Medallion Lapel Pins... All Gone and 1-5 Star Lapel Pins...

IRL_Joanie

My DH has his fair share of Military Medals hard earned in Viet Nam.

There is no comparison to cruise line Momentos and Bronze Stars.

When a cruise line presents their guests with Medallions and Pins and runs a party to do so, there can be nothing wrong with that guest wearing that momento on that cruise line at the approriate time when the cruise line runs another party for them. JMO.......

I can't say I've ever seen anyone wearing a Mariners Medallion but for the day of Mariners Party where we have fun wearing ours. It means something to us and to the crew. I look at it as compliment to the crews on board. Clearly their hard work has been appreciated if we have chosen to return to their ships again and again. When we wear a Medallion representing 700+ days, crew have to be a bit proud of the wonderful job they have done providing us with such enjoyable cruises that we want more.

Another very well-put post. Thanks for sharing your ideas. I agree so much with your thoughts!

DH is very proud to wear his 700 day lapel pin when we cruise on formal nights and at the awards ceremony we both wear our medals proudly.

As to wearing the medals at the Mariner's lunch/brunch -- in the last couple of years we have chosen to attend only 2 of them that we attended and we did wear our medals with all pins on the ribbons.

Have we seen people wear their medals throughout the cruise? Yes - a couple of times.

Nice to hear that some wear their pins, Formal nights, Mariner's Receptions! Thanks for posting, KK.

It is all so silly (I know I get flamed for my opinion) and I will explain why. Pins are nice to look at (we have lots of different pins in a jewelry drawer at home) but why or where would you wear the things. I think we could probably find pins from over a dozen different lines (my favorite were the small pins given out by the old Marco Polo). DW thinks Pins that are boastful (i.e. "I have have more cruise days then you") are a bit tacky. To go on a HAL cruise and wear a HAL Pin says very little except "I cruise on HAL" seems redundant. When we have done longer HAL cruises nearly everyone on the ship owned pins. We have actually been on an HAL cruise where over 75% of the passengers were 4 or 5 Star Mariners...so those that boasted (by wearing their Pins or Medallions) were just preaching to the choir. Of course there is the usual onboard conversation that goes something like this, "I have 1400 days on HAL....how many days do you have.?" Or to put it like a child, "My dog is better then your dog." Just silly, boastful, and not very stylish (not that I am ever stylish). As to the Medallions, this is just another boastful item with nearly no use. Yes, some folks will pack the things and wear them around their neck at the Mariners Lunch (or similar event) so they can, again, be a bit boastful and say "look at me, I have cruised more then you." Now what might be more meaningful would be to wear those Medallions when you go on another cruise line so you can then boast, "I also cruise on HAL."

I should add that a large majority of HAL do not wear any of these tacky things and are actually quite modest. The last time we actually went to a Mariners lunch (a few years ago) we sat with a delightful couple who wore no pins, medallions, etc. We had a wonderful lunch with some great travel and family conversation. It was a total surprise to later discover they had the most days of anyone aboard....but they were very modest and did not want anyone to know. My kind of people.

Now the tiles are a different story and can be quite useful. As some have mentioned they can be used as coasters. We know somebody who did an entire wall (in a powder room) with the tiles. DW has ours piled near our fireplace...still in their white boxes where they will stay since she has not figured out any use for the things. Once the airlines imposed all their luggage restrictions we learned to pack right up to the maximum weight limits (I normally put 49 pounds in each checked bag) and put lots of heavy stuff in our carry-ons. So we soon found ourselves no longer taking the tiles (since we usually avoid the Mariner's Luncheon we do not even get them unless we ask).

And now we get to the discussion item that says "I earned that pin or medallion." Sure you did. So if you shop at Walmart every day and they give you a pin would you proudly wear your Walmart Pin so you can boast "I shop a lot at Walmart!" Probably not. But if you got a Pin or medallion for being a great customer of Bergdorf's or Saks....would you wear it to say "hey look at me, I shop at Bergdorf's or Saks!" My first thought is nope...nobody would be that tacky. But then I read this thread and wonder :)

Hank

Hank - I agree with you. Of course, I'm not much for drawing attention to myself. I've always found it a bit strange to see passengers wearing some type of Medallion around the ship every day, not just on Mariner brunch day. As far as having something to bring back the memeries of great HAL cruises, I'll just take a look at my photos.

Hank - I agree with you. Of course, I'm not much for drawing attention to myself. I've always found it a bit strange to see passengers wearing some type of Medallion around the ship every day, not just on Mariner brunch day. As far as having something to bring back the memeries of great HAL cruises, I'll just take a look at my photos.

