How in the world have I never considered this before?

debbs0723

I'm currently planning my 5th cruise. 3rd with my family of 4. Long story short we always just look for an inside and use play money for the shore excursions, etc. I've been hemming and hawing over whether I should move us to a promenade or boardwalk view room because I liked the set up of the two couches for the kids rather than regular bed set up.

Just for grins this morning I look at what it would cost to get us two connecting rooms. Looks like a $400 difference to get a connecting room and put my kids in the other room? How have I never looked into this option? Would I pay an extra $1500 for a balcony? Personally, not at the age my kids are now when all they want to do is get the heck out of the room. Would I pay $400 extra to get those little wallet sores (13 and 10) their own room? .. um.. heck yea.

Who has done it this way? Were you happy with the choice?

Thanks,

Debbie

Edited by debbs0723

YES!!! Do it.

Connecting rooms (or even rooms near by) are the way to go. Two bathrooms and the added room is heaven!

BTW, you dont have to have connecting rooms, one can be right across the hall. Or, you can even have them down the hall a bit, but then your reservation will need to show you in one cabin, and your spouse in the other since you cannot book a cabin for just your kids alone. (In reality, you will sleep in your own cabin once on board).

I would not ever book 4 of us in a normal cabin. And, I have found that the price for 3rd and 4th cruisers in one cabin is oddly high - making the second cabin more attractive!

My wife and I have always booked two connecting balconies. The price difference you pay is not all that much different than having 4 in 1 room. RCL will let you book a balcony and the kids in a inside room as long as it is directly across the hall. That option will save you more money than 2 balconies. Having the extra bath is priceless.

Hard to go wrong with the extra bathroom and privacy. We've done it both ways and prefer the two rooms, when prices permit.

I swear that some day I will actually respond before you do, Bob. Although my answer will not likely be as accurate :)

We started doing this when our two boys were about this age, we do like balconies so usually put them in an inside directly opposite our cabin, but I know some feel more comfortable in connecting cabins.

As long as you set rules - like not inviting anyone into your cabin you should be fine.

Oh and probably best not too let them know they can order room service - we had to have a stern talk with our boys when they discovered room service and started ordering plates of chips and cookies. Not only did they have no cash to give the server a tip, they also caused more work for the cabin steward with crushed chips and crumbs on the cabin carpet.

I feel like an idiot that I have never even looked at this option. It looks like the connecting room right next to the one we already have is somehow in a cheaper category as well. Probably because it doesn't have the pullman or something. I'm dying over here that it took me 5 cruises to realize this option.

I would prefer connecting just because I'm overprotective of my kids but for the love of God. Seriously. I'm calling my agent. Maybe I should become an agent. I could look at this stuff all day.

Debbie

We booked connecting balconies on our cruise next year for our DDs who will be 23 and 17 at the time. I feel much more comfortable having connecting rooms than across the hall, who knows what's going on when you aren't in your cabin or in the middle of the night. Connecting cabins give me peace of mind.

The price of the insides were about $100 or $200 less than the connecting balcony, well worth the price - you can't put a price on having the connecting balcony versus across or down the hall.

Edited by ibcnusoon

I have always booked my children in a separate room after the first cruise we took and they drove me nuts. Same thing applies to hotel rooms, camping tents, or any other form of sleeping accommodations. :) For me, a "family vacation" isn't really a vacation, its a family "trip" (us parent's are always on the job!). So, any way I could mitigate the disruption (to the normal routine at home where they are in their own rooms and have their own bathroom), the better. Now they are 18 and 16, and i haven't regretted a single time I put them in their own space. We don't even have to worry now about them being in a connecting room anymore so it gets much easier. As long as they are within a few doors of me, we are good. They are, however, very responsible and well behaved on travel. If they were in any way unruly or untrustworthy, I would have reconsidered and made sure they were in with me or in a connecting room. In my opinion, go for it. You will probably be very glad you did!

I started doing this the last year or so. I travel with my mom and 2 sons, and now that my oldest is almost 16, he's really a grown up, and we just cannot share a cabin for 4 anymore. My mom needs some privacy, and she has some mobility challenges so she really prefers that the kids have their own space. We have done adjoining OV, connecting OV and this last cruise, got a great price on connecting balconies.

I would not have done it when they were younger, but they are now just shy of 16 and almost 11.5 so they are fine together.

