S Class Balcony Questions

mickeysgal

We are booking our first Celebrity cruise on most likely the Silhouette. Can't wait to try Celebrity - been on my list to try for quite some time now. Been reading and trying to absorb it all. We've sailed regular balconies on Royal and aft suites on NCL. Love the aft area - the wake and often quite larger balconies. After searching a lot of threads, I have a few (ok, several) questions:

- Looks like deck 12 is the only covered aft balconies, correct? I do prefer covered.

- Are there any regular aft or concierge aft balconies bigger than normal?

- Are there any balconies that have regular loungers? Not foot stools, but real loungers?

- Right now I'm leaning toward one of the larger balconies off the hump if the aft area doesn't work out for us - 1A's I believe they are called.

- Was interested in possibly concierge - are there any CC staterooms with larger balconies?

Thanks so much to all of you...

Here are two threads worth looking at.

1) S-Class Cabin Information

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018

2) Grand tour of S-Class ships

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1751328

Between these two threads you'll find lots of information and pictures on various cabins.

Here are two threads worth looking at.

1) S-Class Cabin Information

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018

2) Grand tour of S-Class ships

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1751328

Between these two threads you'll find lots of information and pictures on various cabins.

Beautiful! Thank you to all!

We are booking our first Celebrity cruise on most likely the Silhouette. Can't wait to try Celebrity - been on my list to try for quite some time now. Been reading and trying to absorb it all. We've sailed regular balconies on Royal and aft suites on NCL. Love the aft area - the wake and often quite larger balconies. After searching a lot of threads, I have a few (ok, several) questions:

- Looks like deck 12 is the only covered aft balconies, correct? I do prefer covered.

- Are there any regular aft or concierge aft balconies bigger than normal?

- Are there any balconies that have regular loungers? Not foot stools, but real loungers?

- Right now I'm leaning toward one of the larger balconies off the hump if the aft area doesn't work out for us - 1A's I believe they are called.

- Was interested in possibly concierge - are there any CC staterooms with larger balconies?

Thanks so much to all of you...

We are booked in a 1A on 8 located as the last cabin before aft on the side(which might qualify as "aft area" I suppose ;)) and it is reported to have a slightly larger balcony however, we have not seen it in person yet since we won't sail until March. There is one of these cabins on each side on decks 9 & 8 if I am not mistaken.

Haven't sailed in the aft cabins on the S-class but did book a C2 once on the Equinox and a AQ on the Solstice. While we normally love the aft cabins, we found that the mid-ship hump cabins are just awesome beyond belief. There wasn't much foot traffic past our cabin on either of these cruises. The midship hump cabin was by far the nicest cabin we've occupied. It was so quiet but convenient to everything. The best part is, you get foot stools and the balcony furniture along with that foot stool was so comfortable. We took naps out there all the time.

The midship AQ balconies, while they do have the footstool, are tiny in comparison to the hump balconies. So, always cramped out there when our friends came to visit.

The regular balcony cabins do not come with footstools and I believe the only cabins with actual lounge chairs are the suites (maybe even the mini suites). In both cabins mentioned above, we were right next to the full suites and they had very nice balcony furniture.

My next cruise is on the S class is in a midship balcony cabin but not concierge or AQ. I am really going to miss that footstool, I fear. I will rig something up to my liking.

2105 does have a longer balcony, however, it was the noisiest cabin I've ever had (got off Silhouette this morning). In fact, it has two strikes against it in my book. It's just aft of the smoking area and although I never smelled smoke on my balcony, the hallway outside the cabin door got pretty stinky twice, as did the elevator vestibule. Both times were windy days. The noise part is that the mens' bathroom for the pool/smoking area isn't all that far away. The "whoosh" sound was incessant until around 11:00 PM, when the smokers went to bed. I use a white noise machine when I go to bed so I didn't notice it at night. During the day though, "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh!" If I book a long CC balcony again, it would be a starboard (non-smoking side) cabin 2108 (maybe 2106) or 2107 on port side. I think they'd be far enough back to avoid the whoosh or the smoke. My favorite 1A is 9292 first, with 9237 second. Oh, you get footstools in CC cabins but not in 1As. The chairs recline almost flat and with the footstools, make a pretty good lounger. Great for naps. ;)

We love aft cabins the best, the higher up the better. If it's in your budget, book an S1 sky suite. Corner aft cabin. Penthouse deck. Aaaaah.

We just had the S1 Sky suite corner aft cabin on deck 11 (Penthouse) on Reflection and loved it. Great room! The only thing that would have been better might have been the starboard side rather than port - only because the sun was rather intense on the balcony on our return sea days.

We have 8224 booked on Solstice as a 1A, it's a hump cabin and I don't see any mention of it, any input?

J.

There's a wonderful, searchable "sticky" at the top of the Celebrity forum with info on many of the S-class cabins. To use, just plug your cabin number into the search engine. I put in 8224 for you and got these:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33129482&postcount=1563

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36422622&postcount=1760

2105 does have a longer balcony, however, it was the noisiest cabin I've ever had (got off Silhouette this morning). In fact, it has two strikes against it in my book. It's just aft of the smoking area and although I never smelled smoke on my balcony, the hallway outside the cabin door got pretty stinky twice, as did the elevator vestibule. Both times were windy days. The noise part is that the mens' bathroom for the pool/smoking area isn't all that far away. The "whoosh" sound was incessant until around 11:00 PM, when the smokers went to bed. I use a white noise machine when I go to bed so I didn't notice it at night. During the day though, "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh!" If I book a long CC balcony again, it would be a starboard (non-smoking side) cabin 2108 (maybe 2106) or 2107 on port side. I think they'd be far enough back to avoid the whoosh or the smoke. My favorite 1A is 9292 first, with 9237 second. Oh, you get footstools in CC cabins but not in 1As. The chairs recline almost flat and with the footstools, make a pretty good lounger. Great for naps. ;)

I agree with goofysmom ---for 14 days, two weeks ago, I had cabin 2105 on the Eclipse. I would never book it again! There was noise every morning from the five steward storage areas outside room and then the "whoosh " sound from the restroom above. There also was hours of what sounded like water gurgling/ draining in the shower. Closing the bathroom door kept noise from room, but gurgling was very annoying when in bathroom. I have had other cabins on Eclipse and they were great.

The location was great, but for me, that does not make up for the noise.