supervised kids not allowed in any jacuzzis?

jr72

Why would you ever subject a five year old body to the extreme trauma of water over 100 degrees?

Because it was 90 degrees and we tested the temperature with a hot tub thermometer, there we go again with assumptions.

You think I'm an idiot? How do you know the temperature of that hot tub on that cruise on that ship? :eek: give me strength

Now if this was a summer cruise in a wintery place, you all have a change in heart......

I would be wit the kids in a dining room over some nagging person complaining each and every meal, "do you have tarragon dressing" at least the kids be talking about.....

life is short to worry bout... nah you never get it.!

Now if this was a summer cruise in a wintery place, you all have a change in heart......

I would be wit the kids in a dining room over some nagging person complaining each and every meal, "do you have tarragon dressing" at least the kids be talking about.....

life is short to worry bout... nah you never get it.!

It was a November cruise in the med :) we took the thermometer for the main pool as well incase it was too cold for her (it wasn't) as she only spent about ten mins max in the hot tub. The solarium ones were hotter (of course she never went in there)

The Op is on their cruise, more importantly enjoying their time, and not let some cruise staff ruin it for them. If the guests do not mind, you have a right to see the capt'n, and state your problems to him.

We assume you are kidding. If not, you should understand that things do not work like that on cruise ships. The Captain does not normally get involved in typical passenger "whining" as that comes under the control the Hotel Manager (who is in charge of everything having to do with the passengers). And no, you do not have any "right" to state your problems to the Captain..unless the Captain is in the mood for some amusement (listening to passengers whine).

In fact, if you do not want to be taken seriously all you have to do is go to Guest Relations and "demand" to speak to the Captain. There is a "chain of command/and complaining" on ships and one is well advised to follow the proper protocol if they want to be taken seriously.

Hank

We assume you are kidding. If not, you should understand that things do not work like that on cruise ships. The Captain does not normally get involved in typical passenger "whining" as that comes under the control the Hotel Manager (who is in charge of everything having to do with the passengers). And no, you do not have any "right" to state your problems to the Captain..unless the Captain is in the mood for some amusement (listening to passengers whine).

In fact, if you do not want to be taken seriously all you have to do is go to Guest Relations and "demand" to speak to the Captain. There is a "chain of command/and complaining" on ships and one is well advised to follow the proper protocol if they want to be taken seriously.

Hank

I would add that if the rules prevent a certain activity, then no amount of "if the guests do not mind" and "not let some cruise staff ruin it for them" matters, because, in very simple words, rules are rules, and no matter what fishycomics thinks, the rules must be adhered to by everyone and not ignored by people he seems to think should be able to do so. Each and every passenger on board are ALL on "their cruise", and a few who think they come first should not in any way have the right, nor opportunity, to place themselves first at the risk of interfering with everyone else's cruise enjoyment.

Edited by boogs

I've owned two hot tubs and in the literature for both it warns about young children's body temperatures rising too quickly in hot tubs.

Yes, but the OP's kids are 10 and 12 - not young children. I don't know about theirs, but my 10 year old is 5'2" and 108 pounds. He's bigger than my 30 year old sister-in-law. The health recommendations I've seen are for kids 5 and under. And my kids know how to sit quietly and still and make polite conversation if they are to be allowed in - I would never allow them to splash and wiggle and be active in a hot tub with other adults. And I would never allow them in an area that is only for adults. I'm not the OP, and I'm not bringing my kids on my cruise so it doesn't matter, but just felt like I had to throw my perspective in for the benefit of the OP? :eek:

I've owned two hot tubs and in the literature for both it warns about young children's body temperatures rising too quickly in hot tubs.

No under 5's + temps need to be low like kiddies bath water 90 is ok max of 15 minutes. I own a hot tub as well.

It's nothing to do with the tub it's the water temp that's dangerous, same as a bath that's too hot.

All these experts! :rolleyes:

Why would you refuse to get into a hot tub just because there are kids present, assuming they are well behaved? :confused: Just curious.

Because kids are walking petri dishes and far too many times I have seen younger ones pee in the pool or hot tub because they don't want to miss any fun by heading to the restroom.

Yes, but the OP's kids are 10 and 12 - not young children. I don't know about theirs, but my 10 year old is 5'2" and 108 pounds. He's bigger than my 30 year old sister-in-law. The health recommendations I've seen are for kids 5 and under. And my kids know how to sit quietly and still and make polite conversation if they are to be allowed in - I would never allow them to splash and wiggle and be active in a hot tub with other adults. And I would never allow them in an area that is only for adults. I'm not the OP, and I'm not bringing my kids on my cruise so it doesn't matter, but just felt like I had to throw my perspective in for the benefit of the OP? :eek:

They may weigh 108 pounds but they still have the skin of a 10 year old which is VERY sensitive to heat and a hot tub is too high a temperature for young skin. They burn too easily.

Because kids are walking petri dishes and far too many times I have seen younger ones pee in the pool or hot tub because they don't want to miss any fun by heading to the restroom.

Like some adults I've observed, especially after they've enjoyed a few drinks! :)

some do some don't that is the world we all live in. They speak so many languages when the 10:AM announcement comes on...

And all the signs are posted in ???

A select few follow rules and most just get up, go in. even fully clothed.

In a perfect world, the hot tub will be empty...................

