Flight - Starting to panic a little

cantw8tosale

We are cruising on Epic in January and I have a return flight scheduled to depart Fort Lauderdale at noon on Saturday - will we have enough time to get off the ship (arrives in Miami at 8:00) and travel to FLL, go through security, etc, and still make our 12:00 flight???

We have always cruised with Royal Caribbean arriving at Port Canaveral and flying out of Orlando . We have never had an issue since they arrive in port at 7 and it's an easy walk off shortly thereafter, however, I am kind of freaking out because of the port arrival an hour later.

Also any suggestions for the best mode of transportation from the Port to Fort Lauderdale would be helpful!!

Thank you!!

Should be ok but you may want to do self embark to get to FLL earlier than later. Remember that a lot of the big ships will be disembarking in FLL so it will turn into a madhouse after around 9 a.m.

Would take a taxi.

I easily made a 12:40 departure from FLL in mid-October. One thing to consider is how many ships will be in port in both Miami and Port Everglades the day you depart. That could affect how quickly you can get out of Miami and through security in FLL.

Six of us from the cruise roll call went together and reserved a van with Super Shuttle and made the trip quickly and easily. We did the early walk-off.

We were flying out of FLL last year after a trip coming into Miami. There were 3-4 ships in Miami and 5 in FLL. I would suggest either doing the taxi or limo, that way you are not waiting for a van/bus to fill up. We were on our way fairly quickly (got a porter to help getting through the port). You should be fine.

We are cruising on Epic in January and I have a return flight scheduled to depart Fort Lauderdale at noon on Saturday - will we have enough time to get off the ship (arrives in Miami at 8:00) and travel to FLL, go through security, etc, and still make our 12:00 flight???

We have always cruised with Royal Caribbean arriving at Port Canaveral and flying out of Orlando . We have never had an issue since they arrive in port at 7 and it's an easy walk off shortly thereafter, however, I am kind of freaking out because of the port arrival an hour later.

Also any suggestions for the best mode of transportation from the Port to Fort Lauderdale would be helpful!!

Thank you!!

We disembarked Epic last Saturday. I don't recall what time disembarkation started, but I know we chose the color tags for 9:00 am and they actually called our color at 8:30 just as we were finishing breakfast. We pretty much walked straight off the ship around 8:45 and were checked into our hotel by 9:15. Easiest disembarkation ever!

On Sunday am, we were picked up at the hotel by our GoMJS shuttle after they swung by the cruise terminal for a pick up from a ship which came in that morning. We were probably picked up around 8:00am and we were at our gate around 9:30 with time to spare for our 10:30 flight. So if we can make a 10:30 you can surely make a 12:00. There was only one other couple with us. They don't necessarily sit at the terminal for hours waiting as they have several shuttles which run back and forth.

We usually use SAS, but used MJS this time and highly recommend them. They use huge 15 passenger Mercedes vans. I think there were maybe 6 of us going down to Miami and only 4 of us going back.

Edited by punkincc

Just off the Epic on Saturday and had a 12:20 flight out of FLL. I took my own luggage off and had transportation with SAS. I made my flight with plenty of time to spare- the security line took almost an hour at FLL so keep that in mind. I left the ship around 8AM - the ship arrived in Miami around 5:30AM but don't know when they started letting people off the ship.

As others have noted, it's tight but probably do-able. Key things would be to get in the first disembarkation group (if possible, carry off your own suitcases to be the very first off), and arrange your own port to airport transportation.

Personally, I'd try for a later flight, but I hate being stressed about missing a flight when I've just come off a nice "de-stressing" vacation cruise!

We walked off the Epic on this past Sat at around 7:30 - there are cabs out front, you should be able to get a cab and get to the airport with plenty of time. There was a line of people waiting to disembark (they started cueing around 7am) but the lines move very fast so don't panic if you see a lot of people waiting.

Another vote for SAS. I just used them 2 weeks ago when I got off epic at 8:45. Call them when you get outside with the terminal you're at and they'll come get you in a few minutes from their waiting area. It did take me a few calls for Steve to answer but he finally picked up on like the 4th call. $15/pp to FLL.

I took off my own suitcase.

Edited by WestCoastCruiser123

IMHO that's a little tight....

There are a lot of unforeseen delays that could occur between getting into port and getting yourselves on the plane in time.

I hate travel stress and being late or rushed... But that's just me....

Good luck!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

I have yet to fly out of Miami, we always fly out of FLL, and we use SAS. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They will ask you to give them a call as you are entering the terminal, and they will tell you were to wait....we didn't wait long. It's about a 30 min drive to the airport.

We carried our luggage off, and by doing so you will be one of the first off the ship.

A noon flight should not be a problem.:)

I agree. Should be fine. But one cruise we left out of Long Beach and we returned to an unplanned San Pedro. Lots of unhappy campers. Where they all had to be bussed to LB, we called a friend who picked us up and entertained us all afternoon. We called a car service that evening and went to our LAX hotel for an early flight the next day. So glad we were not in that mess. Stuff happens. Take enough trips and your number comes up eventually.

But, noon looks good. With no surprises you should be fine. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If you self debark you will be fine....assuming there is no surprise CG inspection or some other type of one off delay.

This past November we sailed on the Carnival Imagination out of Miami, we had a 10:30 AM flight out of FLL and made it there no problem. Even had time to eat breakfast. Now I will say that I was one of the first people off the ship since we are platinum and get to debark before most. But again our flight was at 10:30 so well before yours.

-Matt

I think you will be causing undue stress after a relaxing vacation

Take a later flight if you can

Getting off the ship is governed by customs and anything can happen

I got detained in customs for an hour when I arrived at the NYC port so you just never know what might occur