We do that too. Extra bathroom and closet. But you do need to book one adult in each room. Then sleep where ever

No, you don't. Royal allows you to have the kids in their own room if they are adjoining, connecting or across the hall. Even a couple of doors away. So you don't have to put an adult in each room unless there is some sort of reason (like a promotion that gives you something if the adult is booked in the room with the child).

I have always booked my children in a separate room after the first cruise we took and they drove me nuts. Same thing applies to hotel rooms, camping tents, or any other form of sleeping accommodations. :) For me, a "family vacation" isn't really a vacation, its a family "trip" (us parent's are always on the job!). So, any way I could mitigate the disruption (to the normal routine at home where they are in their own rooms and have their own bathroom), the better. Now they are 18 and 16, and i haven't regretted a single time I put them in their own space. We don't even have to worry now about them being in a connecting room anymore so it gets much easier. As long as they are within a few doors of me, we are good. They are, however, very responsible and well behaved on travel. If they were in any way unruly or untrustworthy, I would have reconsidered and made sure they were in with me or in a connecting room. In my opinion, go for it. You will probably be very glad you did!

This is why we take two trips. The family vacation is really the kids vacation (and just a trip for us where we are making memories with our kids) and our vacation is our vacation. One usually cost significantly more than the other. Last year it was our European trip, this year it was the family disney cruise. Next year it will be our trip again (as a family we are flying to see family, then rent a car for a 3 day road trip) while Dh and I will likely do an Alaskan cruise.

So you don't have to put an adult in each room unless there is some sort of reason (like a promotion that gives you something if the adult is booked in the room with the child).

We did this for our upcoming cruise purely for a better rate. Grandparents are coming on this cruise with us and we have three balcony rooms - grandma & grandson one in room 1, grandpa & grandson two in room 2, and me and my husband in room 3. Doing it this way we got the 55+ rate on the two grandparent rooms rather than only getting it in one room if we booked them together.

Edited by orangepeel

On Independence, we actually got a connecting inside cabin to our balcony cabin. It is on deck nine all the way aft. I love my balcony and this was a great solution for us...loved the two bathroom and the privacy:)

sorry, not Independence..we were on Freedom:)

This now leads me to another question. I haven't had the best of luck finding two connecting cabins but my TA is researching further. What we have decided on is 1 of 3 options.

1.) 2 Central park view rooms dec 9 next door to each other. Even cheaper than I'm paying for 2 interiors now by $200.

2.) 2 Boardwalk view next door rooms deck 7 for about what I'm paying now.

Question: Would there be any major noise issues here? I had heard the boardwalk was pretty quiet and night and I thought Central park had live bands. We don't need it to be quiet necessarily before 11 p.m. or after maybe 8 am. Just in between, mainly for my parents sake who will be getting a 3rd room down the hall.

3.) Maybe an ocean balcony room across the hall from an interior for the kids and pay the difference if it isn't too high.

Thanks so much for the help. I might be now getting two rooms cheaper for the price of one.

Debbie

Royal allows you to have the kids in their own room if they are adjoining, connecting or across the hall. Even a couple of doors away. So you don't have to put an adult in each room unless there is some sort of reason (like a promotion that gives you something if the adult is booked in the room with the child).

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````

No problem. We often had ours in a cabin across the hall from us.

You'll especially enjoy the extra bathroom and space for clothes. :)

LuLu

~~~~

We have been putting our 2 kids in joining room since they were 5 & 8.

Now we have been sticking them across the hall in an inside so they we can have a balcony and don't have to listen to them.

The cabins are way to small to put 4 in a room.

I'm ready to slap myself up side the head for not considering this earlier but good news.

We were in just regular interior rooms. We just snagged two central park view rooms that are actually connecting and saved us $310. My parents made the move also and saved them $315. And these are savings over the "WOW" sale.

I'm very happy I finally looked into this option. I know the central park view the most amazing view as yes it does look like a hotel view, but I didn't book for the view. I booked for the space and the savings were just icing.

THANK YOU ALL so much for your help. Best news I've had in days.

Debbie

So, how much more did it end up costing getting the 2 rooms instead of just one? My in-laws are taking their 4 adult children and their families on Oasis in May. We are the only family of 3. There are 2 families of 4 and 1 family of 5. Each family has one cabin. I'm wondering if the family of 5, especially, should look at paying the difference to get an adjoining room for their kids.