medical emergency question

So, we are booked on the Breeze in a couple weeks with my parents. Today my stepdad had a heart attack and was urged not to go anymore. No one has insurance since we did not see this coming. Since we are so close to leaving, is there anything that can be done for my parents to get money back or credit for another trip at a later date or whatever??? Clearly we should have had insurance but do not so would like other helpful answers if anyone has one other than "should have gotten insurance" Thanks:)

This is why they have travel insurance with cancellation protection. Unfortanately you find yourself in this lousy spot. You can try to call Carnival and plead your case and ask for a future cruise credit instead of a refund.

Edited by arush5268d

So, we are booked on the Breeze in a couple weeks with my parents. Today my stepdad had a heart attack and was urged not to go anymore. No one has insurance since we did not see this coming. Since we are so close to leaving, is there anything that can be done for my parents to get money back or credit for another trip at a later date or whatever??? Clearly we should have had insurance but do not so would like other helpful answers if anyone has one other than "should have gotten insurance" Thanks:)

So sorry about your Dad. I would call. Some people have posted that they have had luck, but most do not, unfortunately. Sincerely hope it all works out.

Most times carnival will work with you and you won't find proof of it here. Good news and deeds get buried in favor of horror and outrage.

If you want a refund, that is harder, but if you call and explain and plan to move the cruise to a later cruise, they will often move the booking to a future one with a change fee (usually $50/person)

Another point is, what are the doctors saying about his condition? Very often they can work with patients and often, a cruise with either bloodwork or monitoring on the ship is fine.

My husband had a massive pulmonary embolisms blocking both blood vessels from his heart to both lungs. Less than 5 weeks later, we flew to Europe for the first cruise on the Breeze. He carried his medical records if needed, and was still on injectable blood thinners and require bloodwork every day. It was done on the ship - his doctor gave him a chart to adjust his medication based on the bloodwork results which we did. We had a great cruise, and we still cruise about 10 times a year. He is still on meds and gets his bloodwork done on the ship when we cruise.

There is a possibility that he could go on the cruise without a problem, or work with Carnival to postpone until a later date. You can also go yourself and just take them off the reservation.

Call the cruiseline and work with them, you might be pleasantly surprised, especially if you approach them with an attitude of "can we work something out," - usually the answer is yes.

Good Luck.

If every person that had a heart attack history stopped cruising, the number of cruisers would be reduced.

My hubby cruised very close to a heart attack. He felt he was not going to spend his life not going anywhere. It's real easy for a doctor to say don't go, he's likely covering himself by saying this. Speak with a doctor again, find out the specifics of why he's not giving his blessings. After all, it's easy for a doctor to say don't go, it's not him being told don't go.

Sorry to hear about your step-dad and hope you have a good outcome.

Most likely Carnival will let them pay a change fee and pick a future cruise, or issue them a credit minus a change fee to choose a cruise later. Do you know what fare type they booked under? Each fare type has its own rules that affect cancellations.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

If every person that had a heart attack history stopped cruising, the number of cruisers would be reduced.

My hubby cruised very close to a heart attack. He felt he was not going to spend his life not going anywhere. It's real easy for a doctor to say don't go, he's likely covering himself by saying this. Speak with a doctor again, find out the specifics of why he's not giving his blessings. After all, it's easy for a doctor to say don't go, it's not him being told don't go.

This. Solid advice but there is one thing I would like to point out to the OP - there may be a reason for you being told not to go other than the doctor pulling a CYA. Chances are if this is the case then you know about it already - such as needing a follow up cath, needing surgery or other.

The truth is you can't stop living because you lived through a heart attack. You should start living! I am assuming that he had a very mild and may not have even know about it at the time. Again - just assuming this because you don't seem overly concerned.

This. Solid advice but there is one thing I would like to point out to the OP - there may be a reason for you being told not to go other than the doctor pulling a CYA. Chances are if this is the case then you know about it already - such as needing a follow up cath, needing surgery or other.

The truth is you can't stop living because you lived through a heart attack. You should start living! I am assuming that he had a very mild and may not have even know about it at the time. Again - just assuming this because you don't seem overly concerned.

I also mentioned speaking with the doctor as to the "specifics". Everyone is different. My hubby started with heart attacks in 1983 (at age 43), had 2 open heart surgeries, stents placed at other times, a device to restart the heart if needed called a defibrillator. He cruised off an on for 25 years till cancer got him in 2011.

The real truth in life is that no one ever "sees it coming"!

That is the purpose of having insurance.

It sounds logical that a large corporation like Carnival would work with your family to postpone this cruise until perhaps they can go again. I doubt if you would get any refund but anything is possible.

I agree with another poster about that the doctor not recommending you go on the cruise..for sure!!

Unfortunately there is a good chance that there could be a second MI ( heart attack) and this was was the warning of things to come..

so what can you do..

Well check with your CC company to see if there is trip cancellation insurance on your card ( we do). Contact Carnival special service/ guest services dept and explain what happened( you may need some documentations or may not) more then likely like others have said .. they will give you an FCC to use with in 2 years or allow you to change the people going with you for a small fee..

