December 2013 cruise review with many pictures

scubacruiserx2

Thank you for the feedback. I'm leaning towards Princess for the itinerary (would love to consider other options but can't afford that long a trip sadly). We have never sailed with them before but have head some positive feedback. However, our one concern will be the beds. My husband has had a couple of back surgeries and the comfort is important to us. More research for me :(.

Thanks again for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the feedback. I'm leaning towards Princess for the itinerary (would love to consider other options but can't afford that long a trip sadly). We have never sailed with them before but have head some positive feedback. However, our one concern will be the beds. My husband has had a couple of back surgeries and the comfort is important to us. More research for me :(.

Thanks again for the help.

We're glad to help. We just got back from a B2B cruise on the Caribbean Princess and loved it !

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a truly great trip guide for us as we plan on doing this itinerary in 2017, as we are booked for Antarctica, Sth Georgia and Falklands in 2016. You two make great travel guides and all your suggestions on clothes through to private guides and reading materials are fabulous, thank you both so much 😊 Wendy and David

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has been a truly great trip guide for us as we plan on doing this itinerary in 2017, as we are booked for Antarctica, Sth Georgia and Falklands in 2016. You two make great travel guides and all your suggestions on clothes through to private guides and reading materials are fabulous, thank you both so much 😊 Wendy and David

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you Wendy and David for the kind words :) :D This truly sounds like the adventure of a lifetime ! ! If we can be of further help , please ask !

We just booked the NCL Sun 31 day cruise from San Diego to Buenos Aires. I loved reading your review and I was wondering if it was posted somewhere without the dialogue.

Also it seemed that you booked your own excursions. If so would you be willing to share the companies you used and the cost.

The ports I am curious about are:

Arica Chile

Coquimbo Chile

Valparaiso Chile

Puerto Montt Chile

Puerto Chacabuco

Punta Arenas Chile

Ushuaia Argentina

Stanley Falkland Islands

Puerto Madryn Argentina

Montevideo Argentina

Thank you so much for the review you posted here.

Happy travels

• 2 weeks later...
We just booked the NCL Sun 31 day cruise from San Diego to Buenos Aires. I loved reading your review and I was wondering if it was posted somewhere without the dialogue.

Also it seemed that you booked your own excursions. If so would you be willing to share the companies you used and the cost.

The ports I am curious about are:

Arica Chile

Coquimbo Chile

Valparaiso Chile

Puerto Montt Chile

Puerto Chacabuco

Punta Arenas Chile

Ushuaia Argentina

Stanley Falkland Islands

Puerto Madryn Argentina

Montevideo Argentina

Thank you so much for the review you posted here.

I will be glad to pass on the information to you.

Please e-mail me at scubacruiserx2@gmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

scubacruiserx2,

I really enjoy reading your trip report and your gorgeous pictures. We are also considering a South America cruise (preferably including Antarctic) for 2016. As you mentioned the Feb 14, 2016 one from Celebrity seems to have great itinerary. However, the price is much more expensive than the others. I just wonder if it is really worth it or if the price may come down as it gets closer.

I also really like your post cruise trip to El Calafate; incredible glacier. I just wonder if you can share some info on how to do that trip. Where to find info on logistics (flight, lodge, rental car or bus, tours, etc.)?

Thanks very much for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you scubacruiserx2 for the great pictures and lots of lovely commentary.

My sister and I are about to take our cruise on Zaandam leaving Valparaiso on 30th Jan.

My biggest worry is the tender process at Puerto Montt. How long did it take from the time you got your tender ticket until you got ashore? I have a private tour booked and wonder if I will make it as the pick up time outside the dock is 9.30am.

any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you scubacruiserx2 for the great pictures and lots of lovely commentary.

My sister and I are about to take our cruise on Zaandam leaving Valparaiso on 30th Jan.

My biggest worry is the tender process at Puerto Montt. How long did it take from the time you got your tender ticket until you got ashore? I have a private tour booked and wonder if I will make it as the pick up time outside the dock is 9.30am.

any comments would be greatly appreciated.

You're welcome , and congratulations on your cruise ! We were going to do this cruise , this year but we got a really good price last year so off we went . To answer your question , we were on the first tender in Puerto Montt . We went down early to insure our place because we also had an early private tour and it's a long day and a long drive . In our case the tender wasn't full , so we left fairly quickly and partially empty . In our experience in South America , the guides always waited until we showed up - so no worries , O K ? Enjoy your cruise :) :D

scubacruiserx2,

I really enjoy reading your trip report and your gorgeous pictures. We are also considering a South America cruise (preferably including Antarctic) for 2016. As you mentioned the Feb 14, 2016 one from Celebrity seems to have great itinerary. However, the price is much more expensive than the others. I just wonder if it is really worth it or if the price may come down as it gets closer.

