Cost Cutting in full Swing

jayisgerman

I had my first HAL cruise in Ryndam during the summer so I can't compare it with previous years but I did not see any obvious signs of corners being cut.

We were in a Neptune suite and the Neptune lounge seemed to me to be pretty well stocked. If I were being hyper-critical I would have preferred to have had access to it later in the evening -- as it was we ended the day with a drinking chocolate in the Lido and that was not always easy to find -- I could find the Lido but the drinking chocolate was more elusive. No doubt it would have been provided if we had ordered it from the Suite.

The comparison with PandO, also part if the Carnival empire, is stark. There, cut- backs seem to be the norm.

A particular plus for the Ryndam was the way all the staff on board were keen to ensure that things went well.

David

Menus: We too were disappointed that the scrolls disappeared for the International Night dinner along with the "Baked Alaska" (such as it is) March being a thing of the past. Yeah, it's cheesy, but it's what we've come to expect.

The week after Thanksgiving the International menu DID have Baked Alaska because I had some :) To us, a flat menu is easier to read than a scroll :)

Entertainment: Can't comment on anything beyond the BB King's Blues All Star Band, but they didn't just relocate to the Vista Lounge one evening. They did a completely different show there and it was fantastic. So, they didn't just change venues and call it a production; it was a completely new production. I've never seen better entertainment on any line. And, for the record, they do take 2 nights off while appearing in the Queen's Lounge and do mix up their show there as well. Despite all the other cutbacks, HAL should be commended for the BB King's show they are now featured on a few ships, IMHO.

We totally agree - the BB King Band is a good fit for the HAL demographic. At the production in the Vista Lounge they had passengers on their feet in the aisles dancing and clapping - it was great fun!.

We had a great cruise without the daily rugs and I don't even know if there were coats on the chairs or not formal night :D

"I can live without."

I've read it so many time in this thread.

Does anyone stop to think what the cruise experience would be for new cruisers if they could experience what we did when we first crossed a HAL gangway so many years ago?

The response should be: Enough already.

If the line has grown that you can't provide the same level of service or amenities, time to rethink the plan.

If you feel that HAL continues to cut back on service, has anyone responded by reducing their daily hotel charge in response? After all, tipping is for exemplary service which many folks are apparently not receiving? I just wonder would this send a message to HAL?

If you feel that HAL continues to cut back on service, has anyone responded by reducing their daily hotel charge in response? After all, tipping is for exemplary service which many folks are apparently not receiving? I just wonder would this send a message to HAL?

That would have absolutely zero effect upon those who make the cutback decisions. It would be a clear case of shooting the messenger.

The staff who receive the benefit of the hotel charges are the folks whose job descriptions have expanded to cover the impact of the cutbacks. They are expected to do the same job with more tables to serve, and more cabins to clean. These folks are rising above the situation and doing, for the most part, a fantastic job. Withholding the service charge would just bite the wrong hand.

We just returned from the Eurodam and had a wonderful cruise. Maybe not the same HAL experience we had in 1995, but, nevertheless, we were well served and well taken care of.

About 10-12 years ago we remember that food quality suffered during a previous recession. Once the economy recovered and more folks were traveling the deep bargains disappeared and quality improved. Could happen again as long as the business survives.

Hopefully the ships will not get so large that the only way to fill them will be to continue the deep discounts -- and hopefully the product will be good enough that folks will pay the tariff.

There have been comments on this forum of room stewards filling soap dispensers with water instead of soap in order to save time. We were told to request ice as they were no longer supplying it in the rooms. And it is clear from other comments that different levels of service exist across different ships. I guess the question for me is how much of the service that we receive is impacted by decisions made by HAL and how much by decisions made by crew on the ship?

I am not happy with added cabins and the takeover of public areas by cabanas and lanai staterooms. I miss red snapper and swordfish on the dinner menu. Tilapia, meatloaf, and pasta as main courses are a cheap embarrassment. There are still plenty of satisfying offerings.

I am still happy to cruise on Holland America. While I am not crazy about cutbacks, there a number of improvements since I started cruising HAL: Boarding at 11:30 and being able to go directly to my cabin; embarkation lunch in the dining room; the hotel service charge; cooking demonstrations; reduced announcements; reduced smoking; open dining; tai chi classes; wifi; less aggressive photographers; and staying in my cabin until time to debark. HAL's itineraries keep me coming back.

Hi--we're just back from an 11 day E. Med on the Rotterdam:

--Day-of-the-week carpets in all elevators

--great offerings in the Neptune Lounge (we took the upsell)--nice OJ in the am (better than MDR or Lido). Got espresso or cappucino there in mornings to take to breakfast.

