Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

Has anyone else NOT received the notice about Splendor cruises being cancelled ? There are six of us ( three couples ) booked on the November 9, 2014 cruise. As of today, only one of us has been sent the letter that ouir cruise is cancelled. Span folders have been checked and nothing there. One of us did get a letter saying that a shore excursion

( FTTF ) was cancelled but that's all.

Once I saw it here on CC I tried calling Carnival's Guest Services which turned out to be a joke. The young lady I talked to confirmed the cruise was gone but when she called up my booking it was gone as well. When I asked about the money I had on deposit she didn't know anything and suggested I call Accounting after the holidays.

Due to a less then brilliant cruise on the Breeze in September the six of us have decieded we are done with Carnival at least until they get their act together and quite possibly forever.

Inspector Gadget

I haven't heard anything, either.

With the cancellation of my cruise, my Travel Agent contacted me by phone

and forwarded the email to me, we discussed if I wanted to rebook and when.

We re-booked, received the same price, she did everything.

While so many people always ask why people use one.

This is one of the reasons.

I pay the same price and get contacted sometimes for upsales that I use.

There are plenty of good ones out there!

Has anyone else NOT received the notice about Splendor cruises being cancelled ? There are six of us ( three couples ) booked on the November 9, 2014 cruise. As of today, only one of us has been sent the letter that ouir cruise is cancelled. Span folders have been checked and nothing there. One of us did get a letter saying that a shore excursion

( FTTF ) was cancelled but that's all.

Once I saw it here on CC I tried calling Carnival's Guest Services which turned out to be a joke. The young lady I talked to confirmed the cruise was gone but when she called up my booking it was gone as well. When I asked about the money I had on deposit she didn't know anything and suggested I call Accounting after the holidays.

Due to a less then brilliant cruise on the Breeze in September the six of us have decieded we are done with Carnival at least until they get their act together and quite possibly forever.

Inspector Gadget

we had b2b booked for feb 2015 was told nothing. we actually told our travel agent because he had received nothing and it is a very large travel agency

bia

You heard I here first, splendor wiil get 2.0 upgrades before coming back to ny

You're just joking right? Splendor's new home will be Miami. I'm currently booked on the repositioning cruise on November 1, 2014. It's leaving San Juan and will visit St. Croix, Martinique, Grenada, Dominica, and Grand Turk before calling Miami home.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

Splendor or another Carnival ship, I just hope Carnival does make it back to NY after the last Nov 2014 NY sailing even if it is only seasonally. I do hope Carnival can eventually make year round NY sailing work. I also am so over flying to the cruise port. :cool:

Splendor or another Carnival ship, I just hope Carnival does make it back to NY after the last Nov 2014 NY sailing even if it is only seasonally. I do hope Carnival can eventually make year round NY sailing work. I also am so over flying to the cruise port. :cool:

You might be out of luck. NCL and RCI are still there, but rumor has it, well there have been posts, that Carnival is backing out of the market bexause of the new laws for fuel. Don't know if other lines will follow suit, but if not, you'll have the other lines.

We were also going on the April 11 cancelled Sunshine cruise! We were able to get on the Norwegian cruise out of Barcelona on April 17. Great trip,but what a mess that cancellation created!We used our cruise credit to cruise with Carnival to Alaska this past September.

I noticed that you have done cruises with MSC. We are scheduled to cruise with them in May out of Venice. Could you tell me your experience with them. We have cruised with Costa in the Med before and loved both trips.

We took a B2B with MSC to replace our cancelled Sunshine cruise. I do give CCL credit for how they compensated for our out of pocket, but to promise us price protection was a joke. I did book a Caribbean cruise for February with the 25%, but my parents are not paying that much more than us... :( The 25% was not a big deal.

We enjoyed the MSC cruises, but did not spend a lot of time on the boat as these were port-intensive cruises in Europe. The experience IS different, and I've posted some thoughts in other threads if you search for me. :)

The ships were beautifully decorated. We enjoyed the food for the most part. Our room stewards were great. Our MDR staff were great with our DD (who is 5), but I do see how others could complain. I did have a run-in with one staff person at the desk, but her manager was fantastic!!

On our 12/1 Splendor sailing they were promoting some of the very sailings this thread is saying are now cancelled? What gives? The one way San Juan sailing was one of the sailings mentioned as part of the new itineraries for 2014.

