Chair hoggers Anyomus

fishycomics

LOL. This entire discussion along with the great picture of lounge pig just reminded me of the old adage 'pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered'. Anyway its called the Rule of Me. And I doubt there will ever be a perfect resolution to the issue at hand because their will always be self centered individuals that are completely oblivious to others.

Any idea that deck chair occupants (people actually utilizing the chairs) need to surrender their occupancy for others' use is absurd. IMO, If people are sufficiently motivated to get up at wee hours of the morning to stake a claim on a desirable chair location and then do indeed proceed use the chair continuously then I am 100% fine with them doing so. Me, call me a slug, but I lack the ambition to want to bother rolling out of bed at the crack of dawn to scramble for a deck chair. But I can't count the number of times I have witnessed people planting their flags so to speak on chairs in the early AM and then disappearing for prolonged periods to prepare for the day and eat a leisurely breakfast while waiting for the sun to reach its perfect angle. Those type early bird chair squatters are problematic and I think that crew should remove their towels and belongings. The idea that individuals should feel entitled to stake their claim on chairs for prolonged periods when they in fact are not or will not be using them is pernicious. Whatever reasonable efforts the cruise staff can make to free up those chairs up I applaud.

Just came to mind also is the several experiences on cruises where I have seen family groups control large blocks of chairs by working in shifts - grandparents, parents, children and extended family members all seemingly working out carefully crafted time share schemes in concert to ensure their chairs are effectively reserved for their exclusive use the entire day. What say you about that strategy?

So, it's okay for dozens of people to drop belongings on loungers (usually ship towels and books from the ship library) in the early morning hours, then show up after noon; sit in the sun for a bit, leave for where ever and never return? Meanwhile, other cruisers walk in circles trying to find an unclaimed lounger. I find this to be one of my most frustrating experiences with cruising and definitely think Celebrity should enforce a polite 30 min limit.

I think time share schemes are ok if the loungers are being used. However, if they are vacant for long periods of time the coordinator of that "group" should be informed that there is no saving loungers for use at a later time. I've seen people save a block in the sun, plus a block in the shade facing the pool, and a 3rd block alongside the windows.

So, it's okay for dozens of people to drop belongings on loungers (usually ship towels and books from the ship library) in the early morning hours, then show up after noon; sit in the sun for a bit, leave for where ever and never return? Meanwhile, other cruisers walk in circles trying to find an unclaimed lounger. I find this to be one of my most frustrating experiences with cruising and definitely think Celebrity should enforce a polite 30 min limit.

I think time share schemes are ok if the loungers are being used. However, if they are vacant for long periods of time the coordinator of that "group" should be informed that there is no saving loungers for use at a later time. I've seen people save a block in the sun, plus a block in the shade facing the pool, and a 3rd block alongside the windows.

On my last Celebrity cruise, there was a family of five who had a set of chairs saved in the sun and a set of chairs saved in the shade. Also, on that cruise, I couldn't believe it, but someone saved their chair with a towel and a kindle or Nook, not sure which one since I didn't get that close. Now that is trusting.

I'm lucky, I don't sit in the sun and have pretty much always been able to find a lounger in the shade so that I can people watch and read.

sitting in a chair or lounge will not be an issue at all. it is not chair hogging. hogging a chair is, and that is saving a chair next to you, that you are not using.

Single person, chair hogging, saving a line of chairs no one else....

Chair hogging is more like in a row, and they refuse to get up, slide a seat over, to make room for a couple to be together as a team, forcing separation, because some person in front with a bad hair dew blocks their view..

Chair hogging is not you sitting down for day in that chair. we just do not see it that way Lol :D

Most chair hogging is when people put their personal belongings on a chair and then leave for extended periods of time, sometimes for hours, and in extreme cases, never come back until they pick up their belongings and go back to their staterooms, having never used that lounger. On our 14 night South American cruise on Infinity I would take a brisk walk early every morning. Each and every morning I would see the same two people placing their belongings on prime loungers by the pool, then walk away. Hours later, when I was looking for a place to relax, those very same loungers would have the same items in the same places, untouched by the persons putting them there.

That was chair hogging. And that was blatant, self centered behavior by those two people.

DH and I like to go in the hot tubs. We also like to use the pool or thalassatherapy pool and sit on a lounger in the shade and read when not wet.

We are always getting up and down from our chairs but we will probably be using them for 3 to 4 hours.

Are we limited to the time we are swimming or hot tubbing because we are off our chairs?

What is the unspoken rule on this?

Unfortunately there is no unspoken rule that everyone would agree on.

To me the first part of the definition of "chair hogger" is very easy:

A chair hogger is a person who reserves chairs that they are not using for extended periods of time. "Not using" mean that the individuals are not sitting in the chairs, not in the immediate area, or have more than one chair reserved for each person.