My thoughts and prayers are with your family

Most times carnival will work with you and you won't find proof of it here. Good news and deeds get buried in favor of horror and outrage.

If you want a refund, that is harder, but if you call and explain and plan to move the cruise to a later cruise, they will often move the booking to a future one with a change fee (usually $50/person)

Another point is, what are the doctors saying about his condition? Very often they can work with patients and often, a cruise with either bloodwork or monitoring on the ship is fine.

My husband had a massive pulmonary embolisms blocking both blood vessels from his heart to both lungs. Less than 5 weeks later, we flew to Europe for the first cruise on the Breeze. He carried his medical records if needed, and was still on injectable blood thinners and require bloodwork every day. It was done on the ship - his doctor gave him a chart to adjust his medication based on the bloodwork results which we did. We had a great cruise, and we still cruise about 10 times a year. He is still on meds and gets his bloodwork done on the ship when we cruise.

There is a possibility that he could go on the cruise without a problem, or work with Carnival to postpone until a later date. You can also go yourself and just take them off the reservation.

Call the cruiseline and work with them, you might be pleasantly surprised, especially if you approach them with an attitude of "can we work something out," - usually the answer is yes.

Good Luck.

Wow, what a nice post. Op, tkae these word to heart. Hope all works out well. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Good luck working with Carnival on postponing your cruise. Thank god the heart attack did not happen on the cruise.

I am 54 and had a heart attack about two years ago. I did a lot of research after my heart attack. I would highly recommend reading and following Dr. Ornish, and Dr. Esselstyn's programs. Both suggest a very low fat diet, low stress, and daily moderate exercise. The statistics from there studies are amazing. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months while eating as much as I want (only very healthy food). I can run further and lift more weight after two years on this program than I could when I was 30.

Books:

Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease

Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr. Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease

Thanks for all the input. Little background, this is not his first heart attack and he has cruised several times in the past few years with no problems. He has now had 2 surgeries in the past few weeks and in surgery yesterday had another heart attack, will not even leave the hospital for a few days. They were going to be gone for a month with 1 week being the cruise and "road tripping" for 3 weeks-leaving in just a matter of days and Dr wasn't comfortable with them going so quickly and being gone so long. Believe me-he does not want to cancel but we feel it would be safer to wait a few months.. We are still going to go just wondering if there was something the 2 of them can do about the situation. I will try some of the suggestions and see what happens. Thanks a lot.

Sorry to hear about the OP's position. And also sorry to hear about your hubbys cancer death.

Was he the Ruthless one ?

I also mentioned speaking with the doctor as to the "specifics". Everyone is different. My hubby started with heart attacks in 1983 (at age 43), had 2 open heart surgeries, stents placed at other times, a device to restart the heart if needed called a defibrillator. He cruised off an on for 25 years till cancer got him in 2011.

Thanks for all the input. Little background, this is not his first heart attack and he has cruised several times in the past few years with no problems. He has now had 2 surgeries in the past few weeks and in surgery yesterday had another heart attack, will not even leave the hospital for a few days. They were going to be gone for a month with 1 week being the cruise and "road tripping" for 3 weeks-leaving in just a matter of days and Dr wasn't comfortable with them going so quickly and being gone so long. Believe me-he does not want to cancel but we feel it would be safer to wait a few months.. We are still going to go just wondering if there was something the 2 of them can do about the situation. I will try some of the suggestions and see what happens. Thanks a lot.

I can see why the doctors don't want him to go. Call CCL and speak to a higher up, they really don't want the responsibility of a sick passenger. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to him.

What I don't get is why you don't take out insurance for a least him since he has pre-existing conditions and is a high risk of something happening. I am a diabetic with HBP all under control and the first thing I do after I pay my deposit for the cruise is buy insurance at least for myself.

I have a very cheap friend who goes on very cheap last minute cruises and takes her FIL with her. He is 92 years old and very frail, had a stroke a few years back, she always takes insurance out just for him and sometimes that's more expensive than the cruise. Last time he went they needed to medivac him and the insurance paid all.

It never hurts to call and ask, and ppl don't think that insurance is insurance against the impossible. I used to think the same but Dan has me convinced that anytime we travel we get it. Lesson learned here, I sure hope you can get future credit. Maybe you can get a name change for the cruise? I have no Idea. Can someone go in your dads place I mean.

This is why they have travel insurance with cancellation protection. Unfortanately you find yourself in this lousy spot. You can try to call Carnival and plead your case and ask for a future cruise credit instead of a refund.

Miss that part about not needing the "shoulda bought insurance part huh.

rub it in.

As others have stated, you may ask for a rescheduling of your cruise.

On a side note, my dh at 42 had a heart attack and a couple of stints placed.

We cruised not long after.

Now, when we cruise, I carry his stint card, all of his medical info has been scanned and on a thumb drive that goes in to ports with us.

Also, something to think about, if you have life insurance, check to see if medical evac. etc. is covered through them. If so, no need to purchase it separately.

Hope it all works out.