LIVE from Grandeur of the Seas 12.6&12.14 Back to Back with pictures!!

bradpole

We will be joining you on the 14th. Looking forward to your posts and pictures. We sailed on Grandeur before the stretch and loved it. Looking forward to seeing the changes!! Love the port of Baltimore too! Enjoy and thanks for posting!:):):)

Hello everyone!

Just a quick post....

We made it onboard and have lunch, just people watching in the centrum until the cabins are ready to drop our carry on luggage off.

I've added a couple of pics, as well as tonight's menu in the day one gallery

http://www.polerez.com/cruisephotos/index.php/Grandeur-of-the-Seas-12-2013

More to come later....

I think we're finally packed! Of course I'm sure I'll stuff a few more things in before the cases are loaded into the truck for the drive to Baltimore.

I know (or hope) we've massively overpacked, but 5 HEAVY cases for two people (plus carry ons) I don't think is too bad for 18 nights

vi-Gallery%20Image-1688071919.jpeg?m=1386297254

We're not flying, so why not bring along too much!?!

Nothing better than driving to port, so much less packing Stress.

I'm jealous! Nothing better than Christmas and News Years than combining both holidays with a cruise! We did that in 2007 on Explorer, it was wonderful!

Yes. Thank you. We've done New Year's before but this will be nice with both Christmas and New Year's on board. Doing an 18 day B2B is pretty awesome too! Have a great time!

Brad, could you please add Compass shots to your album? While our sailing on Grandeur is a ways out, we'd like to keep tabs on what the special nights might be (70's/80's/white party, etc). We are driving vs flying and packing isn't an issue like it is if we'd fly

GRAM23 Just a FYI THE grandeur was not stretched . Enchantment was the only Vision class that had the stretch. It had a recent dry dock update and is in great shape we were just on the 11/8 cruise and really enjoyed it but don'texpect it to be larger than your last cruise.

Hi Bradpole! Hope you & your mom have a wonderful cruise! Would love to get your views on Grandeur. We were on Enchantment last year & were not happy with the crowds in the WJ, MDR, & the theater. Hope this is not the case with Grandeur since she was not stretched. Since Explorer is leaving NJ next year & we seriously doubt we will go on Quantum for quite awhile, Grandeur would be a nice choice. Especially since Baltimore is a great port for embarkation! We will be on Explorer next week, so will catch up on your review when we get back.

LOL! I'll be coming along in more ways than one ... I'm packing for the 12/14 cruise already. I'll see you on board!

Looking forward to "joining" you vicariously for the first leg of your trip.

YAY! You're finally going on your long-delayed cruise!

We too are sailing with you on the 14th, I can't wait!

We've never been on the Grandeur before, but we've sailed on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. We really love this port, easy for us to drive to and they're always so fast and efficient there.

SO looking forward to this cruise! :D

You need to join our Meet and Mingle...go to the roll call section:)

Hello everyone!

Good morning from the beautiful Grandeur of the Seas. I write to you from my "office" up in the Viking Crown Lounge (VCL) perhaps my favorite spot on any RCCL ship. I do have to say the renovations the VCL are very nice. The Concierge Lounge does take over the port start of the room but the rest of the room is very nicely furnished! Weather today is bright and sunny, but WINDY! Deck 10 is closed off, and the starboard side of deck 5 is closed due to the wind. We have a slight sea, just enough to remind us we are on a ship. There are a few people who look a little sea sick, but overall the motion is very minor.

So a recap of yesterday.... (It is amazing how busy you get doing "nothing" on vacation!)

We left my house in Wilmington, DE an little after 8, and just over a hour later we arrived at the port. We've left from a number of ports and Every time we come to Baltimore we are amazed at just how smooth things run. You pull in the lot, the ask u if u need luggage tags. If you do you are directed to a tent where they fill them out for you. Otherwise you are then directed to the parking line. After a short wait the boarding process started. Each car pulls around and pulls up next to a luggage cart where the porters take your luggage, you then pull forward to the pay tent where you pay the $15 per night. NOTE: as we are doing a B2B we informed the lady and she gave us a green hang tag (I believer everyone gets one) but instructed us to hang ours with a note she wrote on the back, "PAID 18 nights on 12/6" with her name. We then parked my truck and walked into the terminal. The security line was short and we were quickly x-rayed (no issue with our bottles of wine) and we then checked in. A little before 11 they then began the boarding process (suites, pinnacles, D+, etc..). One nice thing they offer is a chance to easily skip the embarkation photo! (I have photos of the port I'll post later)

This is where things went a little "wonky" then quickly got a bit ugly.