I also really like your post cruise trip to El Calafate; incredible glacier. I just wonder if you can share some info on how to do that trip. Where to find info on logistics (flight, lodge, rental car or bus, tours, etc.)?

Thanks very much for your help!

Sorry about the delayed answer but if you want some details on El Calafate , just email us @ scubacruiserx2 @gmail.com

You're welcome , and congratulations on your cruise ! We were going to do this cruise , this year but we got a really good price last year so off we went . To answer your question , we were on the first tender in Puerto Montt . We went down early to insure our place because we also had an early private tour and it's a long day and a long drive . In our case the tender wasn't full , so we left fairly quickly and partially empty . In our experience in South America , the guides always waited until we showed up - so no worries , O K ? Enjoy your cruise :) :D

Thank you so much, this has calmed me down a great deal.:) Thank you for your good wishes. I think we will have an amazing cruise judging from your pictures.

Thank you so much, this has calmed me down a great deal.:) Thank you for your good wishes. I think we will have an amazing cruise judging from your pictures.

Hopefully the weather will good - but it can change rapidly in the South , so warm layers there . And with 17 hours of sunlight , you may consider a sleeping mask . Enjoy your cruise ! :) :D

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I have spent the better part of today admiring your pictures and making notes.

We are booked on the Sun Princess, leaving from LA in December 2015. We will depart the ship in Rio in January 2016.

Shirley and Winston

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I have spent the better part of today admiring your pictures and making notes.

We are booked on the Sun Princess, leaving from LA in December 2015. We will depart the ship in Rio in January 2016.

Shirley and Winston

Thank you Shirley and Winston . Wow ! LA to Rio ? It sounds like you are doing the whole empanada .

• 3 weeks later...
Our first port after leaving Santiago was Puerto Montt . We had been here before and knew exactly what we wanted to do and see so we booked a private tour to accomplish as much as we could. The port requires a tender so we were down early to get tickets on the first tender and we were off .We were in port from 8 am to 5 pm and we had a lot of ground to cover. We drove along Lago Llanquihue ( Lake Yan kee way) and made a brief stop at a store. We continued along route 225 with the goal of photographing Osorno Volcano without cloud cover. Along route 225 there were numerous stops for road construction. We made a scenic view stop just ahead of another private group. This was our first view of the volcano (complete with some animals on the tennis court).

Hi Scubacruiser,

just read the first pages of your review. We will gofor the Zaandam Cruise in December :D:D

I love your pictures so far !! Thank you so much !!!

Were did you book your private tour ? It looks great and seems the right tour for us :)

Thank you again and maybe some questions will follow this one after reading more :D

Greets

Janine

Hi Scubacruiser,

just read the first pages of your review. We will gofor the Zaandam Cruise in December :D:D

I love your pictures so far !! Thank you so much !!!

Were did you book your private tour ? It looks great and seems the right tour for us :)

Thank you again and maybe some questions will follow this one after reading more :D

Greets

Janine

Guten Tag Janine . We spent 10 days in Munich and loved it ! It sounds like a great trip that you have planned to South America . We used Turismo Nuevo Mundo for several tours . Here's the one at Puerto Montt :

http://www.turismonuevomundo.com/en/paises-detalle.php?pais=3&ciudad=35&tour=142

Any more questions ? We're glad to help . :) :D

Any more questions ? We're glad to help . :) :D

It's me again !

We will be in Puerto Chacabuco in the 24th of december.

This is why some companys do not have tours this day.

Can you tell me more about about your tour ?

It seems like it was great. So maybe you can help us where you book it ?

I also like your tour in Castro.

And your pictures are great !!! Which camera do you use ?

My boyfriend also loves to take pictures with his camera and for our alaska and southamerica/antarctica trip this year I will buy a good one for myself also (only have a pocket camera now).

Greets

Janine

It's me again !

We will be in Puerto Chacabuco in the 24th of december.

This is why some companys do not have tours this day.

Can you tell me more about about your tour ?

It seems like it was great. So maybe you can help us where you book it ?

I also like your tour in Castro.

