TABC to begin collecting tax in Jan 2014 (MERGED THREADS)

SRV FAN

• 3 weeks later...

We recently returned home from back-to-back cruises out of Galveston. After going through customs our first week to take our dirty laundry and liquor to the car, we were approached by a lady asking if we had purchased any liquior. We said we only had the allowed amount and she said, "follow me please". At a little table at the exit of the terminal building she informed us there was a $3.75 state tax (effective 1/4/14) for each bottle of liquior we purchased. (There are also taxes on beer, wine, and cigarettes.) Definately changed our good purchase to a, "we could have bought it as cheap at home." After we reboarded the ship, we brought this to the attention of Guest Relations, the liquor store, and the shopping guide. All were convincingly ignorant of the fact.

Wanted to share this information to save others from having that surprise experience.

• 1 month later...

Just got off the Triumph last week. They were asking folks whether they had alcohol or not past customs. Unless you have the Carnival boxed liquor there is nothing preventing you from saying "no" and walking right out of the terminal, as I know many did.

Just got off the Triumph last week. They were asking folks whether they had alcohol or not past customs. Unless you have the Carnival boxed liquor there is nothing preventing you from saying "no" and walking right out of the terminal, as I know many did.

We just got off the Navigator on Sun. and the custom's agent did not ask us anything about alcohol or tobacco. I assume he looked at our declaration and knew we didn't buy any and that we were from Arkansas and not Texas.

It was the fastest we ever got through customs.

We just got off the Navigator on Sun. and the custom's agent did not ask us anything about alcohol or tobacco. I assume he looked at our declaration and knew we didn't buy any and that we were from Arkansas and not Texas.

It was the fastest we ever got through customs.

U.S. Customs does not care about your booze as long as it's less than the litre per person you're allowed. Texas is the one that cares. I know for my alcohol I save about $20 or more per bottle so the $3 or so that Texas collects still has me ahead by quite a bit.

Just got off Navigator today, disembarkation was a breeze!

Grab a porter for 5 bucks they have their own line, the regular lines were snaked all around. Anyway the customs officer asked alcohol or cigarettes and then on the way out the door another woman asked, all I had to say was "no ma'am " and pass right by :)

• 5 weeks later...

In case you haven't heard...

As of this past January, Texas has started charging import taxes at the port of Galveston on Liquor and Cigarettes, "with plans to extend to the Houston-Bayport facility in the fall of 2014.". :(:mad:

See press release here: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/press_releases/2013/20131220.asp

Here is the tax rates list: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp

Not horrible on liquor and wine ($3.25 - $3.75 per bottle), but smokers take notice: $15 per carton of cigarettes!:eek:

In case you haven't heard...

As of this past January, Texas has started charging import taxes at the port of Galveston on Liquor and Cigarettes, "with plans to extend to the Houston-Bayport facility in the fall of 2014.". :(:mad:

See press release here: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/press_releases/2013/20131220.asp

Here is the tax rates list: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp

Not horrible on liquor and wine ($3.25 - $3.75 per bottle), but smokers take notice: $15 per carton of cigarettes!:eek:

There was a very long thread about this previously. Only residents of Texas must pay the taxes. They've been doing this at the Mexican border for years.

It is also a "self-reporting" system currently in Galveston. After you proceed through US Customs, someone is randomly yelling out to go over to a counter to pay TX taxes if you have alcohol. I know many people that proceeded directly past it.

• 2 months later...

For those, such as myself, who cruise out of Galveston:

The direct link to this release is located here: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/pre...3/20131220.asp

TABC to begin collecting taxes at Texas seaports January 2014.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 20, 2013

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) will begin collecting personal importation taxes on alcohol and cigarettes from passengers returning from cruises in Galveston in 2014.

On January 4, 2014, cruise travelers disembarking out of the Port of Galveston will need to pay the tax for alcoholic beverages and cigarettes imported into the state that were purchased either on the ship's duty free store or at a foreign port of call. TABC currently operates 20 ports of entry collection facilities along the Texas-Mexico border where the tax is presently collected. During the recent legislative session, the agency was appropriated funding to begin tax collection of imported alcoholic beverages and cigarettes from seaport facilities. The Galveston Port facility will be the first seaport location where this tax will be collected with plans to extend to the Houston-Bayport facility in the fall of 2014.

Section 107.07 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code, in effect for over 40 years, requires that each adult (21 years old and over) importing alcoholic beverages into the state for personal consumption pay the state tax and an administrative fee of $3.00. The law limits personal importation by an adult to once every 30 days with limits of: 1 gallon of distilled spirits, 3 gallons of wine, and 288 ounces of malt beverages (24 12-ounce containers). Persons importing alcoholic beverages must personally accompany the product as it enters the state. For a detailed list of the taxes for both cigarettes and alcoholic beverages go to http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp.

Tax collection points staffed with TABC personnel will be situated at both terminals 1 and 2 at the Galveston facility located where patrons come through the U.S. Customs secondary checkpoint. Passengers will be able to pay the taxes with either cash or credit cards.

TABC personnel have worked with Port of Galveston officials to ensure that the tax collection is done efficiently and with limited disruption of port operations and delays to the passengers.

For more information contact:

Karen Smithwick, Ports of Entry Director at 512-739-9801

Carla Rios, Ports of Entry Quality Assurance Analyst at 512-206-3351

Carolyn Beck, Director of Communications at 512-206-3347

I'm sure this will catch on and be at all cruise ports eventually. I don't bring any booze back so it doesn't really effect our cruising budgets.

Azmike480

That's pretty much how I feel about it. The only people this really affects are the people who want to get something unique from a port that isn't offered in the states. I imagine those people would find it worth it to pay a few extra bucks for something that they can't get elsewhere.

I understood the rule to apply only to Texas residents or people who were not leaving the state within 24 hours. (I do understand that a lot of cruisers out of Galveston are Texans, so I'm not saying the rule doesn't impact lots of people.) In January, once you went through customs, there were people suggesting that if you had alcohol or cigarettes, you go to a window to pay taxes. But no specific lines, searches, declaration cards.

I understood the rule to apply only to Texas residents or people who were not leaving the state within 24 hours. (I do understand that a lot of cruisers out of Galveston are Texans, so I'm not saying the rule doesn't impact lots of people.) In January, once you went through customs, there were people suggesting that if you had alcohol or cigarettes, you go to a window to pay taxes. But no specific lines, searches, declaration cards.

Thats interesting! I personally love leaving from Galveston! Most people are from Texas or the surrounding states. They're the most layed back enjoyable people to be around. I just wish the airport was closer to the port!!

Maybe the tax revenue could be used to build Galveston International Airport!:D

We experienced this last week when we returned on the Magic. I only purchased two bottles of Big Black Dick's flavored rum from Cayman. Can't get it in U.S. taxes was $3.50 per bottle (750ml) which included a $3.00 admin fee per bottle.

As stated, it appears they are relying on the honesty of cruisers to declare and pay. It is impossible to identify everyone whos carrying liquor unless U.S. customs provides your information on the customs declaration form with them and you have declared liquor. Would not be too shocked if folks start receiving an invoice in the mail.

Anyway, I'm born and raised in Texas and must say that I am ashamed of our lawmakers for doing this. We have always prided ourselves on being more conservative and this strikes me as something a more tax liberal state would do. Well I guess times are changing!