Very confused :confused:

MARAPRINCE

On our 12/1 Splendor sailing they were promoting some of the very sailings this thread is saying are now cancelled? What gives? The one way San Juan sailing was one of the sailings mentioned as part of the new itineraries for 2014.

Very confused :confused:

MARAPRINCE

It changed. They were there, but I'm guessing the new rules for the fuel used changed all of that. You'll have an opportunity to do it, but only on October 24.

I don't quite understand why Red Hook isn't a wanted pier. it's new. modern, huge, easy to get to, a little less congested. What's the problem?

When they were building up the area and thought to put a cruise terminal there, the vision was for a high end shopping district in the port area. While the area has become nicer than when the cruise terminal was proposed, it's not really a nice area to just go for a stroll. DH and I are still kicking ourselves though for not buying an apartment there 11 or so years ago when they started to build up Red Hook.

When they were building up the area and thought to put a cruise terminal there,

the vision was for a high end shopping district in the port area.

While the area has become nicer than when the cruise terminal was proposed, it's not really a nice area to just go for a stroll.

DH and I are still kicking ourselves though for not buying an apartment there 11 or so years ago

when they started to build up Red Hook.

There's a nice IKEA at Red Hook!

IKEA-907.jpg

I don't understand why Carnival rarely seemed to sync its schedule with NYC city schools. None of the Splendor 14 sailings worked for midwinter or spring break. IIRC, Christmas this year was a bust too. I know people from the tri-state and farther out sail from NYC, but that is a huge population (not just families but teachers and staff) Carnival left to RCL, Celebrity, and NCL. (Which seemed to have much better sync with the calendar.)

I don't understand why Carnival rarely seemed to sync its schedule with NYC city schools. None of the Splendor 14 sailings worked for midwinter or spring break. IIRC, Christmas this year was a bust too. I know people from the tri-state and farther out sail from NYC, but that is a huge population (not just families but teachers and staff) Carnival left to RCL, Celebrity, and NCL. (Which seemed to have much better sync with the calendar.)

Judging by the amount of cancelled cruises that get posted frequently on CC, Carnival can't seem to sync it's scheduled with their own ships.

I hope you are right. Please provide a reliable source that Carnival is coming back to NYC seasonally.

it was posted on the cc homepage: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5663

Once the Caribbean season comes to an end, the ship will return to New York City, Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen told Cruise Critic.

Hi :)

I'd like to thank the two or three members that posted the link in regards

to Carnival returning to New York for seasonal sailings. I am looking forward

to viewing the May 2015 (and forward) itinerary's when they come out.

When reading the article, it does read as if Carnival is bringing the Splendor

back for the seasonal sailings (read the article below). However that can indeed change.

But for now, we have this information (not speculation) that was given to us a few times within

the many pages of this post. Here it is again...:)

The article is located at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5663

The text of the article reads:

Carnival Cruise Lines Returns to Seasonal New York Sailings

With the announcement that Carnival Splendor will reposition to South Florida beginning November 2014,

Carnival Cruise Lines is returning to its tradition of sailing only seasonally out of New York City.

Several months of cruises were canceled as a result of the decision to move the ship south.

The line had been sailing year round from New York since April 2012.

Splendor will become the line's seventh ship to be based in South Florida when it arrives in Miami on November 9, 2014.

The ship will then sail a series of week-long cruises alternating between the Eastern and Western Caribbean.

Once the Caribbean season comes to an end, (the ship) will return to New York City,

Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen told Cruise Critic.

According to Cruise Critic forum members, passengers on cancelled cruises will receive a $50 per person onboard credit

when they select another cruise. Their original pricing also will be protected on comparable sailings, in similar cabin categories.

The line did not give a reason for the switch.

--by Dori Saltzman, News Editor

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

We are very disappointed to learn that Carnival will no longer be sailing out of New York year-round. We won't even be left with an alternative port since Carnival is no longer homeporting in Boston, Baltimore, or Norfolk. Believe me we'd take the drive to any one of those ports if we had too.

First the Glory and now the Splendor... doesn't Florida have enough ships? On the bright side, maybe NYC will get a different Carnival ship every season. That would be a fun way to experience the Carnival fleet!