Need a brutally honest comparison of Equinox and Freedom class ships

C Cruise Dude

Like one responder stated, different venues. The Equinox has a glass blowing show and some other good entertainment. But if you are traveling with children, they will definately prefer the Freedom Class RC ships. They will (and you will) flip over the Oasis class ships and can get some really great rates.

IMO we truly are Celebrity fans- but also enjoy RC.

Enjoy your cruise.

The OP is mid 50's and cruising solo. We also enjoy both lines. :)

I know the OP has already booked, but thought I'd throw out something on the Promenade.

We use the Promenade as our meeting place on FOTS and MOTS. DH likes to people watch and that's where he hangs out. On Celebrity's S class ships he goes down to the martini bar. Lots happening there and plenty of people to watch.

Have sailed on Jewel class, Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class on Royal. ALL classes on Celebrity. "S" class(Equinox) by far our favorite and FREEDOM BY FAR our least favorite.....

just did not enjoy the ship....seemed like just an overblown Voyager class with no "WOW's" for us....SO SO BIG and crowds not handled nearly as well as on Oasis class....we won't go back to that class ever......

I'd book Equinox everytime before Freedom....

Have sailed on Jewel class, Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class on Royal. ALL classes on Celebrity. "S" class(Equinox) by far our favorite and FREEDOM BY FAR our least favorite.....

just did not enjoy the ship....seemed like just an overblown Voyager class with no "WOW's" for us....SO SO BIG and crowds not handled nearly as well as on Oasis class....we won't go back to that class ever......

I'd book Equinox everytime before Freedom....

While I also prefer Celebrity, what amazed me about the Freedom class and Oasis class of RC is how wonderfully the crowd was managed. We never had an issue with crowds. Perhaps you just had a bad isolated experience. Of course when disembarking for a shore excursion the crowds were horrible, but that is bad on all ships. Hate waiting in line, typically in the hot sun, waiting for a shore excusion to begin. Now go on our own.

My only truly negative experience with horrible crowds was on Princess, especially the Caribbean Princess. Not enough seats in the theatre or at the pool.

Edited by Cruise a holic

While I also prefer Celebrity, what amazed me about the Freedom class and Oasis class of RC is how wonderfully the crowd was managed. We never had an issue with crowds. Perhaps you just had a bad isolated experience. Of course when disembarking for a shore excursion the crowds were horrible, but that is bad on all ships. Hate waiting in line, typically in the hot sun, waiting for a shore excusion to begin. Now go on our own.

My only truly negative experience with horrible crowds was on Princess, especially the Caribbean Princess. Not enough seats in the theatre or at the pool.

I agree. I have cruised twice on the Freedom and once on the Liberty. Crowds were never an issue. The Jewel on the other hand was probably the most crowded feeling RCI ship for me.

I'd like to mention that last year while waiting to get back on board in the seering heat, Celebrity had canopies set up for us as well as we had ice cold cloths and water available while we waited. The other cruise lines passengers had none of that

I see the major differences between the two:

1. Celebrity passengers are generally much older

2. RCCL has annoying announcements during the day

3. Celebrity has a strict smoking policy

4. More kids on RCCL but a higher energy level overall

5. Food is somewhat better on Celebrity

Enjoy!