Liberty Windjammer Dec 16, 2013

Jack&Laura

Just back. If you like well done, dry, inedible and all around awful food, the Liberty Windjammer is for you! Our 21st cruise...five on RCCL. On the Jewel (2 times), the Windjammer food was so good we never ate in the dining room. On the Liberty, we were FORCED to eat in the dining room. They serve a lot of food, but it sits in the chafing dishes for so long it is totally dry. They serve "minute Steaks" for dinner. One pan says "well done" another pan says "rare". The "rare" were "well done". When I asked, I was told they are the rare. I had to ask the Windjammer manager for a rare steak. Forget the hamburgers. Scrambled eggs well done. Carved beef well done. EVERYONE on the cruise complained about the Windjammer food in particular and all the food overall on the Liberty. Not just us. In short, RCCL should be ashamed for what they are offering in the Windjammer. THIS WAS THE WORST FOOD WE HAVE HAD ON A CRUISE OUT OF 21 CRUISES.

EVERYONE on the cruise complained about the Windjammer food in particular and all the food overall on the Liberty. Not just us.

That's a pretty big brush you're painting with there! lol You must talk to a lot of people. I do too, but didn't quite cover several thousand.

I know for a fact, not "EVERYONE" on the cruise complained about the Windjammer food in particular and all the food overall on the Liberty". :D

We (and I'll go out on a limb here and say a "few" other folks) had some very good food at the WJ and elsewhere. :)

OP - just off the Legend and can echo similarities. We typically eat in WJ for dinner and for convenience of time. We don't like to linger, rarely order dessert, etc or take two hours. Use to be whatever was in MDR was also being served in WJ. Not on the Legend (maybe no longer in general). We had that minute steak offered each night in WJ also. We also saw whatever leftover pasta from lunch, i.e. tortellini's was then transformed into baked pasta in the evening. The desserts rarely changed from day to day and never anything I could stomach.

EVERYONE on the cruise complained about the Windjammer food in particular and all the food overall on the Liberty. Not just us.

Gosh, I've never known anyone who knew "EVERYONE" on their cruise. Interesting! :D

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the food in WJ. How was your cruise otherwise?

We will be on the Liberty in January and will report back. We were on the Independence last January and really enjoyed the selections in the Jade section of the Windjammer. Hope they are still good!!

Although it was before the new menu, I thought the IOS food in general, besides Jade, was just okay. A few things really good, but an awfully lot -- not so much.

To the future cruisers of the Liberty keep in mind food is a subjective subject. I was on Nov 23rd sailing of the Liberty and thought the food was fine. Was it the best ever no, some things I didn't like and some I loved. If you don't like something move on you will find something you do like. It all depends on what your tastes are.

I was on that same cruise and it was not what I wanted to eat. I can always eat the pasta but I did not even know what it was?? I love it on Majesty and Enchantment. Did not have the condiments for the pasta and I never did see meat sauce. I ate sandwiches from the Café. Ordered fruit and cheese plates from room service. Did eat in dining room 2 days for breakfast, Ate in Chops first night. I read somewhere on here that they made the head waiter the chef in Windjammer. If for sure you know better feel free to correct me. Cookies are always good, ate a lot of cookies. :-)

Edited by dealer9296

My .02.

Though I cruised on Brilliance instead of Liberty, I felt Brilliance actually redeemed my view of the overall food on RCCL. Oasis kinda left me scratching my head but I figured it was mostly due to the new menu. Again, after being on Brilliance with the same new menu, I feel the food was much better this go 'round.

Heck, even the Windjammer had great food when we went in there. The only thing that was dry were the turkey sausages. So, I just substituted the "real" sausages every morning. :D

OP, sorry you had a lousy experience. I much prefer the Main Dining Room for dinner because the atmosphere and getting dressed up for formal nights is something that makes a cruise vacation stand out above your average vacation; at least for me.

I hope it doesn't turn you off of RCCL, but if the whole Main Dining thing isn't for you because of the set time why don't you give the My Time Dining a shot?

