Car rental in Quebec City

clojacks

We are disembarking in QC in October '14 from the Norwegian Dawn and planning on renting a car. We plan to stay around QC a couple of days and then travel down to Montreal for a couple before flying home to Minnesota. Was planning on dropping the car at the airport in Montreal, but now kind of wondering if taking the train to Montreal and getting another car there for a couple of days might not be more cost efficient? The drive from QC to Montreal doesn't have the same charm as going NE up the Seaway from QC does anyway. Are there rental cars available at the port in QC or would I have to arrange to get it at the airport?

I can't answer your question about rental cars being available near the port, but depending on what you plan to do in Quebec City and Montreal I can say that you may not need a car. Both cities are very pedestrian friendly and unless you are planning on visiting places outside the city you most likely don't need a car.

I thinking spending a few days in each city and taking a train may be the better idea. As you mention, the drive between Quebec City and Montreal is not that scenic.

I would agree with RICK

If you are staying in old Quebec city it is very walkable & parking may be a problem as well as costly

If you want to do a day trip out of the city there are organized tours

I would take the train or even the bus to Montreal

Forget the cars unless you plan on seeing the country side

Enjoy

Lyn