Search Engine

sprinkles

Hi all,

I'm not the most highly techno person by any means. But maybe someone can help me with this search engine. As you can see, I've been on here for awhile (actually before my listed date, as I could never figure out how to transfer my original posts when this site was changed up).

I've noticed for awhile now that the advanced search never seems to work anymore. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to get flamed for asking questions that have been repeatedly asked before but, this search engine is driving me nuts. Like now, if I do an advanced search for Grand Princess (title only) it says zero results. Same thing if I type in formal night (I'm trying to find out what night is the first formal on the 15 night Hawaii out of San Fran). Same thing is happening to me on the Hawaii board. Any help out there.

Thanks,
Tammy

LOL - OK Pam. But you and I have been on here the same amount of time, I just don't post as much. I may not post a lot, but use this board extensively when planning cruises and something has changed. Just trying to figure it out and I am under the gun, leaving in two weeks, I've set today aside to finish planning some things for this last minute cruise and just can't sit and read tons of pages. I also don't want to post questions that I know are on here and have someone tell me to do a search (when that's exactly what I am trying to do).

Thanks,
Tammy

P.S. just for fun I tried to search on google Grand Princess Hawaii formal nights and got results from 2003

The Grand hasn't been doing the HI cruise very long which is why you're not getting results, or current results. I did a search for the Star and here is the result. It'll be essentially the same on the Grand. Formal nights are always at the discretion of the Captain so they are subject to change:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40261107&postcount=2[/url]

OK, I don't get it - why am I the only one that is having this problem?

I just attempted an advanced search for Grand Princess under title only and it says sorry no matches. I get the same results no matter what board or what I put - any advanced search comes up "sorry no matches"

There's really no one else out there having this problem? There was a time when I ran a search like that, ALL posts with Grand Princess in the title would come up. Without all the other posts that may mention the Grand somewhere in the post.

Tammy

ps, I got my answer on formal night, but have other things to research, this is driving me nuts.

Hi Sprinkles, I'll attempt to give you some help.

Using advanced search can be perilous, especially if some of the default settings have somehow changed.

I'm assuming you click on the "Search This Forum" box on the right side near the top of the forum page and then click you on the "Advanced Search" link in the pop-up box.

From there you should get a whole new page which has all sorts of knobs and switches (ok, not really, that's how it would be in the old days) set this way:
-------------------------
Keywords: This is what you're looking for - your choice, below keywords, mine is set to "Search Entire Posts".

Search by User Name: Again, your choice. Below this "Find Posts by User" is selected and the exact name box is checked.

Under Search Options:

"Find Threads by Prefix" is set to "any Prefix"
"Find Threads With" is set to "at least" and 0 replies.
"Find Posts from" is set to "Any Date" and "and Newer"
"Sort Results by" is set to "Last Posting Date" and "in Descending Order"
"Show Results as" has "Threads" selected

Over in the forum selection box, for me, "Princess Cruises" is selected and the "Also search in child forums" box is checked.
-----------------
These are pretty general search parameters but they do currently return results for things like "Grand Princess". I suspect you somehow narrowed down your search parameters on a previous search and hit the "Go" button with "Save Search Preferences" selected in the adjacent box and now you've got some non-standard defaults that won't work for today's searches.

Review these and see if you see something there that is causing you to get no results. I'll be on and off the forum today as it's raining here in Arizona (go figure - no dry heat today) so outside chores are delayed! I'll check back to see if you got things working or need more help.

Thanks Beg, actually I know your name Lol. We were on the 28 day with you last year (we were also "Egyptians" on Halloween). Please say Hi to your dear wife for me (she and I talked quite a bit at the back of the ship - actually maybe I'll try and send her an email if it's still the same). How did you like your Australia cruise? It's still on our list, but we should have done it when we were still in LA, it will be harder to get to from here.

Anyway Thanks for the help, I looked at what you're talking about and can't seem to figure it out, I'll keep trying.

Tammy (also known as Tammy and Paul)

I was wondering if that was you. You moved to another state! Hope you two are adjusting well. A fresh start is always interesting.

Oz was wonderful. Great scenery, people and nature. I highly recommend it along with New Zealand. Would go back in a heartbeat. Even learned to like Vegemite.

Take a hard look at those detailed search settings. Failing that, try clearing your web-browser's cache and even maybe all the cookies.

Just to let you know, on google, you can set a date parameter for the search. After doing a search on google, go up to the search tools at the top, you will find a drop down box, click on the arrow beside anytime. Walla, you can set the time range for you search. Hope this helps.

P.S. just for fun I tried to search on google Grand Princess Hawaii formal nights and got results from 2003[/QUOTE]