Couple days ago was on Netflix looking for a late night movie. One unusual one that caught my eye described it as being aboard a ship--can't remember the year it represented. Decided to watch it--everyone was dressed up and the ladies had gloves on up to their elbows. Men always dressed in suits even for breakfast and general walking around. It was an interesting movie to say the least that had little really to do with cruising.

My .02.

OP, sorry you had a lousy experience. I much prefer the Main Dining Room for dinner because the atmosphere and getting dressed up for formal nights is something that makes a cruise vacation stand out above your average vacation; at least for me.

I was on that same cruise and it was not what I wanted to eat. I can always eat the pasta but I did not even know what it was?? I love it on Majesty and Enchantment. Did not have the condiments for the pasta and I never did see meat sauce. I ate sandwiches from the Café. Ordered fruit and cheese plates from room service. Did eat in dining room 2 days for breakfast, Ate in Chops first night. I read somewhere on here that they made the head waiter the chef in Windjammer. If for sure you know better feel free to correct me. Cookies are always good, ate a lot of cookies. :-)

I will correct you. Not sure if you read it in my post but Al was our waiter in mtd. He was promoted to a management position in wj not a chef. I never put in my original post that he became a chef.

I've never been in a room where EVERYONE felt the same thing, much less an entire ship with thousands of passengers. Impressive, to say the least.

ETA: I've also eaten in the Liberty WJ and it was fine... a typical, boring buffet, but fine.

Edited by poncho1973

Going to be one the Liberty in a few weeks. The last time we were on her, the WJ food was fine. In fact, on every cruise the WJ has been very enjoyable for us. I'm not terribly picky though, and have plenty of options, you mentioned MDR as one. I know that I am going to order dinner from the MDR one night for our room and eat on the balcony. (We have a GS) I'm not sure what your options are but, perhaps ordering room service might be an option next time?

BTW, clearly the OP didn't speak to *everyone* on the ship. still, there's no need to pick on one word. S/he's not under oath here, so being a little casual with language hardly deserves all these reprimands.

OP!!! Whats wrong with you???? How dare you offer an opinion that is contrary to those of the "Royal Loyalists" that patrol these boards seeking out such injustices!!!! :D

I am just back of the Serenade, and I too thought that the food in the Windjammer was subpar. It was pretty much as you described it. Meats were overdone, pasta was OK, but the tomato sauce that was next to it was terrible (IMHO), and yes it did magically reform itself into a different (equally tasteless) dish each night!! I didn't expect 5 star steaks, but I've had better ones at the Waffle House than what was available in the Windjammer.

But not only that, it was the same thing each night: roasted chicken, minute steaks, beef stew, fried fish and something carved, 9 nights in a row!!!!! I chose to not eat in the MDR because of the time it takes, time I'd rather spend doing other things. Before this cruise there was generally a nice sampling of what was being served there, but not on this cruise.

Did I starve???? Of course not, but overall, I was dissappointed with my options.

On the bright side, the Roasted Poblano Pepper and Corn soup was awesome!!! My overall cruise experience was also great, so I'm not going to never cruise again.

For all of you who felt the WJ quality of food was less than adequate, how and when did you express your dissatisfaction to RCL?

Any complaint I have has always gone on the end of the cruise survey. I write as much good and bad as I can on the small area. Had I not I would not be on here yapping.

I have actually seen some changes in WJ. I also got a call (from an E-mail letter I wrote and also complaints on several surveys) as to an improvement they needed to make. I got a call saying they would be doing that on the next retrofit.

I think they want to be told things. Companies pay a lot of money for checkers to go around sending suggestions to their main office. They are pretty cheap suggestions when coming from the guest......

Edited by dealer9296

Couple days ago was on Netflix looking for a late night movie. One unusual one that caught my eye described it as being aboard a ship--can't remember the year it represented. Decided to watch it--everyone was dressed up and the ladies had gloves on up to their elbows. Men always dressed in suits even for breakfast and general walking around. It was an interesting movie to say the least that had little really to do with cruising.

"The Looooooove Booooooat ..... " :p