Ditto. I think it's nice to go to the ceremony and be recognised for contributing so much to HAL's bottom line;) and it's nice to get your star pins. But I don't understand the need to wear medallions or whatever outside of those ceremonies. That, however, is my personal opinion, and others obviously like to show them off. It cannot in any way be compared to military medals and the person who earned the right to wear those and is proud of them.

Ditto. I think it's nice to go to the ceremony and be recognised for contributing so much to HAL's bottom line;) and it's nice to get your star pins. But I don't understand the need to wear medallions or whatever outside of those ceremonies. That, however, is my personal opinion, and others obviously like to show them off. It cannot in any way be compared to military medals and the person who earned the right to wear those and is proud of them.

I keep wondering why pax wear the medallions OUTSIDE of the Mariner parties. But it isn't my business, you know?

Not sure why the medallion and pins put so many pax's nose out of joint. If you see us wearing a pin, feel free to ask why we do.

I'm so pleased I received the Small Copper Lapel Pin when I received my Copper Medallion years ago. I much prefer to wear the pin to the Mariner's Brunch than my big, pretentious copper medallion. I like my copper pin much better than my ugly 4 star pin. I will also wear the copper pin to a VIP party.:)

I keep wondering why pax wear the medallions OUTSIDE of the Mariner parties. But it isn't my business, you know?

Not sure why the medallion and pins put so many pax's nose out of joint. If you see us wearing a pin, feel free to ask why we do.

I don't need to ask - I already said in my post that you quoted, that obviously some like to show them off.:)

I don't think other pax get their nose out of joint or think this is some "honor" they aren't capable of getting if they wish to. I think they just think it's rather silly to wear medallions and pins around when it isn't something given because it was "earned" by good deeds, bravery, community service, achievement of some kind or anything usually associated with medals. Cruise line medallions and pins are simply bought and paid for by those that have the money, time, and desire to vacation with one cruise line. Doesn't mean the wearer can't be proud to wear them, but also doesn't mean the onlooker might not be thinking "proud of what?".

Edited by peaches from georgia

I don't need to ask - I already said in my post that you quoted, that obviously some like to show them off.:)

I think you should be able to see that you could, possibly, be wrong about the showing off bit.

Really, how much do you know about strangers, their motivations, likes and dislikes? I think the idea that anyone wearing a pin or medallion is definitely doing it to show off is insulting.

Ok, I'll ask. Why do you wear a pin?

I think you should be able to see that you could, possibly, be wrong about the showing off bit.

Really, how much do you know about strangers, their motivations, likes and dislikes? I think the idea that anyone wearing a pin or medallion is definitely doing it to show off is insulting.

I'm not sure why you are picking my posts apart but let me try to make it clear again..... I don't CARE that anyone wants to show them off, that is simply the reasoning as to why they do wear them. They choose to show them off and it is their right. We were simply looking at motivation. I said I would not wear them, nor do I, outside of the ceremony. So what is it that I am wrong about?

I'm not sure why you are picking my posts apart but let me try to make it clear again..... I don't CARE that anyone wants to show them off, that is simply the reasoning as to why they do wear them. They choose to show them off and it is their right. We were simply looking at motivation. I said I would not wear them, nor do I, outside of the ceremony. So what is it that I am wrong about?

Your "simple reasoning" that pax wear them to show them off is a bit simplistic.

I understand that some pax may, in fact, be trying to show off, just as some pax may be really obnoxious. But you paint everyone with the same brush and that is unfair.

Thanks for your understanding that for some the pins and medallions represent pleasant memories, being part of the HAL culture, part of a history with the line. If you can't wear the pins/medallions on a HAL ship without being accused of "showing off", sheesh!

Anyways, Sail has said it best, so if you reread her posts, as well as KK's, you might see this point of view.

Thanks again.

Your "simple reasoning" that pax wear them to show them off is a bit simplistic.

I understand that some pax may, in fact, be trying to show off, just as some pax may be really obnoxious. But you paint everyone with the same brush and that is unfair.

Thanks for your understanding that for some the pins and medallions represent pleasant memories, being part of the HAL culture, part of a history with the line. If you can't wear the pins/medallions on a HAL ship without being accused of "showing off", sheesh!

Anyways, Sail has said it best, so if you reread her posts, as well as KK's, you might see this point of view.

Thanks again.

I give up! I don't know what your problem is with me, but life is too short for this silly nit-picking. Happy New Year to you.

WOW! - What is going on here?

What is the big deal if people want to wear some pins?

I don't consider it ostentatious or anything else - each to their own.

For the record - DH and I have the medallions and other than the day they were awarded and we were invited to a medallion ceremony, we haven't worn them.

At the Mariner's brunch DH likes to wear his copper pin. It's not my cup of tea as it usually doesn't work with what I am wearing but it does with what he is wearing and looks nice on his jacket.

