at 3.30pm was bedlam.....and the weather didn't help. We took the 109 tram back and it was packed![/QUOTE]

That is a shame with everyone rushing back so that they can hang around in port for another 5 hours. Better safe than sorry anyway. Enjoy the cruise.:D