Cruising vs all-inclusive resort-Senior vacation with daughter & grandkids

Mom2008

Hi everyone:

I'm starting a new thread. I had a great discussion on another board soliciting information on an eastern Europe cruise, but after careful consideration, and a change in the amount of money available for the trip, decided to forego a European trip in favour of a trip to some place warm during spring break, last two weeks of March.

Summary of my parameters: My 84 year old Dad has offered to take our family on a cruise, and the maximum total cost per person has to be under $2,000, including airfare, cancellation insurance, taxes, tips, transfers, everything. Though we can contribute to anything unexpected that takes us over, we'd like to stay within that range. There will be seven of us travelling: 84 year old dad, myself and my husband (early 50's), our 19 yo daughter, her boyfriend, 16 year old son and 12 year old daughter (ages at time of travel).

We live in Vancouver, Dad lives in Winnipeg, daughter and boyfriend are in Calgary. Dad likes the idea of cruising, but when I mentioned the possibility of an all-inclusive resort, or a land-based vacation, he was happy with that too. March will be a time when we'd all like to be some place warm. We've all cruised before, and the part we like is that we can unpack our bags and stay in one place, and have all the food prepared and available, no decisions about which restaurant, what to order based on cost, it's all included and you can eat as much as you want (kids especially like that part). We all like swimming too.

My Dad recently had his second knee surgery, but he still moves slowly, he can walk for maximum 20 minutes at a time, he can do it without a walker, but prefers to have it "just in case".

So I'm looking for feedback, obviously about cruises, since this is a cruise board, but if this isn't blasphemy, I'd like info about any trips seniors have taken with family, and which is more relaxing. We like the idea of Hawaii, which is about a six hour flight from Vancouver, but Bahamas or Caribbean would be shorter for Dad to get to. Mexico could work too. I just don't know where to start.

Thanks.

I see that the granddaughter is 19 and cruising with her boyfriend. Not sure of his age but most cruiselines insist that someone in the cabin be 25 if there are under 21 yr old people in the cabin. There are ways around this if they wish to share. You just have to get creative in who is booked in which cabin and then sort it out when you get onboard the way you really want it. Stateroom accounts can get messed up though as all billings will be made to the room the cruise line thinks a person is in as opposed to the one they are actually inhabiting. Secondly I she she is from Alberta and of legal drinking age here. On the ship it's 21 unless cruising in Europe where it is lower. Her dad may be able to sign a waiver and she will be allowed beer and wine, again depending on the cruise line. If she doesn't drink then this isn't an issue. Ships have a lot of up and down travel. Yes there are elevators but depending on where your cabin is substantial walking may be required. This is a potential issue for your mobility impared guest.

Our family does an AI every year and the wife and I also cruise. If cost is a factor then an AI is going to be cheaper in the long run. The AI also has the benefit of allowing all to do as they please and not being confined to the ship where quite frankly there isn't a lot for underage older teen to do. Most cruise lines don't cater well to this age group. Great for over 21 and great programs for the younger ones.

I would recommend checking out the policies of the cruise lines you are looking at with respect to ages of people allowed in cabins before you decide which way to go.

The wife and I are die hard cruisers but it might not work all that well for your age mix

I see that the granddaughter is 19 and cruising with her boyfriend. Not sure of his age but most cruiselines insist that someone in the cabin be 25 if there are under 21 yr old people in the cabin. There are ways around this if they wish to share. You just have to get creative in who is booked in which cabin and then sort it out when you get onboard the way you really want it. Stateroom accounts can get messed up though as all billings will be made to the room the cruise line thinks a person is in as opposed to the one they are actually inhabiting. Secondly I she she is from Alberta and of legal drinking age here. On the ship it's 21 unless cruising in Europe where it is lower. Her dad may be able to sign a waiver and she will be allowed beer and wine, again depending on the cruise line. If she doesn't drink then this isn't an issue. Ships have a lot of up and down travel. Yes there are elevators but depending on where your cabin is substantial walking may be required. This is a potential issue for your mobility impared guest.

Our family does an AI every year and the wife and I also cruise. If cost is a factor then an AI is going to be cheaper in the long run. The AI also has the benefit of allowing all to do as they please and not being confined to the ship where quite frankly there isn't a lot for underage older teen to do. Most cruise lines don't cater well to this age group. Great for over 21 and great programs for the younger ones.

I would recommend checking out the policies of the cruise lines you are looking at with respect to ages of people allowed in cabins before you decide which way to go.

