Tell us about Genoa

Antonintassie

Hi

We have been to Italy 3 times in recent years but never Genoa we are a couple with a teen son who enjoy food ,wine and sites .

Couple of questions

If we fly Dubai / Milan is rail a good option to Genoa ?

Hotels in Genoa where is a good location ?

Is Genoa a city where we can fill in two or three days ( wish we had more time )

We have only been on one cruise ( Royal Princess) and we have mixed feelings about the concept but want to give it another try with a non us based cruise line .

Kind Regards

Tony

Hi

We have been to Italy 3 times in recent years but never Genoa we are a couple with a teen son who enjoy food ,wine and sites .

Couple of questions

If we fly Dubai / Milan is rail a good option to Genoa ? its a good option. Trains are regular, relaible and cheap. Takes around 2 hours from Milano Stazione Centrale. Assume you're looking at flying in to Malpensa? Train from there to Centrale is around an hour! likewise the airport bus which terminates at the back door of the station. Tickets are cheaper if you prebook rather than buy on the day for the genoa trip. Check Trenitalia's website for timetables and prices

Hotels in Genoa where is a good location ? really depends on where you want to be and what you're going to do. I've stayed at the Bristol palace 4 or 5 times and I like its quirkiness and old world charm and antiques. It's in a nice central spot in an upmarket street and handy for walking around town. Last time I stayed at the Melia which was gorgeous but not such a handy location. A lot of people go for modern port hotels and if you were just staying one night, that would be practical but if you're staying several, you may want to be handy for the train station for taking a day trip to the surrounding area (say Portofino)

Is Genoa a city where we can fill in two or three days ( wish we had more time )

there is not mases to do. The old port (Porto antico) is certainly wotrth exploring. There is an enormous and quite famous aquarium there if you like that sort of thing. They have a little tourist train that runs around town from there showing the main sites. Lots of churches and some other interesting squares and galleried streets in the city centre. You'd see most in 2 days so may want to take a day out to the surrounding area.

We have only been on one cruise ( Royal Princess) and we have mixed feelings about the concept but want to give it another try with a non us based cruise line .this will certainly be different. As English speakers, you'll be in the minority. Expect a lot of Italians and Germans onboard and probably also /panfish and French. I like doing the med with MSC as you get the med vibe onboard as well as ashore

Kind Regards

Tony

See response above

Hi

Couple of questions

If we fly Dubai / Milan is rail a good option to Genoa ? its a good option. Trains are regular, relaible and cheap. Takes around 2 hours from Milano Stazione Centrale. Assume you're looking at flying in to Malpensa? Train from there to Centrale is around an hour! likewise the airport bus which terminates at the back door of the station. Tickets are cheaper if you prebook rather than buy on the day for the genoa trip. Check Trenitalia's website for timetables and prices

Hotels in Genoa where is a good location ? really depends on where you want to be and what you're going to do. I've stayed at the Bristol palace 4 or 5 times and I like its quirkiness and old world charm and antiques. It's in a nice central spot in an upmarket street and handy for walking around town. Last time I stayed at the Melia which was gorgeous but not such a handy location. A lot of people go for modern port hotels and if you were just staying one night, that would be practical but if you're staying several, you may want to be handy for the train station for taking a day trip to the surrounding area (say Portofino)

there is not mases to do. The old port (Porto antico) is certainly wotrth exploring. There is an enormous and quite famous aquarium there if you like that sort of thing. They have a little tourist train that runs around town from there showing the main sites. Lots of churches and some other interesting squares and galleried streets in the city centre. You'd see most in 2 days so may want to take a day out to the surrounding area.

We have only been on one cruise ( Royal Princess) and we have mixed feelings about the concept but want to give it another try with a non us based cruise line .this will certainly be different. As English speakers, you'll be in the minority. Expect a lot of Italians and Germans onboard and probably also /panfish and French. I like doing the med with MSC as you get the med vibe onboard as well as ashore

Kind Regards

Tony

See responses above

I agree with the above (except I think Amomondo meant Spanish instead of /panfish ;-) )

At Genoa, it's about a 20 minute walk from the train station to the pier, or you can take a taxi. The walk itself is quite easy, it's just the roads/paths aren't great and have lots of cobblestones and kerbs for luggage. Doable either way, but just mentioning in case it helps your preferences.

