how formal attire for Celebrity Cruise Nov 2014?

nursesusiee

Hi!

I am cruising for the first time in 11 years, and it is my boyfriend's first time cruising ever. I am 29- he, 31.

I really like to get dressed up as we patron the Opera and many benefit galas in the fall/winter.

We are going on a Southern Caribbean cruise for 7 nights in Nov 2014.

Should I be looking for a long gown, or moreso cocktail attire?

I don't want to look ridiculous.

Many thanks in advance!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=nursesusiee&date=11-1-2014&text=&ship=Celebrity Summit

Edited by nursesusiee
adding clock

Guest maddycat
Hi!

I am cruising for the first time in 11 years, and it is my boyfriend's first time cruising ever. I am 29- he, 31.

I really like to get dressed up as we patron the Opera and many benefit galas in the fall/winter.

We are going on a Southern Caribbean cruise for 7 nights in Nov 2014.

Should I be looking for a long gown, or moreso cocktail attire?

I don't want to look ridiculous.

Many thanks in advance!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=nursesusiee&date=11-1-2014&text=&ship=Celebrity Summit

Either would be fine on Celebrity. Buy what ever you will get more use out of once you are home.

Your dress is beautiful and will look great in the Caribbean. Celebrity passengers do seem to dress up more than other ships I have been on.

I always wear a long gown and DH wears a tux on formal nights.

Margee

I appreciate your help, Margee. Thank you! :)

Guest maddycat

It's a beautiful dress. From my experience on Celebrity Caribbean cruises, most passengers will be wearing dresses that are more reserved, not quite so fancy, glittery.

I have seen all types of dresses, long ones, short ones, glitzy ones,

simple ones.......been sailing with Celebrity for years and years.

It is a beautiful dress and I say "GO FOR IT":D

no, you will not be out of place..

wear what you like while you are young and can pull it off. the only people having a problem will be the porkies who are jealous.

That's a very rude comment. If you are speaking of those who are not model thin, or even average, I've seen fluffy women dressed in ball gowns and they were certainly not jealous of anyone.

Ha, ha, you left youself open on that one since I can ask you the same question.

as a matter of fact we were sitting on the 5th floor overlooking the Centrum on the Nov 3 cruise of the Serenade and overheard several "fluffy" ladies pointing out that several of the young ladies dancing (quite good) were dressed a little to sexy for their liking. If fact one of the ladies dancing would probably be on the low end of 'fluffy'

thedressroom%20jovani%20evening%2091148.jpg&cropratio=1:1.1363636363636

Is something like this too formal? Honest opinion, please :)

Back to your question. This cruise line and their formal nights are the perfect time and place to wear this gown. My DW and I wear tuxedos and long gowns (respectively) on Celebrity for formal nights. Your gown looks perfect to me.

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

Back to your question. This cruise line and their formal nights are the perfect time and place to wear this gown. My DW and I wear tuxedos and long gowns (respectively) on Celebrity for formal nights. Your gown looks perfect to me.

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

thank you! I really appreciate it!

This is just an observation because I'm not much on the dress code debates....I wear what I wear and it's that simple for me. Hubby and I just returned from the Reflection last week and didn't see as many people dressed in true formal wear as we have in the past. It may have been just our cruise, but we saw a handful of tuxes and just as many formal gowns this particular cruise. There was more cocktail style wear (sparkly, satiny, LBD for the gals, suits for the men) than ever. We are booked on the cruise after yours next year for the Southern Caribbean and with it being as port intensive as it is, I would think this would be more of an issue for people to keep it simple. I could be wrong since I've never cruised the southern itinerary, but I know that it would be hard for us to get it together after all day ashore. You won't have a problem if that's what you wish to wear on Celebrity, but it's just something to think about.

Edited by islandgirlejfan

I have already said your dress is great and would work well on Celebrity but islandgirlejfan's comments gave me some food for thought.

So here are my thoughts on Dressing in the Caribbean:

Yes the Caribbean is more casual than if you are in Europe but I find the majority, cruising the former, still dress formal to semi-formal (tux/suite, long/cocktail dress few true gowns but lots in long dresses, which yours is).

That being said I usually do 10+ night cruises and I have heard the demographic on the longer cruises is different than that on the shorter cruises and I must do the cruises where people dress for dinner.

I wear long dresses on formal and cocktail the rest of the nights.

I do zip lining and snorkling during the day and am back in plenty of time to have a drink, shower and dress, then a cocktail before my 8:30 dinner seating.

After dinner it is a drink or few and dancing followed by a night cap, all still in formal wear, then bed. Not in formal wear.

I just thought I would post this so you have all sides of the coin.

Cheers, h.

11441308356_390952e6dc_o.jpg

islandgirlejfan,

I just saw your flash mob logo. Did you take part in one? Was it a Celebrity? How does one get involved?

Sorry this is off topic but I am so interested.

Cheers, h.

11441308356_390952e6dc_o.jpg

LOL, no we didn't do the flash mob (however I would as well). We are a group of people that gives out flashy pins to the crew and our roll call when we cruise. One of the crew on a cruise called us the *flashy people* and my hubby came up with =X= FLASHmob. Blinky mob didn't have the same ring to it! :p

Edited by islandgirlejfan