The wife and I are die hard cruisers but it might not work all that well for your age mix

Thank you Gunner. BF is 26, so luckily that's not a problem, but I didn't know about needing someone over 25 to be responsible for a cabin. But the drinking, yeah, something to think about, she does like to drink, and is responsible when she's with BF.

One cruise we are considering is a repositioning cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver, so only one-way airfare, but there's five days in a row at sea, could get stir crazy. AI has the advantage of being able to go where they please when they please. Or we could just plan a land trip, rent a condo or airbnb and find someone to hire to cook/clean. It has to be a vacation after all.

We're back to planning a cruise vacation. BF is not coming now, and without his extra help, the land-based vacation just became too challenging.

We're looking at Caribbean/Bahamas, 7-day cruise last two weeks of March.

Thanks.

I would look at the sell off to keep you in your budget

Any cruise for Florida would work for you

NCL. RCL or Carnival would cater to the young people more

How about cruises from California to Mexico it would be shorter flights

Good luck

Edited by LHT28

I would look at the sell off to keep you in your budget

Any cruise for Florida would work for you

NCL. RCL or Carnival would cater to the young people more

How about cruises from California to Mexico it would be shorter flights

Good luck

It would be shorter for us, but longer for my Dad, who's flying from Winnipeg. Plus, we've already been on a Pacific-side Mexican cruise via San Diego.

Trying to find a balance between doing too much research, and trying to find the best cruise, cruise line, ship, ports etc., that I should just bite the bullet. I give myself another week or so and just make the final decision.

Thanks.

I think just pick one that fits your budget the longer you wait the more expensive the airfare gets

March is prime time

Do you have a TA that could help you decide ?

Look at air prices then you will see what is left in the allowable budget for the cruise

Do not forget to add the gratuities, taxes etc..to the cruise fare

At the top of the page there is a link find a cruise

you could narrow it down a bit

Good luck

• 2 months later...

I realize I haven't posted an update. We sail out of Miami on March 16 on the Norwegian Epic for a 7 day western Caribbean cruise. We are all very excited. I have managed to come in under budget. One day in Miami before and after the cruise, all airfare, hotels, my Dad's insurance, excursions and extras. We'll see after we get back if we manage to stick to it. It's just the six of us travelling. I have another question I want to post but I'll start a separate thread.

One thing we are doing is in Ocho Rios, we hired a private driver, $25/pp for the whole time we're in port, and he'll drive us wherever we want. The review said he didn't take you to places to spend money.

Then, in Cozumel we are doing a Mayan sweatlodge. I asked about my Dad, since he's 84, and he will do a modified version, and come out of the sweatlodge earlier, and can hang out on the hammock. My Dad is excited to try this. It is called Temazca Cozumel.$80pp for a 4.5 hour experience. I've read rave reviews.

In Costa Maya, we will take a short cab ride to a more quiet beach, and just hang out for the day while the kids play in the water and have a few drinks and snacks.

In every case, if Dad is tired, he can be taken back to the ship, and if he doesn't feel like coming ashore, he can stay on the ship.

The advantage of a cruise over an all-inclusive is that we get to see different ports and there's lots for the kids to do and lots of entertainment for the oldies (I count myself in there) in the evenings.

It has been a lot of work, but a lot of fun planning this trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just an update. I got back home about a week ago. I kept a journal, and have many photos of our trip. In retrospect, it was a very memorable and enjoyable vacation. Getting some sun at this time of year really made a difference, made us all happier.

Looking back, I can see that the cruise the way we planned it, with a seven-day sailing with three ports, was the right fit for our family. It's good that we were scheduled a day ahead instead of the day of, our plane was delayed 6.5 hours arriving in Miami, so we got to our hotel at 5am. If I had to do this again, I might have arranged for us to fly back right after the cruise. The last day was fun, but it might have been a bit much for my Dad.

There were many, many glitches along the way, but I chose to focus on and remember the wonderful experiences. We all talk about how we want to remember the good, and there was a lot of good. Nothing was really horrible, but just some less than stellar glitches.

There were many good memories on the cruise. We went to the free full-service restaurants for almost every meal, experienced some very high quality entertainment, and this meant a lot to my Dad (Blue Man Group, Legends in Concert, Second City Comedy). We are very glad we had balcony cabins (we are home bodies and actually spent a fair amount of time hanging out in our cabins or on our balconies), the kids enjoyed the slides and the dances, and we did a LOT of walking.