Anyone who has ever met my DH knows he is not a show off, he is quite humble and quiet - but he likes his 100 day pin and wears it proudly at the mariner luncheon. It's the only time it is used - but that's his/our choice.

I don't understand what the hard time is about it. It's a very quiet little piece - not obvious - so what is the problem?

My comment had to do with passengers wearing their medallions around the ship day in and day out...not some unobtrusive pin on Mariner Brunch day. As other have said, it just looks silly.

Of course, not as silly as the people wearing bathrobes in the Lido for lunch and dinner, but that's another story.

That said, for all I know they could have bought the Medallion on ebay - they sell for pretty cheap.

My comment had to do with passengers wearing their medallions around the ship day in and day out...not some unobtrusive pin on Mariner Brunch day. As other have said, it just looks silly.

Of course, not as silly as the people wearing bathrobes in the Lido for lunch and dinner, but that's another story.

That said, for all I know they could have bought the Medallion on ebay - they sell for pretty cheap.

In all my cruises we have never seen anyone wearing a medallion outside of the mariner luncheon.

Just our experience of course. I don't know why anyone would want to wear them for the entire cruise :p

In all my cruises we have never seen anyone wearing a medallion outside of the mariner luncheon.

Just our experience of course. I don't know why anyone would want to wear them for the entire cruise :p

We have over 80 HAL cruises and I have never seen people wearing Medallions day in and day out. :D Like, Jacqui, I've only seen Mariners wearing them at Mariner Reception and/or Luncheon. But, really....... if someone wanted to wear their Medallion every moment they are on HAL ship, what harm are they doing anyone? Why shouldn't they if it makes them happy? Who really cares? :shurg:

With all the things people do these days to hurt each other, wearing a Medallion seems rather benign to me.

It is obvious that different people have different opinions about the perceived value of the Mariner program. Whereas some folks recognize the program as nothing more than a customer rewards program that rewards consumption, just as their grocery store, gas station, coffee shop and airline does, others view it as a symbol of HAL culture. For some the program has been hugely successful and for others, not so much.

WOW! - What is going on here?

What is the big deal if people want to wear some pins?

I don't consider it ostentatious or anything else - each to their own.

For the record - DH and I have the medallions and other than the day they were awarded and we were invited to a medallion ceremony, we haven't worn them.

At the Mariner's brunch DH likes to wear his copper pin. It's not my cup of tea as it usually doesn't work with what I am wearing but it does with what he is wearing and looks nice on his jacket.

Anyone who has ever met my DH knows he is not a show off, he is quite humble and quiet - but he likes his 100 day pin and wears it proudly at the mariner luncheon. It's the only time it is used - but that's his/our choice.

I don't understand what the hard time is about it. It's a very quiet little piece - not obvious - so what is the problem?

I think that for many the pins are actually ostentatious. Folks wear them to attract attention to the fact that they have sailed many, many times on a HAL cruise. The pins are a symbol of a consumer rewards program, where participants are rewarded for consumption and not for accomplishment. As others have noted, the rewards are earned by spending money, just as one earns air miles on their credit card. Feeling "proud" to wear them is "off putting" by many and a sign of one "showing off". I always feel grateful when I am on a HAL ship, but never "proud."

Mine are also in a drawer, we've never worn our pins. I have collected the tiles - use them as coasters. But I probably won't pick up any more, I have enough.

I do. ;)

Next series should be in production and out in a few months.

Happy New Year!

S.

Startwin, don't say that! We have something to look forward to. :D

Exactly! To each their own. :rolleyes:

I think that for many the pins are actually ostentatious. Folks wear them to attract attention to the fact that they have sailed many, many times on a HAL cruise. The pins are a symbol of a consumer rewards program, where participants are rewarded for consumption and not for accomplishment. As others have noted, the rewards are earned by spending money, just as one earns air miles on their credit card. Feeling "proud" to wear them is "off putting" by many and a sign of one "showing off". I always feel grateful when I am on a HAL ship, but never "proud."

each to their own. Your opinion is yours. Mine was stated. Wearing a pin symbolizing the number of days you have sailed is a very quiet statement and yes, some are proud of it. so be it. These are not the mariner pins - these are the pins representing the real days you have sailed to be clear.

Since you find that distasteful, I suppose you do not clap for the people that are announced that have sailed x days on your cruise either.

No worries - we all have choices -and opinions. I just don't like generalized ones

Wearing a pin symbolizing the number of days you have sailed is a very quiet statement and yes, some are proud of it. so be it. These are not the mariner pins - these are the pins representing the real days you have sailed to be clear.

Interesting. Now there's a distinction in the meaningfulness of the actual days sailed pins and the cruise credit days pins.

Wonder why? If the pins are about HAL culture or whatever, aren't both types of pins equally important?:confused: