Internet prices on Princess?

PattyPsch

Best to pre buy a package of minutes as they will give you a bonus. You can find the exact packages offered on their web page under the gifts and servises section. Pay by the minute is about 75 cents/min. You can buy packages after you board as well. Has always worked well from our aft stateroom but for some reason there are times it will only work on the balcony. It is brutally slow! Your minutes disappear at a very fast rate just doing e mails. Forget skype or anything like that. The speed is around the old 14.5 dialup rate.

It's a better deal if you pre-purchase an Internet package as you get extra bonus minutes. This link gives you the packages and costs: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

The Internet at sea has limited bandwidth so how fast or slow depends on how many other people are using it at the same time. When there are a lot of people online or a few are Skyping or uploading/downloading photos, it'll be very slow or you'll get time outs. It also depends on where the ship is sailing in relation to the satellite coverage area.

Using a text-based email service; being able to download email, sign off, read/respond offline and re-sign on can save you a significant amount of time. Using the Internet early in the morning, during dinnertime or very late at night can also help as speeds are usually much faster then.

No matter what, the Internet is not nearly as fast as on land but as I've said, you can control your experience. All Princess cabins have WiFi. Speed and connection can be improved by opening the cabin door.

It's a better deal if you pre-purchase an Internet package as you get extra bonus minutes. This link gives you the packages and costs: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

The Internet at sea has limited bandwidth so how fast or slow depends on how many other people are using it at the same time. When there are a lot of people online or a few are Skyping or uploading/downloading photos, it'll be very slow or you'll get time outs. It also depends on where the ship is sailing in relation to the satellite coverage area.

Using a text-based email service; being able to download email, sign off, read/respond offline and re-sign on can save you a significant amount of time. Using the Internet early in the morning, during dinnertime or very late at night can also help as speeds are usually much faster then.

No matter what, the Internet is not nearly as fast as on land but as I've said, you can control your experience. All Princess cabins have WiFi. Speed and connection can be improved by opening the cabin door.

Are the prices any cheaper if you use the internet cafe vs WIFI from your room?

Are the prices any cheaper if you use the internet cafe vs WIFI from your room?

No, the price is the same for the internet cafe and wifi on your own device. I find I can save minutes using my own device. I read and write emails off line and only connect to send.

On Celebrity my husband and I had to purchase 2 seperate plans--We both need about 1 hour max per day for emails and work related things. On Princess can we purchase 1 plan and share it- where we can use our devises at the same time? Anita

OK. and now I know to purchase two seperate packages...Thanks, Anita
If you don't have to be online at the same time or you can download email and go offline to read and respond while the other is online, it's cheaper to purchase a larger package to share.

Like any Username and PW system, only one person/computer can be logged into the Internet account at a time.

I've been on several cruises lately, Diamond in South East Asia, Golden to Hawaii, Sapphire to South Pacific. Happily I was Platinum (now Elite) so wife and I got 500 minutes each. Yes, at times it is very slow. I am an early riser and do my 'on-line' work as soon as I get up.

In the cabin C200, C740, B300 categories with balconies....I have generally been able to connect. On rare occasion there has been difficulty and then when attempting during midday.

A suggestion....I bring a multi-tap outlet that plugs into the desk outlet and then it is much easier to plug in other things like camera battery chargers, wife's hair curler, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Can one order the internet package before the cruise on the personalizer?

Not on the personalizer, but you can read about it on the Princess web site (down right now, so I can't give you the exact link) and then call Princess to order.

We will be on a 4 day Ruby cruise-then a 5 day one. If I pre-purchase an internet pkg prior to leaving (as I've done in the past), and I don't use all the minutes during the 4 day cruise, will I be able to 'carryover' the minutes/package to the 2nd cruise?

I hesitate to pre-purchase if I can't because, while I may not use it all in the 1st 4 day trip - I would most likely use it all by the end of the 5 day cruise.

We will be on a 4 day Ruby cruise-then a 5 day one. If I pre-purchase an internet pkg prior to leaving (as I've done in the past), and I don't use all the minutes during the 4 day cruise, will I be able to 'carryover' the minutes/package to the 2nd cruise?

I hesitate to pre-purchase if I can't because, while I may not use it all in the 1st 4 day trip - I would most likely use it all by the end of the 5 day cruise.

And my answer is "yes." Your minutes are good until you leave the ship.

However, it will not happen automatically. Be sure to speak with the Internet Cafe manager before the end of the first segment so that the carryover can be arranged.

(Note: Those with free minutes from being platinium or elite usually cannot carry the unused minutes over to the next segment. I say "usually" because some have reported the Internet manager was willing to arrange it.)

Try typing "internet prices princess cruises" into Google and clicking on the first hit to get your answer.

DON

On my Black Sea cruise, I used very little internet even though I had my laptop and smartphone with me. T-mobile's new international plan has it covered for most European ports and also there seems to be coverage in some offshore areas. That way you can use your smartphone ashore to guide you back to the ship with Google maps ...