Bruised Toenail

Jane2357

Back in August I dropped a metal pot lid on my big toe nail (OUCH) while helping my daughter unpack her wedding gifts. The blackish line of a bruise is only about 1/4 the way grown out of my toe nail. I've got 14 nights in the caribbean coming up for my 20th Anniv. cruise and I'm really mad because nothing seems to cover it short of going to really dark or black polish. Right now I'm wearing bright red and it shows through :( As I'm wearing formals and cocktail every night (red, black, mint green, plum and navy) I WAS going to get a French pedi. Does anyone know how I can cover this bruise? What color do you think would go with what I'm wearing on a warm weather cruise?

Oh and my dd suggested a fake toe nail be applied - would that stay on for 14 days of active cruising? What if I paint that toe black and then a zillion colors of light for the French look? Any experience or suggestions welcomed!

I think the new gel polish would cover it well. I've never gotten it on my toes, but I have done shellac on my toes with no problem. Talk to your nail tech and find out what they recommend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimicaj

My toenail is black from last April, a woman slammed her lounge chair down on my foot by accident. The black stripe is now at the top 1/4 of my big toe, hopefully it should be gone by this next Aprils cruise, from nail bed to tip it generally takes about a year to grow out.

It's happened to me before years ago (different circumstances) and I have never found anything but dark polish will cover it. My manicurist puts an extra coat of polish on that toe, I wear a dark pink or red color. The position of the bruise on me right now is such that even with dark polish, it looks like I have dirt under my toenail…icky looking.

I consider myself lucky, my sisters whole toenail turned black and fell off due to bruising.

Second the nail art option :)

In our area both big toes can be decorated for around $5.

There is a thread on toe art. IIRC it called 'Show us your Cruise Toes'.

ETA-- found it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1444566&highlight=toes

Edited by SadieN

Did you ever try soaking it in peroxide to at least fade it a little? peroxide tends to bleach everything and I'm thinking if it can take dried blood out of white clothes then maybe it would at least fade it a little?

first off, be glad you didn't lose the whole toenail. The french pedi will only draw attention to your feet. I would think unless someone with a foot fetish was staring at your feet :eek: a couple of coats of whatever color would do nicely.

Edited by Sherlock43031

Did you ever try soaking it in peroxide to at least fade it a little? peroxide tends to bleach everything and I'm thinking if it can take dried blood out of white clothes then maybe it would at least fade it a little?

I tried this…nothing. I even tried diluted bleach…nothing. The bruising is there until it grows out

I can guarantee that NO ONE will even notice your poor, bruised toenail! Folks really don't focus on a single toe! So...stop worrying about it...put a hot, opaque color on your tippy toes and enjoy your cruise! It's not going to make a difference to anyone but you!

Try using an opaque white nail polish as your base coat. Then apply a couple of coats of color over that.

And don't worry about it any further. No one except you will notice or care if some of the bruise shows through.

What about using nails stickers (or even decals) either several small ones or the larger whole nail ones like this about half way down the page. I think these ones are from Essie, but it will give you the idea

http://www.skimbacolifestyle.com/2013/01/nail-trends-for-2013.html

I've got snowflake ones on my nails at the moment. A coat of Seche Vite protects them and make thes them last longer

You'll also find some on Amazon and Ebay

Sandy in Spain

Sandy in Spain

Since it is your big toe, there is nothing taboo about having that one(errrr both big toes) different from the other 8.

You can do a fun island color on your 8 toes and your big toes can be that color with an elaborate design in black-like swirls. Or those jeweled appliqués.

Maybe something like the big toe in this photo, and then your other toes are bright green, gold or yellow?

http://vvcf.net/toe-nail-tips-lets-choose-colors/easy-toenail-art-designs/

While I think the nail decorations are cute on others - for me it is a little over the top :o I have found 2 nail colors that WILL totally cover the bruise and while I wouldn't normally select either of these - as they are kinda edgy - I think it will work with all of my colors.

butter London - Diamond Geezer - a silver metallic and butter London - Big Smoke - navy metallic

So I have options for cover that bruise. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

This happened to me a few years ago and it took over a year for the bruise to grow out/go away.. ugh!

I know you're not a fan of the toe designs, but they really do work if you're stuck on a french pedi. I had a girl do a pale pink color with white tips and then on each of my big toes, do a white swirl design that covered it up fairly well. She also lightly sprayed some white over my bruise to help cover it even further before she used the pale pink polish. Mine looked somewhat like the picture on the left, minus the flower.

http://www.womengirlsfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Hottest-French-Pedicure-Designs.1.jpg

If you looked close enough, you could still see a bit of my bruise but I was honestly the only one who noticed. I don't think people are going to be staring at your feet anyway :)

This happened to me a few years ago and it took over a year for the bruise to grow out/go away.. ugh!

I know you're not a fan of the toe designs, but they really do work if you're stuck on a french pedi. I had a girl do a pale pink color with white tips and then on each of my big toes, do a white swirl design that covered it up fairly well. She also lightly sprayed some white over my bruise to help cover it even further before she used the pale pink polish. Mine looked somewhat like the picture on the left, minus the flower.

http://www.womengirlsfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Hottest-French-Pedicure-Designs.1.jpg

If you looked close enough, you could still see a bit of my bruise but I was honestly the only one who noticed. I don't think people are going to be staring at your feet anyway :)

Very cute - both designs! I could just do that and have a design. My bruise though is black and is long sideways across the nail not far from the base. Purple bruise I could deal with - lol but mine looks like a fungus :eek: I think I might do the silver metallic for the 1st week (mint dress) and then get a pedi on board and go dark with the navy.

I had a blackened big toe also. probably bruised. Our Senior Center has a girl who cuts toe nails. Asked her what to do. Vicks Vapor rub(or generic equivalent), was answer. Put on at night for maybe a month. Used nail polish, just rubbed on top. Looked down one day when doing polish,black gone.Magic.