Best cruise line for land/sea Disney World?

love2relax

Has anyone taken a cruise on a line other than Disney with a pre or post Disney World package? I took two cruises in the past, but both were years ago..and they were the Bahamas. I'm Bahama'd out. I am thinking of going with my brother's and sister's families next summer. I priced Disney, and they are WAY too expensive (and they are Bahamas cruises!) What I'd like to do is a short Western Caribbean cruise with at least two ports followed by the Disney World vacation, and Kennedy Space Center visit. The kids are teenagers, so we want to hit the water parks, Disney Studios, and Epcot. Has anyone done something like this on a cruise line other than Disney? I looked in RCCL's catalog, but it looks like the Bahamas again (and it looks like the stay is at a Hilton....not as close to the park as we'd like)! When we sailed on The Big Red Boat (before Disney cruise line existed) we were able to stay at the DIsney Yacht and Beach Club right by Epcot: VERY nice! Any advice would be appreciated.

We did this in 2003 and had a blast. We took the Carnival Inspiration out of Tampa (at the time, she sailed a 7 day Western route.....now I believe it's a 5 day cruise). Anyway, by not picking the newest, biggest ship, the price was reasonable (we also saved $ by booking a quad room, instead of 2 rooms). Anyway, after our great cruise, we rented a car and drove up to WDW (it's less than 90 minutes away). We stayed at the Coronado Springs resort....also wonderful, and had a great week there park hopping. My boys were 13 and 15 at the time. Have fun planning!!!!

PS.........I didn't buy a post cruise package through the cruise line. You will save money making your own arrangements. WDW sometimes has some great package deals for hotels/tickets; also be sure to check www.mousesavers.com for any other Disney/Florida discounts.

A couple years ago we did the western caribbean from Miami on Carnival Fascination and loved the 4 night cruise to Cozumel and Key West. It is only 3 hours north to Orlando. We will be doing the Western Caribbean from Miami for a week on Carnival Triump in February to Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We will follow that up by driving to Orlando again.

Are you sure you want to go to Florida during the summer? It is so very hot and humid--especially compared to California. February and March are great months at Disney and also a great time to cruise the western Caribbean. Cozumel is mid to upper 80's during the winter months. Disney would be 70-80 that time of year with low humidity.

Carnival Inspiration now alternates 4 and 5 night sailings from Tampa. The four night goes to Cozumel with a day at sea on either end. The five night goes to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. This is a great quick, reasonably priced cruise vacation - that doesn't go to the Bahamas - and is only 1 1/2 hours from Disney World.

Last year we flew to Orlando, had a limo drive us to WDW and stayed there for 5 days. We rented a car and drove to Fort Lauderdale for our Princess cruise. We flew home from Fort Lauderdale. We were glad that we had the Disney part first as we were so busy there, we enjoyed relaxing on the cruise. Two different types of holidays on the same vacation.

I do not think I would book this vacation as a package-- you could do it yourself for a lot cheaper.

Book a shorter cruise---and book the disney vacation seperately.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I appreciate the tips. My two other trips were booked as packages through the cruiselines, but I'm going to try the link that was suggested to do the Disney thing separately. As for the summer heat, I don't have much choice. I am a teacher who teachers for the regular school year. Late August through late June, so my only choice for vacations is in July or early August. My other two trips to WDW were during the summer too. It has been in the low 100's and sometimes high 90's for most of this week here. My brother's and sister's families may melt though. They are from the San Francisco Bay Area where it is MUCH cooler. The humidity doesn't seem to really bother me when I'm on vacation. It just makes me feel more tropical...and I can always swim/shower to cool off. I was looking at the 5 day cruises too since my other family members have never cruised before. But I like to vacation AFTER the cruise since I wear myself out on the ship trying to do everything, and getting NO SLEEP! Thanks again for the advice.

Archived