Private Area in Cozumel

rhinomike

We will be in Cozumel in 2 weeks. We have been there once while visiting Cancun. Didn't seem like there was much to do. We go to Cancun twice a year so we have done everything on the mainland. We have decided to stay on he island. We were thinking about going to a resort or beach area. We like to avoid the crowds. We don't mind paying a premium for that. Money is not an issue. Is there somewhere we can go where the crowds will be small or nonexistent. Maybe somewhere the kids cn play in the water while me and my wife lay around and eat chips and salsa......

Not sure how old your kids are - Playa Mia would be a good option if they are younger, or Mr. Sanchos (AI side - limited to 200 guests per day) if they are a little older. Good luck! :)

We have 4 boys. 13, 16, 17 and 18.

I even thought about renting a private home for the day with a chef.

I will look into your suggestions too. Thank you.

We will be in Cozumel in 2 weeks. We have been there once while visiting Cancun. Didn't seem like there was much to do. We go to Cancun twice a year so we have done everything on the mainland. We have decided to stay on he island. We were thinking about going to a resort or beach area. We like to avoid the crowds. We don't mind paying a premium for that. Money is not an issue. Is there somewhere we can go where the crowds will be small or nonexistent. Maybe somewhere the kids cn play in the water while me and my wife lay around and eat chips and salsa......

Since you are on Carnival have you looked at the ship excursion to La Casa en la Playa? There is a thread on this page http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877530. Not much info here but more reviews on Carnival website. I believe it was a private house with a chef which Carnival has opened up to a limited number (?) of guests.

Alternatively you could look at the thread "hire a driver for the day" and pick things of interest to you or ask for suggestions from the driver. If you want "rustic" isolated I would suggest perhaps looking into Punta Sur the lighthouse area on the southern tip where you have isolated beaches and snorkeling I believe although I haven't tried it and currents may be strong. Other isolated beach areas on east coast. Limited food and drink service although you could perhaps arrange something through Cozumel Chef.

Another rustic location could be the Pearl Farm excursion - google for details, but it would depend on how long your ship is in port as it is a distance from the pier.

A beach bar which is usually quieter because it is further from the piers, (therefore higher taxi fare) but has facilities is Playa Palancar http://www.buceopalancar.com/index_en.html - may offer more activities for the boys.

Since you are on Carnival have you looked at the ship excursion to La Casa en la Playa? There is a thread on this page http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877530. Not much info here but more reviews on Carnival website. I believe it was a private house with a chef which Carnival has opened up to a limited number (?) of guests.

Alternatively you could look at the thread "hire a driver for the day" and pick things of interest to you or ask for suggestions from the driver. If you want "rustic" isolated I would suggest perhaps looking into Punta Sur the lighthouse area on the southern tip where you have isolated beaches and snorkeling I believe although I haven't tried it and currents may be strong. Other isolated beach areas on east coast. Limited food and drink service although you could perhaps arrange something through Cozumel Chef.

Another rustic location could be the Pearl Farm excursion - google for details, but it would depend on how long your ship is in port as it is a distance from the pier.

A beach bar which is usually quieter because it is further from the piers, (therefore higher taxi fare) but has facilities is Playa Palancar http://www.buceopalancar.com/index_en.html - may offer more activities for the boys.

Thank you. It looks as if I waited too long. La Casa is sold out.

I am now looking into the Pearl Farm.

Might want to look at Playa Palancar. It is small and a bit farther away from the piers, so there is usually not that many people there. They have a nice beach there, plenty of places to relax and serve good food and drink.

Alternatively, you could catch a cab to the the eastside and hangout at Chen Rio or one of the other places on the beach. Cash only, but there is usually plenty of solitude.

Definitely sounds like Punta Sur would be perfect. We just returned from there a few weeks ago. We have gone there several times - LOVE it! There were 7 ships in port - ugh! We had Crescencio Lopez drive us. He even brought a cooler of beverages and local fruit to sample. We spent the day at Punta Sur. We climbed the lighthouse and viewed the crocodile lagoon briefly on the road to the beach. Then we spent a fabulous day at the beach. There is a very good reef off shore - tons of fish and coral. They have hammocks in the shade. There is a small restaurant/snack bar - amazing authentic food made fresh to order. Nothing is premade. We watched him cut the avocados and make delicious guacamole. Best of all - I think we saw 10 people the entire day! We feel like this is our secret spot. I think everyone likes to stay close to the pier. The drive is a little longer and the road is bumpy - but soooo worth it!

I can't get my photos to post, but if you send me your email, I'd be glad to send some to you.

• 1 month later...

I agree with #1 Travel mom. W just took the Casa en La Playa Excursion from Carnival Liberty and it was Awesome… Do you remember how they made the Guacamole? I was there watching him and commenting how simple it was yet…... I think I had too many Boom Boom's to remember! LOL Thanks

Harleymon

Punta Sur sounds fantastic....how much to cab from Carnivals pier for a family of four?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Prices from Puerta Maya

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/

(some Carnival ships dock downtown)

I am guessing this is a return rate which includes 2 hours ? waiting.

You would need to confirm and negotiate if you want different. There is an entrance fee to Punta Sur. You would need to arrange return transport since there will probably not be taxis waiting. We visited with a private driver that stayed with us.