Chair hoggers Anyomus

fishycomics

As in the Indoor room it is by far the better place to enforce these rules. While at pool side, the rules do apply as well.

As the note says, and the discussion is about. Chair hogs, having " a Clip" does not mean you sre a "chair hog":p

fkazbd.jpg

14y3j1c.png

2ibnj2b.jpg

Edited by fishycomics

As in the Indoor room it is by far the better place to enforce these rules. While at pool side, the rules do apply as well.

As the note says, and the discussion is about. Chair hogs, having " a Clip" does not mean you sre a "chair hog":p

fkazbd.jpg

14y3j1c.png

2ibnj2b.jpg

Now lets see if Celebrity enforces it's printed policy.

Richard

it may be fighting words to the selected few.....

take a chair sit in it, get up for a little bit sit some more and then call it a day, share. Some people do not get that.

When outdoors like said about anything will go, while indoors, it will seem the same, you cannot just go to the Pool Bulter and say musical chairs, but you can say. do you mind clearing this off. if you can get the communications correct?

What I noticed when an aisle is blocked you will be asked to move! and so this lady did just that I wished I filmed it, because it was a site to see, but she taken a good hour to settle from the whole ordeal.

it may be fighting words to the selected few.....

take a chair sit in it, get up for a little bit sit some more and then call it a day, share. Some people do not get that.

Fighting words? Nope. But count DW and I as passengers that will find a nice chair in the morning (usually by 10) and stay in those chairs all day long! Yes that is right...."all day long." And we do this for more then 70 cruise days a year :). Some folks will sit in the Lido all day, others find a seat in a public room, and those mean awful folks (us) usually sit out on deck on a nice day, or at an indoor pool (if there is one) on a nasty day. Our passion on cruises is to read...and that is what we do in our chair with occasional dips in the pool. If we decide to leave our comfy chairs to do some kind of activity, we will totally vacate the chair and even clear away our towels.

Do we feel like chair hogs, criminals, etc? Nope. We are simply cruisers that like using a comfy deck chair for our reading, sunning, and swimming habit. So shoot us! :) From our own observations on more then 3 years of cruising we know that folks like us are not the problem when it comes to a shortage of deck chairs. The problem are those folks that simply toss stuff on a chair and then leave for other places. We even have watched folks grab a bunch of chairs, and then retire to a nearby table/chairs where they sit playing games with their friends (while their other chairs remain empty). Personally, if we wanted one of those chairs and did not see anyone using them for an hour we would simply remove the personal stuff and take the chair. We actually know folks who will take those personal things to a crew member and tell them they found the stuff laying around the deck (true) and are turning them into the "Lost and Found."

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I thought it had been too long since a chair hog thread had emerged :-) ! I am having thoughts of dragging my own anti-gravity chair to the ship. I could use it on my balcony and take it to the pool area and I dare any chair hog to plop their junk reading material and flip flops on it!

Hlitner: You are not chair hogs. Chair hogs are people who drop their stuff on chairs, sometimes many chairs, only to leave for extended periods of time, maybe even not returning at all. Those people are rude and thoughtless. My opinion is not popular, I know, but my motto is "move your feet lose your seat." Going to afternoon trivia? Great.....vacate your seat so someone else can enjoy the sunshine. Going back to your cabin for some afternoon delight....great.....vacate your seat. It really is a simple concept. Rude people just don't care about what's fair.

Having said that......not even chair hogs could ruin my cruise! Next up: Celebrity Equinox March 14, 2014

Now I have to move on. I'm going to Macy's tonight to reserve my parking place.....I may need it tomorrow. :-)

Fighting words? Nope. But count DW and I as passengers that will find a nice chair in the morning (usually by 10) and stay in those chairs all day long! Yes that is right...."all day long." And we do this for more then 70 cruise days a year :). Some folks will sit in the Lido all day, others find a seat in a public room, and those mean awful folks (us) usually sit out on deck on a nice day, or at an indoor pool (if there is one) on a nasty day. Our passion on cruises is to read...and that is what we do in our chair with occasional dips in the pool. If we decide to leave our comfy chairs to do some kind of activity, we will totally vacate the chair and even clear away our towels.

