Thinking about a larger table at dinner

Going on the liberty next month...

Never did MTD just the late traditional seating...

Last cruise we did 8:30 table of two.

This time, we're kind of wanting to meet people, so a larger table is what we requested.

If we did MTD, can we get a larger table or are most people who do MTD prefer to eat by themselves? Thanks!

This time, we're kind of wanting to meet people, so a larger table is what we requested.

If we did MTD, can we get a larger table or are most people who do MTD prefer to eat by themselves? Thanks!

MTD is still set up with a mix of table sizes just like fixed seating.

Since the vast majority of them are larger than 2 seat, it is very easy to be seated with others. I prefer a 4 or 6 person table because it puts everyone at the table within comfortable talking range of each other. Beside meeting new people, it eliminates the chance of being stuck with disagreeable tablemates the entire cruise. Of course, it gets crowded and there can be some waiting during the peak times. We usually go early, and have never had to wait at all. No different than getting a seat in any restaurant, a bit of common sense goes a long way.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

I don't understand your idea at all. Can you elaborate a bit ? Just curious.

MTD is not generally open seating like breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Most parties come together and are seated at a table by themselves. You would have to arrive at the same time as your dinner partners to be seated at the same table.

MTD is not generally open seating like breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Most parties come together and are seated at a table by themselves. You would have to arrive at the same time as your dinner partners to be seated at the same table.

Quite different from our experiences with it. We have only done MTD on a couple of sailings, but have always walked up, been asked if we are willing to share a table, and get seated immediately, either with someone just ahead or behind us, or at a table that has just immediately been seated. Just lucky so far maybe. But we go early, so as to avoid the prime dining time when lots of people have made reservations.

We always do MTD we like To meet others. We never have had a problem being seated at a table for 8. Sometimes we have been the first at a new table but only have to wait max 15 mins for others to arrive and it's a good excuse to eat more of the lovely rolls!

... it's a good excuse to eat more of the lovely rolls!

There you go! LOL :D

If you want to eat with others, you absolutely may. We had MTD last cruise and asked to be seated with others who were just starting; a good manager/maître 'd will know where those people are and show you to their table. We were seated with others who still had their menus, no problem. :)

DH and I have never done MTD on our cruises. Friends of ours that did, had a horribly long wait. If I have to make a reservation, to make sure I can simply walk into the dining room and be seated, I may as well just choose one of the traditional dining times. We did late seating twice and hated it each time. Only did it because people we were traveling with 'loved' the late seating.

Now it is early seating. If we were to do the MTD, we probably would be choosing 6 or 6:15 anyway....so we just to the MDR.

Since we often cruise by ourselves, unless a couple of friends join us (which is rare -- due to schedules), I request to be seated at a table of 6-8. It gives us people to meet and mingle with throughout our cruise....and it makes it very enjoyable, indeed.

If you are looking to meet others I would highly recommend traditional dining. I have been on 18 cruises and only once did MTD. I have found that it is fun to get to know your table mates and hear what they have planned and then the next night see what they did each day. I've changed my plans for the next day based on what we heard someone is doing the next day. We are still friends with people we met at our table. Only once did we have to ask for a different table, we have been lucky or the people we eat with are just as happy as we are to be on a cruise. If you are looking to meet people, do traditional dining!!!

Probably better to opt for traditional dining if you want to eat with others.

Does booking your MTD reservations online before boarding help with getting a table for just two? Does it help the odds of sitting by yourself? Does crown and anchor priority play a factor in MTD like it does in the MDR? Thanks!

Does booking your MTD reservations online before boarding help with getting a table for just two? Does it help the odds of sitting by yourself? Does crown and anchor priority play a factor in MTD like it does in the MDR? Thanks!

If you choose MTD, you can always sit by yourself, it's up to you.

The nice thing about MTD is you don't sit with the same people every night . So you can decide if you are in the mood to visit or prefer to be by yourself. Each night request a different size table. 2-4-6. With traditional you are stuck with the same people every evening , like them or not.

You find that a lot of people who do MTD dine at the same time each evening and we have found ourselves sitting with the same people on a few evenings. In fact this year we were sitting with people who we had sat with the previous year on the same ship but different itinerary.

We tried MTD for the first time last year and it worked out really well .The first night we were placed at a table for 8 by the window and had great waiters. We asked if we could have the same table every night , which we did and as it turned out we ate with the same people nearly every night :)