The ports were great. In Jamaica, the kids jumped off a rope swing into a river, then climbed through a waterfall. After a lunch of jerk chicken, we went to a beach where my Dad went into the ocean and floated in the water while I held him up. In Costa Maya, we took a cab to Mahahual and hung out on the beach where we tanned and drank sweet drinks out of coconuts while we sat under coconut trees, then swam in the turquoise water and got VERY tanned (ahem burned in my case), Dad mostly hung out in a lounge chair. And the very special part was that all six of us, including my Dad, were able to take part in a Mayan sweat lodge ceremony in Cozumel. The Temazcal was wonderful, and my Dad was able to do most of the sweat lodge, it was only because his legs were cramping that he had to come out after the third door. Petrus was a very good guide through the ceremony, he said my Dad was the third oldest person who had done the ceremony. If you can crawl through the opening (this was a bit hard for my Dad) and sit on the floor, Petrus will make sure you are OK during the ceremony.

We finished off with a day at the Hilton South Beach, which we were able to buy on Air Miles, a huge two bedroom apartment. We had to spend the day by the pool until the room was ready, and I think this was a little draining for my Dad, even though he was in the shade the whole time.

We all made it home in one piece, with many wonderful memories to keep us warm for the rest of the cold season, and some great pictures to keep the memories alive. Snowbanks were six feet high when I flew back to Winnipeg with my Dad.

At some point I may write up a comprehensive review, but for now, just wanted to let you all know we travelled, we had fun, we are all grateful for the wonderful gift my Dad has given us, and we are home, contented and safe. And we are glad that we cruised together.

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update. I got back home about a week ago. I kept a journal, and have many photos of our trip. In retrospect, it was a very memorable and enjoyable vacation. Getting some sun at this time of year really made a difference, made us all happier.

Looking back, I can see that the cruise the way we planned it, with a seven-day sailing with three ports, was the right fit for our family. It's good that we were scheduled a day ahead instead of the day of, our plane was delayed 6.5 hours arriving in Miami, so we got to our hotel at 5am. If I had to do this again, I might have arranged for us to fly back right after the cruise. The last day was fun, but it might have been a bit much for my Dad.

There were many, many glitches along the way, but I chose to focus on and remember the wonderful experiences. We all talk about how we want to remember the good, and there was a lot of good. Nothing was really horrible, but just some less than stellar glitches.

There were many good memories on the cruise. We went to the free full-service restaurants for almost every meal, experienced some very high quality entertainment, and this meant a lot to my Dad (Blue Man Group, Legends in Concert, Second City Comedy). We are very glad we had balcony cabins (we are home bodies and actually spent a fair amount of time hanging out in our cabins or on our balconies), the kids enjoyed the slides and the dances, and we did a LOT of walking.

The ports were great. In Jamaica, the kids jumped off a rope swing into a river, then climbed through a waterfall. After a lunch of jerk chicken, we went to a beach where my Dad went into the ocean and floated in the water while I held him up. In Costa Maya, we took a cab to Mahahual and hung out on the beach where we tanned and drank sweet drinks out of coconuts while we sat under coconut trees, then swam in the turquoise water and got VERY tanned (ahem burned in my case), Dad mostly hung out in a lounge chair. And the very special part was that all six of us, including my Dad, were able to take part in a Mayan sweat lodge ceremony in Cozumel. The Temazcal was wonderful, and my Dad was able to do most of the sweat lodge, it was only because his legs were cramping that he had to come out after the third door. Petrus was a very good guide through the ceremony, he said my Dad was the third oldest person who had done the ceremony. If you can crawl through the opening (this was a bit hard for my Dad) and sit on the floor, Petrus will make sure you are OK during the ceremony.

We finished off with a day at the Hilton South Beach, which we were able to buy on Air Miles, a huge two bedroom apartment. We had to spend the day by the pool until the room was ready, and I think this was a little draining for my Dad, even though he was in the shade the whole time.

We all made it home in one piece, with many wonderful memories to keep us warm for the rest of the cold season, and some great pictures to keep the memories alive. Snowbanks were six feet high when I flew back to Winnipeg with my Dad.

At some point I may write up a comprehensive review, but for now, just wanted to let you all know we travelled, we had fun, we are all grateful for the wonderful gift my Dad has given us, and we are home, contented and safe. And we are glad that we cruised together.

You made the right decision!

A cruise beats a land based all inclusive package any day!

There is no better 'bang for your buck' then a cruise!

And whatever hangups you had on your cruise vacation the chance for hangups at an all inclusive resort would have been there too, if not more!