A Capella groups?

patterson3

I usually cruise Celebrity and one of my favorite things about them is their a Capella groups. In April I took my first Princess cruise and had a great cruise, but was disappointed that there was no a Capella group on board (sapphire princess). Anyway, I have an upcoming cruise booked on the Crown in January and was wondering if anyone who's recently been on the crown can tell me if there is an a Capella group onboard?

Thanks in advance!

There's a "Pop Choir" on every Princess cruise I've taken for the last few years. Don't know if it's offered on the short cruises. Just do a Google search for "Princess pop choir" and there'll be a list of several YouTube videos.

Edited by Pam in CA

As Pam states on most cruises Princess has the Pop Choir as an activity. They sing to a background instrumental CD, they don't sing a capella. There is usually an hour practice each sea day with one of the CD staff. As of this past March they had 3 different groups of songs, two selections of pop songs and one selection of holiday songs for the December voyages. At the end of the cruise in the afternoon they sing in the Atrium and then have a little party.

This is not meant to put down the Pop Choir in any way, since I know absolutely nothing about it, but I don't think it's comparable to the Celebrity a cappella groups. Think four 20-something guys singing everything from barbershop to current pop favorites. (Plus providing serious eye-candy.;))

Kathy

I was on the Crown Princess in March of 2009 and the Acapella Doo-Wop Group named Spank was perfoming at the Piaza daily, they were awesome. We even bought their CD and stayed a few times to talk to them. Yes, we need more groups like these.

This is not meant to put down the Pop Choir in any way, since I know absolutely nothing about it, but I don't think it's comparable to the Celebrity a cappella groups. Think four 20-something guys singing everything from barbershop to current pop favorites. (Plus providing serious eye-candy.;))
So, you're talking professional entertainment rather than passenger singing opportunities. That wasn't clear. Of course a professional group that's being paid to entertain wouldn't be the same as one comprised of passengers who just like to sing.

Kathy

Is this for any passenger that shows up? Seems to me the way you describe it performing in the an a cappella group would require some voice training or at the very least be able to carry a melody and harmony, thus a try out. Is this correct. On Princess no one is turned away. Everybody that wants to be included is included. Seems they are different types of activities with different expectations.

I've never seen or heard an acapella singing group on board a Princess cruise. We sailed on Crown Princess in Jan 2012 and April 2012.

That sounds like it would be great entertainment - anywhere on the ship! :)

It is great! I've enjoyed the a cappella groups on every one of my Celebrity cruises, however the group on our last Eclipse cruise (they were called Full Tilt) were by far the best entertainment I've ever seen on a ship! My wife and I started scheduling our days on the ship around when and where they were performing!

I've never seen or heard an acapella singing group on board a Princess cruise. We sailed on Crown Princess in Jan 2012 and April 2012.

That sounds like it would be great entertainment - anywhere on the ship! :)

We have also seen "Spank" perform on a Princess ship.

We will be cruising on the Ruby with my husband's alumni college a Capella singing group; the Vintage Colgate 13. The guys all sang in the Colgate 13 while they were students at Colgate University in the 1960's. They have a concert planned after the cruise but I know would be happy to sing on the ship as well. What are some venues you think would work? I have contacted one of the shore side coordinators and am waiting to hear back.

We will be cruising on the Ruby with my husband's alumni college a Capella singing group; the Vintage Colgate 13. The guys all sang in the Colgate 13 while they were students at Colgate University in the 1960's. They have a concert planned after the cruise but I know would be happy to sing on the ship as well. What are some venues you think would work? I have contacted one of the shore side coordinators and am waiting to hear back.

The piazza would definitely work, as would explorer's lounge and the wheelhouse bar!

Your group should change your booking to the Jan 11th Crown Princess!...haha

The piazza would definitely work, as would explorer's lounge and the wheelhouse bar!

Your group should change your booking to the Jan 11th Crown Princess!...haha

Ha Ha! Switching dates and ships is not an option. We are just starting to work through the process of getting "sanctioned" to sing in a public venue. The Vintage 13 just loves to sing!

Is this for any passenger that shows up? Seems to me the way you describe it performing in the an a cappella group would require some voice training or at the very least be able to carry a melody and harmony, thus a try out. Is this correct. On Princess no one is turned away. Everybody that wants to be included is included. Seems they are different types of activities with different expectations.

These are professional entertainers who have a 6 month contract to perform on a specific ship. They usually do 2 or 3 sets throughout the evening in various venues around the ship. Sorry if I didn't make this clear before.

Kathy