Hi

Couple of questions

We have only been on one cruise ( Royal Princess) and we have mixed feelings about the concept but want to give it another try with a non us based cruise line .

Kind Regards

Tony

Genoa is a very interesting place. It used to be one of the richest cities in Italy. You will see this on the number of palazzos when you are walking around.

It is quite easy to visit Genoa walking on your own. You can get a map at the tourist information center located on the street where the famous palazzo Rosso is (via Garibaldi). At this office you can also get some audio information to accompany on your walks.

Also at the Palazzo Rosso is a good cafe called M Cafe. It has a lovely garden (which is more or less inside the palazzo Rosso) and good meals for a reasonable price.

A good hotel is the Best Western City Hotel. It is well located in the City Centre. Trip advisor can give you other hotels according to your needs and budget.

You can travel from Genoa by train to other places quite easily. For example to the Cinque Terre area. But for the Cinque Terre you will need more than one day.

We're working on plans to use Genoa as the home port between and after two 7 day cruises to stay in two of the most beautiful places on the planet: Portofino and Santa Margherita Ligure. Both a short train ride from the Genoa port. We've considered buying a locker at the Genoa train station so the bulk of our luggage can stay in town while we tote carry-ons to the hotels. They're just going to be over nights probably, and will almost certainly be stressful. But I've found that an entire day's worth of stress is sometimes worth 90 minutes staring out over a breathtaking place in the world that you might never otherwise see with people you love.

Edited by MotownVoice

Subscribing to this thread as we have never been to Genoa before though have been to Italy numerous times. Going on the Sinfonia in July so I am hungry for lots of information and what to see and do.

Does anyone recommend flying to Milan and driving to Genoa? Know of any transfer companies from Milan to Genoa? Or is the train the best way?

Subscribing to this thread as we have never been to Genoa before though have been to Italy numerous times. Going on the Sinfonia in July so I am hungry for lots of information and what to see and do.

Does anyone recommend flying to Milan and driving to Genoa? Know of any transfer companies from Milan to Genoa? Or is the train the best way?

Train is fast and efficient and will take you directly from Milano Centrale to Genova in One hour and thirty minutes. Read schedules and book ahead on http://www.trenitalia.it. English version as well.

Last summer we booked a private transfer from Genova til Milano Linate on our return home and I can higly recommend http://www.transfermilan.com/.

Train is fast and efficient and will take you directly from Milano Centrale to Genova in One hour and thirty minutes. Read schedules and book ahead on www.trenitalia.it. English version as well.

Last summer we booked a private transfer from Genova til Milano Linate on our return home and I can higly recommend http://www.transfermilan.com/.

Thank you very much. Appreciate the information on the private transfer. Their rates are cheaper than I have found so far.

You could also look at connections to Genoa airport. Flights from London, Germany and various other places daily.

Have been checking those as well. Using airline miles. Haven't been to Milan before and my husband is keen to visit that area along with the Lakes/Piedmonte region.

Have been checking those as well. Using airline miles. Haven't been to Milan before and my husband is keen to visit that area along with the Lakes/Piedmonte region.

Aah that is different then. Lake Como is just a short train ride from Milan and doable as a day trip or you could hire a car.

I always stay in hotel Ambasciatori when in Milan. Great central location just behind the Duomo (cathedral) and beside some lovely galleria including the magnificent Vittorio Emanuele. Lots of good cafes and restaurant nearby and a wonderful gelateria Le Tre gazelle!

Edited by AmoMondo

• 2 weeks later...

Have gotten our flights secured and were able to fly to Genoa one day early. Have been looking at different hotels. Is the airport close to the port where we will embark on the Sinfonia? Should we stay near the port or city center? Will go to Milan after the cruise now.

Have gotten our flights secured and were able to fly to Genoa one day early. Have been looking at different hotels. Is the airport close to the port where we will embark on the Sinfonia? Should we stay near the port or city center? Will go to Milan after the cruise now.

We're probably going to stay in either Portofino or Santa Margherita for our overnights. They look like gorgeous communities and they're much closer to Genoa and also directly accesible by train. Less than an hour I think.