Do we feel like chair hogs, criminals, etc? Nope. We are simply cruisers that like using a comfy deck chair for our reading, sunning, and swimming habit. So shoot us! :) From our own observations on more then 3 years of cruising we know that folks like us are not the problem when it comes to a shortage of deck chairs. The problem are those folks that simply toss stuff on a chair and then leave for other places. We even have watched folks grab a bunch of chairs, and then retire to a nearby table/chairs where they sit playing games with their friends (while their other chairs remain empty). Personally, if we wanted one of those chairs and did not see anyone using them for an hour we would simply remove the personal stuff and take the chair. We actually know folks who will take those personal things to a crew member and tell them they found the stuff laying around the deck (true) and are turning them into the "Lost and Found."

Hank

Hank, couldn't agree with you more. If you are using that lounger, it is yours for however long you want to use it. No need to get up after a few hours so the late comers can have a lounger. As long as you are not leaving it for hours, while "holding" the chair with personal items, I see nothing wrong with using it as long as you desire.

To think that we are required to vacate the chair just so someone else can use it is as foolish as expecting that we be required to vacate our prime location stateroom that we reserved months in advance to get, so someone who booked at the last minute could enjoy it as well.

It's first come, first served, people. If someone wants a prime location, they need to make an effort to get to it first. You snooze, you loose. ;)

Edited by boogs

---To think that we are required to vacate the chair just so someone else can use it is as foolish as expecting that we be required to vacate our prime location stateroom that we reserved months in advance to get, so someone who booked at the last minute could enjoy it as well.

It's first come, first served, people. If someone wants a prime location, they need to make an effort to get to it first. You snooze, you loose. ;)

Yes but what about me? I can understand when you're talking about others but it really is all about me! That's what's important isn't it?

I totally agree there is no need to get up just to let someone else use your chair....that's silly. BUT, what's up for interpretation is "as long as you're not leaving it for hours". What is considered a reasonable length of time to leave your chair unoccupied? That answer is different for different people. Quick trip to the restroom? No problem, but leaving for a long period of time and "holding" your chair til you come back IS rude. Frankly the cruise lines need to determine what is an unreasonable length of time to leave an unoccupied lounger and enforce the rules.

Having done a 10 night cruise in Australia we decided 'chair hogging' is a cultural thing. 90% of the passengers were from down under. They sat in chairs when using them and left when not. It was marvelous and there were always chairs to be found.

Not sure how we will ever change this though.......:rolleyes:

Using a chair all day is not hogging!

The hogs take a chair and leave it with 's***' on it all day, most of the time there is nobody.

Hlitner, enjoy your reading. You don't fit the chair-hog profile

BUT, what's up for interpretation is "as long as you're not leaving it for hours". What is considered a reasonable length of time to leave your chair unoccupied? That answer is different for different people. Quick trip to the restroom? No problem, but leaving for a long period of time and "holding" your chair til you come back IS rude. Frankly the cruise lines need to determine what is an unreasonable length of time to leave an unoccupied lounger and enforce the rules.

Based on the note, it looks like Celebrity has determined it's 30 minutes, at least for wherever these chairs were. That seems fair to me for any location. Now they just need to enforce it. And I agree, if you're in the chair all day reading, you're not a chair hog! That's one of my favorite things to do as well. I just might need to get up to find a cold drink and a snack occasionally, or go to the restroom, but I promise I'll be back quickly. :D

I am so confused about this chair hog thing.

I did not realize that you could bring pets with you on a cruise. I thought the only animals allowed were therapy and guide dogs. Are these therapy hogs we are talking about that sit poolside with their owners ? And do they become upset in the MDR when they see pork dishes being served ? Finally do you get priority disembarkation if if you have a therapy hog ?

I am so confused about this chair hog thing.

I did not realize that you could bring pets with you on a cruise. I thought the only animals allowed were therapy and guide dogs. Are these therapy hogs we are talking about that sit poolside with their owners ? And do they become upset in the MDR when they see pork dishes being served ? Finally do you get priority disembarkation if if you have a therapy hog ?