The second part is harder to define and that is what is an extended period of time. Leaving to go to the bathroom or to quickly grab a new book sounds fine to me. Leaving for a few hours is not. But people will debate the time periods in between.

I think reserving a chair while swimming or in a hot tub in the immediate area is just fine and have no problem with this. I also have no issue with someone using a chair for hours or even all day as long as they are actually using the chair.

Edited by Lsimon

I am not disagreeing at all. Politeness, shivery may sill exist. If you take these actions to anything you can put to your imagination, there are people that will do just that..

And these are the one's that must cut the lines, their own world they live in. :D

DH and I like to go in the hot tubs. We also like to use the pool or thalassatherapy pool and sit on a lounger in the shade and read when not wet.

We are always getting up and down from our chairs but we will probably be using them for 3 to 4 hours.

Are we limited to the time we are swimming or hot tubbing because we are off our chairs?

I'm no expert and it is only my opinion that what you describe is not chogging as you occasionally are back in your lounger but if you really aren't spending time there but just as a spot to leave your things while you spend an hour in the pool - then technically it would be chogging. Gone more than 30 minutes and someone might have your things removed. :eek:

The people that I think should be ashamed are those that actually will go out in the middle of the night, BEFORE going to bed, put all their things out to hold their spot and then sleep till noon when stumble out to their lounge chairs.

The people that I think should be ashamed are those that actually will go out in the middle of the night, BEFORE going to bed, put all their things out to hold their spot and then sleep till noon when stumble out to their lounge chairs.

Such items are clearly lost and should be turned in to the front desk for safe keeping! :)

Hi Janet -- It's good to see you on the boards -- how are you doing? :)

IMHO -- if you're using the pool/hot-tub, you're not a "chog". ;) I agree with other posters that the dead give-away is a row of completely dry loungers, each with a clean towel and a carefully placed personal item, such as a paperback book, or ONE flip-flop. I think that X's pool butlers would recognize that someone currently using the pool/hot-tub would leave behind many personal items: a half-consumed drink, their pool cover-up, sunscreen, bags, seapass cards, etc. Plus, if you're frequently in and out of the pool, your towel(s) will probably be in less than pristine condition. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

IMHO -- if you're using the pool/hot-tub, you're not a "chog". ;) I agree with other posters that the dead give-away is a row of completely dry loungers, each with a clean towel and a carefully placed personal item, such as a paperback book, or ONE flip-flop. I think that X's pool butlers would recognize that someone currently using the pool/hot-tub would leave behind many personal items: a half-consumed drink, their pool cover-up, sunscreen, bags, seapass cards, etc. Plus, if you're frequently in and out of the pool, your towel(s) will probably one be in pristine condition. :cool:

Do people only leave one flip-flop, because they are afraid that if they left the pair, someone would take them? Are they walking or hopping around the ship with just one flip-flop on? Just wondering?

IMHO -- if you're using the pool/hot-tub, you're not a "chog". ;) I agree with other posters that the dead give-away is a row of completely dry loungers, each with a clean towel and a carefully placed personal item, such as a paperback book, or ONE flip-flop. I think that X's pool butlers would recognize that someone currently using the pool/hot-tub would leave behind many personal items: a half-consumed drink, their pool cover-up, sunscreen, bags, seapass cards, etc. Plus, if you're frequently in and out of the pool, your towel(s) will probably be in less than pristine condition. :cool:

I'm doing well, Suzanne. Thanks for asking. Hope you are both well and not snowed in up there in the PNW. Wishing you both a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year.

Do people only leave one flip-flop, because they are afraid that if they left the pair, someone would take them? Are they walking or hopping around the ship with just one flip-flop on? Just wondering?

I suspect that its mate is elsewhere, saving a second lounger... :)

I suspect that its mate is elsewhere, saving a second lounger... :)

Yes -- I'm afraid that's the exact scenario that most of us have witnessed, at one time or another.

But, I have to say that the mental image NLH Arizona conjured up will have me chuckling for the rest of the day! :D

I have no problem removing personal items that have been "abandoned". If you have not occupied your chair in over an hour and are not near enough to monitor your chair, I will promptly remove your belongings and turn them in to someone.

A few years ago we were looking for chairs and found two with "stuff" on them. We asked the gentlemann laying nearby if anyone had been there in a while. He said that no one had been there in over an hour. I removed their belongings and gave them to a pool steward. TWO hours a couple came by and told us we were in their chairs. I told them sorry, they were vacant when we arrived. They left in a huff....but sorry, that was blatant chair hogging and I have NO problem doing it again.

NOW, if you are in the hot tub or swimming and I begin to remove your things and you say, excuse me, those are our chairs, I will apologize and move on. It really is that simple!!