Tell me about Oceania

Jimsgirl

I normally cruise Cunard. Thinking Oceania might be alternative.

What percentage is the solo supplement?

Is seating in main dining room assigned or open?

Would a solo 88 year old female feel "isolated" on Oceania (is it all couples)

Is there a "dress code" I like formal ?

Sending for a brochure would only bring me the PR pictures, not the true story.

Your comments will be most helpful

Thank you

Re. solo cruisers, have seen quite a few solo females in all age ranges.They fit in and have no problem meeting others,esp.since dining is open and you can ask to sit with large group and make friends that way.

Also, many cruises have solo gatherings before dinner.Then you can join some excursions and meet others.Age range varies, depends on itinerary but tends toward older crowd.

Now, dress is country club casual,but often women tend to dress up a little more for dinner.Really flexible, up to you.But not FORMAL dress per se.

Also, look under solo cruiser section here on CC and maybe more info re Oceania experience found there.

PS. on last cruise in Oct. an 86 yr old retired dr. joined us on many occasions(when he found out my DH was dr.)BUt he had a great time,even having to use a walker sometimes.

So read all you can,look at their website, get opinions here.

We love it.but also love Seabourn,Regent,etc. Good choices.:)

100 %..no discount

Totally open no assigned seating and you can ask at all restaurants to share any size table. However, you may have different tablemates every seating. This could limit your social connections is you were used to set tables and seat mates where you could over the cruise develop a relation possibly.

Here you may have a problem as Oceaina is a ship with limited, by design, activites. Many with verandas hole-up in their private space but many do not.

Social activity's would be limited compared to Cunard and other lines. Oceania is a ship for people who can entertain themselves. Well traveled and low key

No, here you may not find Oceania a good fit as there are not formal nights. The dress is casual at best, no tux or gowns, few ties and even fewer jackets for men. Slacks and a nice open collar shirt seem to be the rule Here you will find the exact opposite for Cunard where dress and pomp, are very traditional and formal

Cruise lines are like underwear, They all do the same job but differ in how they fit and function the person.

Thus, it is very important to find what fits you and only you can determine that.

My suggestion is that if you like a line a lot stick with it. Do not assume the grass is greener over the hill. It may be green but a totally different grass.

I love Oceania... but it fits me and it is what it lacks that attracts me ( children,shows,crowds,hype,nickel dime and formal stuffy dress and fixed times.

Thank you

Merry Christmas and God Bless......HD

On our recent Nautica cruise from Barcelona to Dubai several passengers were singles, both male and female. The average age of all aboard was probably around 75, with one single man I met who was 92! Another lady was also 92, and although she was traveling with her niece she was entirely independent, with the two often not sharing activities, including meals.

Passengers aboard O tend to be experienced and fairly independent travelers. As you will see on other threads O's tours are relatively expensive, but they are a good way to participate in activities not otherwise available to a single woman in some areas of the world. If you are fairly outgoing, you will have no problem finding cruise "buddies." One of my favorite things about O is the amazing group of passengers aboard, both couples and singles. There are few children on O, they are not "banned" but there are typically absolutely no activities for young people. That being said, all the O cruises I've taken the children were well behaved and fun to get to know too.

The size of the R ships is small enough you can get to know quite a few people while on a cruise, and you can always find someone to socialize with in any venue aboard. Cruise Critic helps with this by acquainting passengers with one another before embarkation, and a well executed Meet & Greet goes a long way toward greasing the social gears of the group.

Thank you

We will be trying Oceania for the first time in about 3 weeks but,have cruised Cunard. Cunard is a unique experience and very formal. We enjoy dressing up and loved it. DH says it makes him feel like he's in a Humphry Bogart movie. In the past few years we've accepted the trend toward country club casual that has become the norm on most cruise ships. You have to think about what you enjoy most on your cruises and if you want to try something different.

Thank you

I traveled solo on Oceania for 9 years. I was very active in roll calls and set up meet and mingle, tours, etc. I had no trouble meeting others onboard single or couples. Often times, Oceania has deals for single supplements for 125% instead of 200% for a cabin. It may not be an itinerary you want but I never thought I would enjoy the Amazon either. 125%, prepaid gratuities, 800 OBC and I had a free upgraded Delta ticket. Could not afford not to go and glad I did.

Good luck on finding the right cruise.

We will be trying Oceania for the first time in about 3 weeks but,have cruised Cunard. Cunard is a unique experience and very formal. We enjoy dressing up and loved it. DH says it makes him feel like he's in a Humphry Bogart movie. In the past few years we've accepted the trend toward country club casual that has become the norm on most cruise ships. You have to think about what you enjoy most on your cruises and if you want to try something different.

I see where you are booked on the 1/13 Riviera sailing, we are on the Jan 23 Riviera sailing. I wish we could get more of those sailing involved in the CC "Roll Call" to meet other CC members and participate in the "Meet & Greet". Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah. :)

Edited by Offroad911

Suggest you look into Silversea. Many formal nights, right age group and very good for solo travelers.

Note: I love Oceania but do not think it fits in this case.

Agree, we have met very few singles on the R ships and most have been traveling with others and sharing a cabin. You may also may want to look at Crystal which often has 25% for singles as well as those formal nights you will not get on Oceania. Good luck!