--Amenities in bathroom were adequate.

--Chair covers on 1 (of 3) formal nights, which weren't very formal, but that's another thread, isn't it?;)

--we received menus in the cabin each day.

--only the barest of essentials in the gym/spa showers (shampoo/cond/body wash in dispensers in shower; soap and lotion at sink)

--no late night dessert extravaganza

--No more terrific chocolates/cholocate bark in the Explorers' Lounge after dinner

--Yum-Yum man very generous with the mints--he gave me 6 each night:D

Bottom Line--we had a great cruise!! Yes--there have been a few cutbacks over the years, but we still love to cruise, and still like HAL!:)

"Buggets" eh? How did Hamop's bug make it in this conversation? :cool:

Please, Buggy in in enough trouble with some on here without having him frozen in an ice cube like an ancient bug in a piece of Amber.:eek:

Just off B2B on Nieuw Amsterdam. I will list the cuts I noticed:

Adagio now has 2 musicians instead of 4 :(

Only one production show per week - different one each week.

Only one comedian who performed only one late night show per week.

No more dessert extravaganza!

No more music in the barbecue area at HMC

No more complimentary cappuccino

The music that once filled the atrium at dinner time is gone!

No more discounted beverage cards.

No more newspapers delivered to cabins.

Yet to come- New wine policy and the

Recategorizing of cabin classes- a subtle way to increase prices. My VD cabin will be a VB cabin after March, 2014! Yikes!

Edited by luv4cruises

I noticed that on my recent Eurodam cruise as well, but found out the second-to-last day of the cruise that you could request them to be delivered to your room.

Or, you could just "borrow" them from the suite passengers. Not that I have any experience in that regard. ;)

Edited by ellieanne

I noticed that on my recent Eurodam cruise as well, but found out the second-to-last day of the cruise that you could request them to be delivered to your room.

Or, you could just "borrow" them from the suite passengers. Not that I have any experience in that regard. ;)

I'm so sorry to read you think it okay to remove mail from anyone's mail box. If the daily NYTimes was placed in the mail box for the suite, it belongs to them. I wonder what else is okay for one to help themselves to if they want it and a suite guest has it?

I'm so sorry to read you think it okay to remove mail from anyone's mail box. If the daily NYTimes was placed in the mail box for the suite, it belongs to them. I wonder what else is okay for one to help themselves to if they want it and a suite guest has it?

I'm sorry you missed the joke.

I didn't take them. I read the headlines while I was in the hall waiting for someone. If the headlines are face out, and I can read them without removing the paper, what's the harm?

Edited by ellieanne

Adagio now has 2 musicians instead of 4 :(

Only one production show per week - different one each week.

Only one comedian who performed only one late night show per week.

No more dessert extravaganza!

No more music in the barbecue area at HMC

No more complimentary cappuccino

The music that once filled the atrium at dinner time is gone!

No more discounted beverage cards.

Yet to come- New wine policy and the

Recategorizing of cabin classes- a subtle way to increase prices. My VD cabin will be a VB cabin after March, 2014! Yikes!

Could you please post daily programs of your cruise?

"I can live without."

I've read it so many time in this thread.

Does anyone stop to think what the cruise experience would be for new cruisers if they could experience what we did when we first crossed a HAL gangway so many years ago?

The response should be: Enough already.

If the line has grown that you can't provide the same level of service or amenities, time to rethink the plan.

new perspective -- you can't miss what you don't have --we are fairly new cruisers and I think the experience is wonderful -- can't imagine a first time cruiser going home and saying -- sure wish they would have had mats with the day on them.

new perspective -- you can't miss what you don't have --we are fairly new cruisers and I think the experience is wonderful -- can't imagine a first time cruiser going home and saying -- sure wish they would have had mats with the day on them.

A very good point.

Someone felt the need to take menus from my mail slot. Some folks are raised by wolves. Some wolves would likely be embarrassed.

These cruise lines have a responsibility to their shareholders to give them a certain rate of return. When they aren't doing that, they have two choices, raise the fare, or cut costs. Which would you prefer??

I'd prefer the former. Is it so hard to imagine that at least some would be willing to pay a bit more to have better service without rising to the level of the luxury lines?

Forget the mat.

Would you enjoy cheaper drinks, menus left on your cabin bar, fine soaps, a captains welcome aboard party, an extensive menu, no-charge alternative restaurants?

Exactly.