And your pictures are great !!! Which camera do you use ?

My boyfriend also loves to take pictures with his camera and for our alaska and southamerica/antarctica trip this year I will buy a good one for myself also (only have a pocket camera now).

Greets

Janine

Hello Janine , the closest that have been to Hanover was Lunberg , when our ship stopped in Hamburg . A very pretty area !

We used this company for Chacabuco :

http://www.southexcursions.com/chileshoreexcursions

We did the #1 tour . This was our second trip to South America , and we did the # 2 trip the first time . The # 2 trip may be more attractive to the first time visitor .

For Castro we used :

http://chiloetnico.cl/en/

I used 2 Canon SLR cameras the 100 D and the 600 D are the European version . A telephoto that is IS (image stabilized) is good for wildlife and the glaciers . And a wide angle is good also . I kept the lens mounted to each camera and switched between cameras instead of swapping lenses . If you're on a tight budget , or don't want to swap and carry a lot of equipment is a Bridge camera like the Panasonic FZ -200 , may be the answer.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras---point-and-shoot/bridge-cameras/dmc-fz200eb.html

Nikon and Canon also make bridge cameras . Happy shooting ! :) :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi scubacruiserx2!

I just want to thank you for your wonderful trip report and your amazing photos. My husband and I are on Oceania's Marina's 16 day Southernmost Wonders cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso starting Dec. 22nd, and although I was jazzed about this cruise before reading your trip report, I am even more excited now!:D The itineray includes Punta del Este, Puerto Madryn, Port Stanley, Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Laguna San Rafael, Puerto Chacabuco and Puerto Montt, a well as 2 days cruising the Chilean Fjords, so there will be penguins and glaciers! And thanks to you, I hope my husband, an avid photographer, will upgrade his camera equipment to make sure he can capture the sights the way you did - splendidly!

Before we board in Buenos Aires, we will be spending two days at Iguazu Falls - have you been there? I hear it is something not to be missed.

Again - thanks for sharing your experiences and pictures - they are so helpful and add a great deal to the anticipation of our trip around the Horn!

Hi scubacruiserx2!

I just want to thank you for your wonderful trip report and your amazing photos. My husband and I are on Oceania's Marina's 16 day Southernmost Wonders cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso starting Dec. 22nd, and although I was jazzed about this cruise before reading your trip report, I am even more excited now!:D The itineray includes Punta del Este, Puerto Madryn, Port Stanley, Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Laguna San Rafael, Puerto Chacabuco and Puerto Montt, a well as 2 days cruising the Chilean Fjords, so there will be penguins and glaciers! And thanks to you, I hope my husband, an avid photographer, will upgrade his camera equipment to make sure he can capture the sights the way you did - splendidly!

Before we board in Buenos Aires, we will be spending two days at Iguazu Falls - have you been there? I hear it is something not to be missed.

Again - thanks for sharing your experiences and pictures - they are so helpful and add a great deal to the anticipation of our trip around the Horn!

Wow thank you , your character is truly befitting of your name - Angel !

Your cruise sounds fantastic ! The penguins of Port Stanley , Puerto Madryn and the glacier of Laguna San Rafael are all amazing . We had to choose between Iguazu and El Calafate - a choice that we hated to make ! We have seen some great photos and video from there and a number of our fellow passengers raved about the falls . ! I'm sooo happy that my wife encouraged me to upgrade my cameras :)

I was playing around with my photo editing tool and put together some of the photos in a collage - suitable for framing !

8fc34077-29b7-4037-9e03-8fcd38e37df2_zps8f42da1d.jpg

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any , OK ? :) :D

• 2 months later...
"Our first port after leaving Santiago was Puerto Montt . We had been here before and knew exactly what we wanted to do and see so we booked a private tour to accomplish as much as we could. The port requires a tender so we were down early to get tickets on the first tender and we were off ."

I really enjoyed your review and beautiful photographs. Do you recall the name of your private guide/tour company for Puerto Montt?

• 4 weeks later...
"Our first port after leaving Santiago was Puerto Montt . We had been here before and knew exactly what we wanted to do and see so we booked a private tour to accomplish as much as we could. The port requires a tender so we were down early to get tickets on the first tender and we were off ."

I really enjoyed your review and beautiful photographs. Do you recall the name of your private guide/tour company for Puerto Montt?

Thanks , can we call you by you first name picky ? Yes , it was Turismo Nuevo Mundo . ;)