Hi

Couple of questions

Kind Regards

Tony

If you have sufficient time you can visit the beautiful Cinque Terre by train from Genoa. When consulting the train timetable between Genoa and the Cinque Terre, put the name one of the five villages as destination. A train ride can take between 70 and 90 minutes and will cost about €9 per person (one way).

• what is the starting station in Genoa , Stazione Principe
  • it is a direct train or do you have to change trains

Cinque Terre (Five Lands) is the collective name for five picturesque villages located in a National Park along the Ligurian coast. The villages are very difficult to reach by car, but are connected by a train line and a hiking trail, the Via dell'Amore. Cinque Terre appeals to the imagination because of the beautiful nature that consists of hills covered with olive and lemon groves, vineyards, sandy and rocky beaches. Since 1997 Cinque Terre belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage. Cinque Terre includes:

Monterosso al Mare (biggest village)

Vernazza (most picturesque village)

Corniglia

Manarola (oldest village)

Riomaggiore

.parco****onale5terre.it

Edited by mbeginner

Hi

Couple of questions

Kind Regards

Tony

If you have sufficient time you can visit the beautiful Cinque Terre by train from Genoa. When consulting the train timetable between Genoa and the Cinque Terre, put the name one of the five villages as destination. A train ride can take between 70 and 90 minutes and will cost about €9 per person (one way).

• what is the starting station in Genoa , Stazione Principe
  • it is a direct train or do you have to change trains

Cinque Terre (Five Lands) is the collective name for five picturesque villages located in a National Park along the Ligurian coast. The villages are very difficult to reach by car, but are connected by a train line and a hiking trail, the Via dell'Amore. Cinque Terre appeals to the imagination because of the beautiful nature that consists of hills covered with olive and lemon groves, vineyards, sandy and rocky beaches. Since 1997 Cinque Terre belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage. Cinque Terre includes:

• Monterosso al Mare (biggest village)
  • Vernazza (most picturesque village)
  • Corniglia
  • Manarola (oldest village)
  • Riomaggiore

Here you can find more information

• 2 weeks later...

Giving this a little bump.

Hotel Grand Savoia is sold out for our dates of July 20th, staying one night.

I am also looking at the Holiday Inn or staying at the airport at the Best Western.

Which would be best for for our family of three (two adults and one 16-year-old)?

Would like to see some of Genoa but am afraid that we will be too tired to do anything on the 20th. Will not arrive in Genoa until 4:30 p.m. that Sunday and after having flown from Nashville to Charlotte to Munich and finally into Genoa.

We leave on the Sinfonia on July 21st at 7 p.m.

What would you do?

• 1 month later...

Stayed at the NOVETEL & FOUND IT TO BE REASOANABLE, GOOD LOCATION NEAR BUS STOP ON MAIN ROAD, CLOSE TO TRAIN STION & NEAR CRUISE PORT. lOVED OUR CRUISE ON MSC. NOVATELS FOOD WAS QUITE GOOD. ALSO TOOK TRAIN TO ST.MARGARITA, STOPS ON TOP OF A HILL, LONG WALK, SAW A BUS BUT CHECK IT OUT FIRST. MILAN AIRPORT RECOMMEND HILTON GARDEN INN.

Giving this a little bump.

Hotel Grand Savoia is sold out for our dates of July 20th, staying one night.

I am also looking at the Holiday Inn or staying at the airport at the Best Western.

Which would be best for for our family of three (two adults and one 16-year-old)?

Would like to see some of Genoa but am afraid that we will be too tired to do anything on the 20th. Will not arrive in Genoa until 4:30 p.m. that Sunday and after having flown from Nashville to Charlotte to Munich and finally into Genoa.

We leave on the Sinfonia on July 21st at 7 p.m.

What would you do?

Personally, I'd take the city option.

Not so much about the looking around aspect, which I agree with you, it's a decent journey and the evening means it'll be a good time to hit the sack and adjust to jet lag.

But because it makes travelling more convenient. You get the travel out of the way and can then take it easy getting to the ship on the 21st. Also if you wake up early you'll be in town and can take a look around while you have more time, and leave the luggage at the hotel. Then come back and take it to the ship.

Whereas if you're at the airport you'll have to take your luggage with you and go straight to the ship, and then will probably be less inclined to come off, and are that fraction further away from things to look around (if you can get off?).