As is customary for most people when they board a ship we went directly to the Windjammer for lunch. But it wasn't open yet, no problem. We grabbed a seat in the sheltered area on deck 9. The windjammer was supposed to open at 11:30. That time comes and goes, 11:40 comes and goes, 11:55 the doors open... STAMPEDE! Needless to say the windjammer was COMPLETE CHAOS! People grabbing plates, grabbing food, pushing, shoving, We made a small salad and QUICKLY escaped the chaos! Personally I think the issue could have been avoided if they just kept us in the terminal until the windjammer was open and ready! Perhaps if it was a warmer day people would have chilled in the pool or sat and enjoyed the sun. Not so yesterday on wet miserable day! Oh well, thankfully that mess is over and hopefully it will never be repeated! It was truly disgusting watching the behavior of some of the other guests!

Muster drill was 3:15 and they are now using the new Electronic Mustering. As you arrive at your station sea pass is scanned and you are recorded as in attendance. (when they scan your card your picture even shows up on the device). Speaking of pictures, your picture in Baltimore is now taken during the initial check in process via a USB camera. No more stopping at security and having them take your picture as you are boarding. ... Back to Muster... It took a bit longer than it should have it seemed there were a couple of people who didn't understand "Mandatory" applied to them.

Our cabin, we are in an interior on deck 3 and I have to say the renovations are very nice. The new carpets, upholstery, and especially the newly installed bathroom! There are several small shelfs as well as a little drawer! Our only complaint about the new bathroom is the sink. Yes, it does look lovely, VERY nice. But it is not very practical, it has to be a nightmare to clean behind and there is very little room to wash your hands under the faucet. oh well!

After sail away we made our way up to the Concierge Lounge for a few adult beverages before our second sitting at 8pm. Although the weather was still wet and foggy the VCL provided a great vantage point to watch just how tight the fit is for Grandeur to fit under the Key Bridge!

What happened next was very interesting, there was a rep from Chops Grille up in the lounge trying to sell dining packages. I assumed he was trying to sell the "Chefs table" package which we have no interest in as we've already pre booked Chops and Giovannis Table for later in the week and don't want Izumi or the Chef's Table. But he wasn't pushing that package! He offered us for a flat fee of $100 per person dinner at a specialty restaurant EVERY NIGHT OF THIS CRUISE! YES.. .you read that correct! We already spent $50 per person for 1 night at chops and Giovanni's...why wouldn't we accept! The package was called, "All Access Tour!" so last night we dined in Giovanni's (WONDERFUL!) and tonight we'll be in Chops, and tomorrow we'll be in Giovanni's. Will we get sick of the pay restaurants... possibly, but we'll get our money's worth! (I've posted a couple of pics from the last night in the day 1 gallery).

So overall a BUSY first day!

Welcome to day 2, our sea day.

Highlights for today include a cooking demonstration in the centrum, a couple of movies on the big screen (Grown Ups 2, JOBS, and Oblivion) and "Headliner Showtime" of the comedy of Carl Banks at 8:30 and 10:15... YAH FINALLY a late show! (I understand there needs to be a balance between late and early shows, but historically it seems there are very few late shows).

That's all for now!

OMG ... long time - no chat.

How was your replacement cruise?

PERFECT! Now we love the Grandeur so much that we are back onboard on Jan.3 Hoping the weather doesn't make it too different from the last cruise.

Enjoy yours!

:confused:

GRAM23 Just a FYI THE grandeur was not stretched . Enchantment was the only Vision class that had the stretch. It had a recent dry dock update and is in great shape we were just on the 11/8 cruise and really enjoyed it but don'texpect it to be larger than your last cruise.

I guess I misused the term "stretched". I look forward to seeing her after the update!!

Hello everyone!!

Hello from hot and sunny Port Canaveral! Better than the snow back home.

We are docked with Carnival Sensation, Disney Dream, and Freedom of the Seas... Busy day on port today

A full post is to come, I've been having some personal technology issues which have been a little frustrating.. Oh well

To the poster who asked about the windjammer and theater crowding, before I answer I want to wait a few more days to get a better idea if there is an issue. So far compared to enchantment the crowding issue is nowhere near as bad as enchantment