Gym usage

AusaicMosaic

I will be needing to do some rehab exercises on our cruise on the Oosterdam in January.

Will there be someone knowledgeable on duty in the gym to point me to the right machine to help me work on my atrophic abductor muscles in the hip that I broke the NOF on two years ago?

Someone will show up around 6 AM to open the gym. Some times that person stays for a little while before classes begin -- sometimes they leave to go and have their coffee.

On Embarkation day there is a free tour of the spa and gym area in the afternoon. That would be a good time to stop by and take the tour -- we just go by ourselves or move in with a group. Even though we have been on all the ship multiple times, DH still likes to go and check out the gyms and see what new equipment they have gotten. On that day, the people working in the gym are definitely on duty.

Someone will show up around 6 AM to open the gym. Some times that person stays for a little while before classes begin -- sometimes they leave to go and have their coffee.

On Embarkation day there is a free tour of the spa and gym area in the afternoon. That would be a good time to stop by and take the tour -- we just go by ourselves or move in with a group. Even though we have been on all the ship multiple times, DH still likes to go and check out the gyms and see what new equipment they have gotten. On that day, the people working in the gym are definitely on duty.

Thanks.

We signed up for a spa package last year but did not do the gym. Will check it out on the first day as you suggest

Beth

I'm a certified fitness instructor which is probably the same qualifications that anyone working in the gym would have. While we are knowledgable about how to target certain muscles, we are not experts in rehabilitation for injuries. Your physical therapist can recommend some exercises for you to perform in the gym.

I will be needing to do some rehab exercises on our cruise on the Oosterdam in January.

Will there be someone knowledgeable on duty in the gym to point me to the right machine to help me work on my atrophic abductor muscles in the hip that I broke the NOF on two years ago?

I just finished sailing on the Oosterdam. The gym had two trained personnel who offered private consultant sessions for a fee (I'm sorry I don't know how much). But their training is primarily as fitness experts; they are not physical therapists. And, unfortunately, the focus of all the spa staff seems to be on selling products and services more than anything. I would check with a licensed therapist before leaving home on recommendations.

The gym does have a variety of machines, but I do not remember there being a hip abductor machine there. There were treadmill, ellipticals, both recumbent and regular bikes. The weight machines were primarily upper body although there were a leg press. a leg curl and a leg extention machine. There are also free weights and some mats with a small open floor space.

Will there be someone knowledgeable on duty in the gym to point me to the right machine to help me work on my atrophic abductor muscles in the hip that I broke the NOF on two years ago?[/

Make sure you get your rehab exercises from your therapist at home, then I don't think you'll have any problems doing them yourself

Edited by woodworker&knitter

I have not seen a hip abductor or adductor machine on volendam or Veendam. It's fuzzy in my brain but I seem to remember a Cybex Total Hip machine on Amsterdam but not sure.

Another vote to get an exercise prescription and instruction from your PT. Also get yourself some soft latex bands (ie: Therabands) and have your PT show you how to use them. (They may already have you using them). They weigh nil and one can fit in an envelope or your pocket)- they are a gym in your pocket.

Totally agree - get your exercises from your physiotherapist - my DH was given a sheet of descriptive exercises after he broke his hip.

I use the gym regularly, and there are personnel there to assist you with the equipment, and conduct various lessons. I don't think you would get someone with the knowledge you need.

Thanks everyone!

I have the bands so will probably just use those and do hydrotherapy.

The Therapy Pool/Thermal Suite on the Oosterdam are very nice and I used them almost everyday. On my 14-day cruise the cost for a cruise-long pass was $199 for a single and $299 for a couple. They limited the sale of passes to 50 couples they said. It's a very large heated Jacuzzi pool with mineral water with a built-in lounge "bed" holding about 3-4 people at a time and additional space to just stand or walk. There were several cushioned lounge chairs around the pool. In the Suite there were three steam rooms of differing temperatures as well as six heated ceramic lounges in front of a picture window.