Here is my therapy chair hog practicing for our next cruise. Her name is Miss Pigglesworth Hogginston.

phoca_thumb_l_dsu00017.jpg

Edited by swsfrail

Having done a 10 night cruise in Australia we decided 'chair hogging' is a cultural thing. 90% of the passengers were from down under. They sat in chairs when using them and left when not. It was marvelous and there were always chairs to be found.

Not sure how we will ever change this though.......:rolleyes:

Using a chair all day is not hogging!

The hogs take a chair and leave it with 's***' on it all day, most of the time there is nobody.

Hlitner, enjoy your reading. You don't fit the chair-hog profile

Agree, as an Aussie we just don't do it, even when staying at busy resorts etc, people get up and take their things then someone else sits down, it actually works :eek:

Here is my therapy chair hog practicing for our next cruise. Her name is Miss Pigglesworth Hogginston.

phoca_thumb_l_dsu00017.jpg

You win. Best post I've ever seen on CruiseCritic. EVER! :):):):):)

I don't have trouble because I'd much rather look at the ocean than a pool. I'd much rather look out than in. I last longer in shade than direct sun. I'd rather hear music from a distance than directly around me.

And I have zero trouble removing - or having removed - towels from an abandoned or "reserved" chair. If someone raises a fuss, I'll move. No biggie. Kindness goes a long way.

Based on the note, it looks like Celebrity has determined it's 30 minutes, at least for wherever these chairs were. That seems fair to me for any location. Now they just need to enforce it. And I agree, if you're in the chair all day reading, you're not a chair hog! That's one of my favorite things to do as well. I just might need to get up to find a cold drink and a snack occasionally, or go to the restroom, but I promise I'll be back quickly. :D

Thirty minutes seems fair to me too!!:):) I just hope they enforce the policy.

LOL. This entire discussion along with the great picture of lounge pig just reminded me of the old adage 'pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered'. Anyway its called the Rule of Me. And I doubt there will ever be a perfect resolution to the issue at hand because their will always be self centered individuals that are completely oblivious to others.

Any idea that deck chair occupants (people actually utilizing the chairs) need to surrender their occupancy for others' use is absurd. IMO, If people are sufficiently motivated to get up at wee hours of the morning to stake a claim on a desirable chair location and then do indeed proceed use the chair continuously then I am 100% fine with them doing so. Me, call me a slug, but I lack the ambition to want to bother rolling out of bed at the crack of dawn to scramble for a deck chair. But I can't count the number of times I have witnessed people planting their flags so to speak on chairs in the early AM and then disappearing for prolonged periods to prepare for the day and eat a leisurely breakfast while waiting for the sun to reach its perfect angle. Those type early bird chair squatters are problematic and I think that crew should remove their towels and belongings. The idea that individuals should feel entitled to stake their claim on chairs for prolonged periods when they in fact are not or will not be using them is pernicious. Whatever reasonable efforts the cruise staff can make to free up those chairs up I applaud.

Just came to mind also is the several experiences on cruises where I have seen family groups control large blocks of chairs by working in shifts - grandparents, parents, children and extended family members all seemingly working out carefully crafted time share schemes in concert to ensure their chairs are effectively reserved for their exclusive use the entire day. What say you about that strategy?

DH and I like to go in the hot tubs. We also like to use the pool or thalassatherapy pool and sit on a lounger in the shade and read when not wet.

We are always getting up and down from our chairs but we will probably be using them for 3 to 4 hours.

Are we limited to the time we are swimming or hot tubbing because we are off our chairs?

What is the unspoken rule on this?

sitting in a chair or lounge will not be an issue at all. it is not chair hogging. hogging a chair is, and that is saving a chair next to you, that you are not using.

Single person, chair hogging, saving a line of chairs no one else....

Chair hogging is more like in a row, and they refuse to get up, slide a seat over, to make room for a couple to be together as a team, forcing separation, because some person in front with a bad hair dew blocks their view..

Chair hogging is not you sitting down for day in that chair. we just do not see it that way Lol :D