The key phrase in your statement is "assuming they are well behaved". Well behaved means different things to different people, especially for parents and their opinions of their children. When I use a hot tub, I am there to relax. Never have I ever seen a child of any age "relax" in a hot tub. No matter how "well behaved" they are considered by their parents, the fact is that they will squirm and figgit and stay pretty active in any pool, especially hot tubs due to their uniqueness. Kids can't sit still when they are trying to have fun, and if they are in a hot tub, they are trying to have fun. It's no fault of theirs - it's just the way kids are.

Sorry, but for this old gal, a hot tub is for relaxing and not having figgity, squirmy fun. I will not share a hot tub with kids.

Bingo. they dive under, they swim they bounce around they never ever EVER 'just sit' and my definition of well behaved is vastly different from most other people's. what many indulgent parents/adults consider 'harmless behavior and antics can actually be physically painful for me. such as the 'normal' noise level of your typical preschooler on up to pre teen.

Urne is sterile when it comes out. the fecal mater is what ruins it for everybody. and even I can admit that kids are not the only ones guilty of this. Adults will do it just as often.. drunk or not.

Personally, we have no problem with teens in the hot tub, but parents need to be careful with children. Most hot tubs are hot (not always the case on cruises) and children can have problems dealing with the heat. We have our own spa at home which we keep at 102-103 degrees (Fahrenheit). But when our friends stayed here with their 10 year old we turned the hot tub temp down to 87 degrees to make sure the child was safe. Cruise ships will sometimes limit their hot tubs to about 100 degrees...but we have seen exceptions and they would be dangerous for many children.

Hank

The X rule says under 16 must be "supervised", not accompanied, by an adult. A parent or guardian may interpret that to mean if I can see my kids from afar, then they are "supervised". Another adult in the hot tub with unaccompanied kids may disagree.

I am so happy...this is wonderful news...NO kids in hot tubs..maybe the pool is next...oh wow.......and maybe the main dining room will follow..hooray for celebrity....

thank you so much for posting this news....

maybe the day will come when the celebrity ships will be adult only, especially when off holidays...oh why not make that rule right now, kids are allowed only on government sanctioned school holidays, that missing school to be on a cruise is a a big no no..and home schooled are just out of luck....

but hey disney and royal carib will still welcome kids anytime....

oh I can dream....

Or you can go cruise on a cruise line that doesn't cater to children, like Azamara or Viking Ocean Cruises.

Celebrity has a children program. They have cabins that sleep 3 and 4. Children are going to be on board if you like it or not.

Instead of trying to change Celebrity to something it's not, why don't you switch to a different line...

Or you can go cruise on a cruise line that doesn't cater to children, like Azamara or Viking Ocean Cruises.

Celebrity has a children program. They have cabins that sleep 3 and 4. Children are going to be on board if you like it or not.

Instead of trying to change Celebrity to something it's not, why don't you switch to a different line...

it is a pleasure to sail on celebrity when there are virtually no kids on board .....and we have been lucky to find cruises like that...but we have also been unlucky to be on cruises with kids, one out of several comes to mind, when two couples insisted that their babes in arms be in the hot tub....these parents , swearing at the top of their lungs when told to read the rules...the babies were in diapers...security was called....they were asked to leave, all the while shouting obscenities.....and yes the hot tubs were emptied not to be refilled for the rest of the week....

whenever we sail celebrity and there are very few kids on board, I always compliment celebrity for not providing the amenities that attract families with kids ....kids program or not....

hey get couple time..leave kids, babes at home....you deserve it and once you try it you will know you have trully had a holiday...

hey get couple time..leave kids, babes at home....you deserve it and once you try it you will know you have trully had a holiday...

Funny, I never realized that holidaying with my kids over the years, and now with my grandkids too, was something that I deserved a break from. DW and I didn't know that we had to be alone to "have trully (sic) had a holiday." Thanks for straightening us out! :)

Oh, should we cancel family Christmas too? Is it better without them around? :confused:

Edited by Fouremco

but we have also been unlucky to be on cruises with kids, one out of several comes to mind, when two couples insisted that their babes in arms be in the hot tub....these parents , swearing at the top of their lungs when told to read the rules...the babies were in diapers...security was called....they were asked to leave, all the while shouting obscenities.....and yes the hot tubs were emptied not to be refilled for the rest of the week....

Well, yes, this would upset me too. It's also on topic for this thread, since it's about hot tubs and kids. But it's really more of an example of badly behaving adults, and not wild children. Though it's true that that badly behaved children are generally related to parents not parenting.

I do have to say I was quite annoyed at the parents letting their kids in diapers swim in the pool on the Summit this past August. Especially since the cruise line was providing a large inflatable wading pool a few feet away. I've sailed on many cruises with my children while they were in diapers, and they never went in a pool. And I still don't let them go into hot tubs. However, I wasn't annoyed at the baby that was in the pool, I was annoyed at the inconsiderate parent.

whenever we sail celebrity and there are very few kids on board, I always compliment celebrity for not providing the amenities that attract families with kids ....kids program or not...

And because of this there are always going to be fewer children on Celebrity then on other lines. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed my cruise on Celebrity, and why I enjoy sailing on lines like Cunard. But they do have a children's program, and have cabins that encourage families to book on Celebrity. I'm just saying that if you want to see even fewer children, there are other lines that may meet your requirements better.

I enjoy traveling with my children. I was lucky enough as a child to travel with my parents (including a cruise), and I'm going to keep traveling with my own children. However, we have done some short trips without the kids, and we do have a 5 night cruise booked next fall w/o the kids. It will be our first "real" cruise without them. Unfortunately it's going to be on Royal Caribbean and not Celebrity. Hopefully I don't get annoyed by too many kids... maybe I should have taken my own advice :-)